Calories

Options
MFP says that i need 1468 per day to lose 2 lbs per week but i think that is extremely low considering that i'm still usually hungry when i eat 2000 a day. Freedieting.com says that I need a MINIMUM of 1968 for extreme fat loss, around 2200 for fat loss and around 2700 to maintain my current weight. Im not sure which one I should use but I do know that 1468 is way to low for me. Can someone help please!!!! Oh yeah i'm 5"11

Replies

• moto1919
    moto1919 Posts: 2
    Options
    you should def not be loosing 10lbs per week. the average woman only looses 1-2 pounds per week and thats considerd healthy. i wouldnt try to loose more than 3 pounds per week. you want to stay healthy. 2000 cal is average. are you working out to burn claories your eating? if you burn 500 calories you can eat those calories too.
  • hgmoore44
    hgmoore44 Posts: 43
    Options
    i meant 2lbs per week and I work out 3-4 times a week averaging 850 calories w/ cardio alone.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you should def not be loosing 10lbs per week. the average woman only looses 1-2 pounds per week and thats considerd healthy. i wouldnt try to loose more than 3 pounds per week. you want to stay healthy. 2000 cal is average. are you working out to burn claories your eating? if you burn 500 calories you can eat those calories too.

pretty sure she misspoke. She really wouldn't be on that cal level if she was trying to lose that much
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    no can lose 10 pounds a week eating 1500 calories. I am wondering if this is a typo.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    10 lbs a week?!?!? You don't want to send your body into shock and cause survival mode to kick in...I would stick with the MFP calorie intake. I lost 5 lbs my first week and I have been trying to lose for three years. 2-3 lbs a week is a healthy rate of losing.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a try at a bit higher, and if you still lose, stick with it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    aaah......

you have to push through it.....you are going to be hungry at first---you would not be normal if you were'nt. Push through it for a few days and you will get used to it. Its like going through withdrawals. Be strong. Choose high quality foods and eat 6 times a day. 1200 should help you lose.
  • smylex
    smylex Posts: 14
    Options
    That amount of calories for 2 lbs. loss a week is standard. What you have to take into account is that you also need to exercise. The benefits of exercise can't be underestimated, but not only that, when you burn off calories from exercising, you can eat more. This will also help you lose weight faster as muscle burns calories faster than fat ever can.

By way of example, my goal is to lose 2 lbs. a week. Because of my activity levels yesterday, I needed to eat nearly DOUBLE my caloric intake in order to reach my calorie level without entering starvation mode, and I was still under by 506 calories simply because I couldn't eat anymore. 33 minutes on a treadmill, 3 minutes of sit ups at a vigorous pace, walking a mile to and from the gym, weight lifting and an hour of Karate burned off 1423 calories.
  • bigbeth_02
    bigbeth_02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i only get 1200 calories how do u think i feel ???
  • hgmoore44
    Options
    smylex my diary is open. you can view it if you like. i work out a good bit and i wouldnt say im muscular but I have muscles. (former athlete) I usually try to avoid eating my calories back because i feel like it would hinder the weight loss process. I didn't know that could send me into starvation mode also. Thanks for the enlightenment.
  • hgmoore44
    Options
    bigbeth go to freedieting.com and put in your info and see what they give you. it's a possibility that you could up your caloried but it all depends on you height, weight and activity level.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    i meant 2lbs per week and I work out 3-4 times a week averaging 850 calories w/ cardio alone.

Are you eating your exercise calories? You are supposed to here.

MFP calculates your calories differently from most other sites.

First, they use a different BMR formula than most do.

Second, they do NOT count your 'planned' exercise.

Third, your 'activity level' on MFP is meant ONLY to represent your average workday at your job, exclusive of purposeful exercise.

So MFP calculates your goal like this:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories) - 1000 calories for a 2lb per week weight loss.

If you exercise, the equation looks like this:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories + Exercise calories) - 1000 calories for a 2lb per week weight loss.

In other words, MFP calculates a consistent 1000 calorie daily deficit whether or not you exercise. That's why you're supposed to log your exercise calories and then eat your exercise calories here.

Most other sites assume that you will do your planned exercise and base your calorie goals on that, which means they give you the same calorie goal every day. On MFP, your calorie goal will vary when you exercise.
  • hgmoore44
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them back but I tried not to thinking that it would slow my weight loss process down. I guess I should start eating them. Thanks for the response!

Are you eating your exercise calories? You are supposed to here.

MFP calculates your calories differently from most other sites.

First, they use a different BMR formula than most do.

Second, they do NOT count your 'planned' exercise.

Third, your 'activity level' on MFP is meant ONLY to represent your average workday at your job, exclusive of purposeful exercise.

So MFP calculates your goal like this:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories) - 1000 calories for a 2lb per week weight loss.

If you exercise, the equation looks like this:

(BMR calories + Activity Level calories + Exercise calories) - 1000 calories for a 2lb per week weight loss.

In other words, MFP calculates a consistent 1000 calorie daily deficit whether or not you exercise. That's why you're supposed to log your exercise calories and then eat your exercise calories here.

Most other sites assume that you will do your planned exercise and base your calorie goals on that, which means they give you the same calorie goal every day. On MFP, your calorie goal will vary when you exercise.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I would like to second the last post. On this site you need to enter in the exercise you do and those calories you burned will be added into your daily calorie goal so you get to eat more. After you add in your exercise your daily calorie goals will be higher and closer to what you saw on the other site. The other site has already added in your exercise to your daily calorie goal. I think MFP's way is a little better as if you work out harder you get to eat more calories and you also aren't adding in extra calories on those days that you don't work out.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    bigbeth go to freedieting.com and put in your info and see what they give you. it's a possibility that you could up your caloried but it all depends on you height, weight and activity level.

OK, just tried this.

If I enter my activity level the same way that it is entered on MFP, which is representing my 8 hr workday, this other calculator gives me 2 more calories than MFP does for 'extreme fat loss' and 70 more for 'fat loss'. (My MFP goal is set to 1lb loss per week, by the way, so that's only a 500 calorie per day deficit.)

My guess is that the difference between the other site's numbers and MFP is the different BMR formulas.
  • hgmoore44
    Options
    Thanks for all of the insight. I really appreciate it! So I'll start over from here using the advice that you all have given me and stick with it as much as possible. Im sure it won't be a problem with me being hungry if I eat the exercise calories back because I work out a good bit. I'll probably be too full to eat them all back lol Again, thanks for the advice and good luck on your journeys.