Sponge? Rag? Other?

Options
MrsFarrow
MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
What do you use to wash your dishes and why? Just curious. My mother and I were discussing earlier :)

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I use everything. HAHA...I'm picky so I have dishcloths, sponges, brushes etc. I only like to use what I prefer for particular dishes. I mean if it is a non stick pan, I can't very well scrub with certain things you know? And if it is a wine glass I prefer using a bottle brush ...and if it is a plate I prefer using a dish cloth. Idk, I'm just picky like that. Works for me though! I also like to have a ton of them so I can replace often. I also run everything in the dishwasher or put in bleach.
  • MrsFarrow
    Options
    I actually ruined a lot of my nice non stick bakeware by using sponges that were too rough. I had no clue, I moved from my parents place in with my husband, so I had never really done dishes, as spoiled as it sounds. Color me irritated!!! Lesson learned!
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    mostly sponge with a scour pad attached to the other side... :flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ironic! We were JUST talking about this at the dinner table! We use a sponge, and that is GROSS. I vote rag you can throw in the wash.. And dish towels. Ew. Papertowels haha.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Like Adam in Cold Comfort Farm, I like to use a twig. :laugh: :wink:

Nah, I use a Lola handled brush for some items, and a sponge w/ two different textures (both okay for non-stick).

I don't have a dishwasher, so I often think that a twig is not an awful idea! :bigsmile:
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Dishwasher does the work, but if I have to wash something by hand I use a dishrag.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I use a slightly surly teenager
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I actually ruined a lot of my nice non stick bakeware by using sponges that were too rough. I had no clue, I moved from my parents place in with my husband, so I had never really done dishes, as spoiled as it sounds. Color me irritated!!! Lesson learned!

LOL, that sucks!
    Well- on all nonstick cookware, virtually, or any cookware, they typically have care instructions. I am guessing your kitchen sponges had a scrubbing side? If you have a scouring pad on one side of your sponge- you usually can't use that side on nonstick. I would only use the scouring pads that are specifically nonstick safe.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Funny -- all I had to use today was paper towels -- all of my rags were in the laundry! :blushing:
  • MrsFarrow
    Options
    I've pretty much switched to a rag, unless it's a particularly unruly dish, then I have a handled sponge. I did see a commercial earlier for an "eco friendly" sponge you can run through the dish washer etc. Seems interesting maybe. We're moving into a bigger place in June and it has a dishwasher, thank goodness!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Like Adam in Cold Comfort Farm, I like to use a twig. :laugh: :wink:

Nah, I use a Lola handled brush for some items, and a sponge w/ two different textures (both okay for non-stick).

I don't have a dishwasher, so I often think that a twig is not an awful idea! :bigsmile:

OMG lol!!! I always think of that scene! You know why? Because that movie (I can't resist movies like that) but I always think to myself, how dreadful it really would have been to try to clean up that farm...geez louise. That place would have taken much more than a feeble twig..GROSS. Idk, when I see the 'before' scenes in that film, my mind thinks "just burn it down and rebuild" LOL.
  • carolyn28
    Options
    I knit a square of cotton yarn so then it can be put in the washing machine to freshen constantly
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    dishwasher...but when i wash by hand i use knitted dishcloths :) sponges have too many germs
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sponge with scrubber, dishrag, spongescrubber thingy with soap in the handle and dishwasher. It all depends on the circumstances. My preferred method of washing dishes is someone else doing them though.

Ted
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use a rag. It can be bleached and thrown in the wash. When the fiance does the dishes (once in a blue moon) he uses a sponge. Then it sits by the sink afterwards and starts to stink. Sponged are havens for bacteria to grow, gross!
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    Ironic! We were JUST talking about this at the dinner table! We use a sponge, and that is GROSS. I vote rag you can throw in the wash.. And dish towels. Ew. Papertowels haha.

I knoww using sponges is so disgusting...i never thought bout actually throwing the rags int he dis washer...lol but even tho i thin sponges are digusting i just lovee to buy em
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    Dish rags. I use one and sometimes two fresh. They are thrown in the wash every evening after dinner dishes.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    We use a sponge. You can disinfect it by wetting it and popping it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use those scrubby wand sort of things to get off the gunk and then into our joke of a dishwasher.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sponge with a soft side and a scrubber side, wet it and pop it in to microwave for 10-15 seconds kills any germs.