P90x

Options
I am completing the P90X program but don't see it listed in the listings for exercise. I want to add it myself but am not sure how many calories each one burns, although I know it's alot, I don't know specifics. Can anyone help?

Replies

• HoboRat
    HoboRat Posts: 13
    Options
    Beachbody says every P90X exercise (except abs) is designed to burn approx 600 calories. That's what I use for my estimates. I give Ab Ripper about 200. The P90X PLUS workouts are the same. Shorter time frame but same calories (more intensity).
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and "Create a New Exercise" to log my P90X workouts.

Hope this helps :-)
  • pinkpowerrangerdede
    Options
    oh yeah... that's going to be a lot! great job! ive got the ab ripper, but i'm not sure what the calories burn will be. sometimes the system will calculate it for you. if not you might try answers.com or google. if i find anything i'll let you know. do it! dede
  • pinkpowerrangerdede
    Options
    oh yeah... that's going to be a lot! great job! ive got the ab ripper, but i'm not sure what the calories burn will be. sometimes the system will calculate it for you. if not you might try answers.com or google. if i find anything i'll let you know. do it! dede
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nothing on here is accurate as it is all completely dependent on your body composition and general fitness!

Best thing you can do for yourself is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). Mine was $400 AUD down from $500 AUD (Garmin Forerunner 400CX) Well worth the money but they are not all that expensive,

You could probably get away with a cheaper Garmin or Polar for between $100-$200 :)

Other than that just estimate you burned 75% of what it suggests you have burned, better to under estimate rather than Over estimate and then be eating all of those calories again.

Good luck :)
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honesty it's going to vary person to person A LOT! I generally burn about 400 and something per workout (I'm a 140lb 5'7" female). My boyfriend will do the same workout and burn about 700 and something and he's 6'2" and 230ish lbs. Your best bet is to invest in a nice heart rate monitor ASAP. That way you know exactly what your burning and you can enter it into MFP manually.
  • kolbyjack
    kolbyjack Posts: 71
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 400-600 calories depending on the exercise. Ab ripper for me is only 100 calories. It varies by person. I am 5'6" and 150lbs. I have a heart rate monitor. I bought mine at Big 5 Sporting Goods. I think it is Bowflex brand? Anyways, it was on sale for $39.99 down from $120! It works great! That is the only way I know how many calories to log...Hope I helped a little bit. Bring it!
  • HoboRat
    Options
    You people are all really obsessed aren't you? You don't need to spend a thousand dollars for electronic equipment in order to find out you burned 192 calories instead of the 200 estimate. That's rediculous. This site is for you to track your intake with a "reasonable" accuracy so you can see what your habits are and adjust them. You don't need to obsessively track every calorie perfectly every minute of the day. That's anal. And if your goal is to find out how many extra calories you have so you can EAT MORE ..... you've completely missed the point. I watched my intake and adjusted what I eat so that, with my workouts, I now generally have a surplus of 500 to 1000 calories a day and I'm still eating good and healthy. That's how to lose weight. Obsessing over your high-dollar equipment is just a new way for you to add stress to your lives and you don't need it.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You people are all really obsessed aren't you? You don't need to spend a thousand dollars for electronic equipment in order to find out you burned 192 calories instead of the 200 estimate. That's rediculous. This site is for you to track your intake with a "reasonable" accuracy so you can see what your habits are and adjust them. You don't need to obsessively track every calorie perfectly every minute of the day. That's anal. And if your goal is to find out how many extra calories you have so you can EAT MORE ..... you've completely missed the point. I watched my intake and adjusted what I eat so that, with my workouts, I now generally have a surplus of 500 to 1000 calories a day and I'm still eating good and healthy. That's how to lose weight. Obsessing over your high-dollar equipment is just a new way for you to add stress to your lives and you don't need it.

Well, la de da. Actually reliable HRM's run $50-$100, not thousands of dollars. Yes, and some people take their calorie intake and burn very seriously. That's not being anal, that's understanding how your own body works compares to others. What a foolish statement.
  • HoboRat
    Options
    Well ... hoop de do. You don't need to know how your body works compared to others. You just need to know how yours works. Yes, it is anal to obsessively track. There is no need for it. But, Americans typically try to make everything a competition (gotta be better than the neighbors, have more stuff, better stuff). The only person you are competing against and trying to improve is ...... yourself. If you want to be snotty and attack me, it's your dime, but I don't care. I'll be stress free, and weigh less than you (nyah nyah :-D). You just don't get it. My statement wasn't foolish, but yours sure was.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Beachbody says every P90X exercise (except abs) is designed to burn approx 600 calories. That's what I use for my estimates. I give Ab Ripper about 200. The P90X PLUS workouts are the same. Shorter time frame but same calories (more intensity).
    The P90X workouts are not "designed" to burn 600 cals across the board for everyone. There's no such thing as an exercise that has the same burn for every different person. The makers made a blanket statement of 600 cals simply cuz they chose not to open that whole can of worms. It's complex, as one of the posters pointed out, and varies with every individual.

As to the importance of knowing your specific burn, if your goal is simply to lose some weight, then going by general estimates MAY work fine for you. If you find yourself struggling to lose (or gain depending on your goal) as so many MFPers do, I'd sure want to find out some of the variables (like cal burn) so I could eliminate them. Case in point: My first round of P90X I relied on their 600 cal estimates for about a month and wasn't really seeing any weight come off. Once I got a HRM & saw that my burn was more like 250-275 per workout (mostly cuz I'm less than avg size and already in pretty good cardiovascular condition) I adjusted my intake accordingly, and the weight really started coming off. I definitely would not call a 600 calorie expenditure "reasonably accurate" for me.
  • DeidreFisher
    DeidreFisher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does any one know how to estimate calories burned for the 2 bonus workouts of P90X?