**Important Info on Shin Splints**

Options
I am no expert, but I found this information and felt the need to share it with all of you. Obviously if you are experiencing pain while working out you should talk to your doctor. But not all of us have that option or are just too darn stubborn to do it, so listen up!

90% of shin pain is bone related. This is caused when the bone starts to swell because of pressure most likely caused by your foot rolling in as you run. Don't ignore it! Try buying a pair of shoes that has added arch support to try to prevent this, or buy a removable orthotic that has a stiff arch.( in some cases do both!) **If you try to power through you can cause a stress fracture in the bone** You don't want that!

Another great piece of advice I read was some simple exercises that can help prevent shin splints. These are so simple and can save you a lot of pain!

Exercise 1: Stand with your heels together and your toes pointed out (think ballet) and slowly rise up to your toes then slowly come back down. Do 1 set of 10.

Exercise 2: Stand with your big toes touching and your heels pointed out. Slowly rise up to your toes and come back down. Do 1 set of 10.

I know it sounds weird but it actually felt good when I finished and its soooo simple and fast to do. And seriously if a quick 30 second exercise can prevent shin pain isn't it worth it?I hope some of you will find this helpful and pass this on to your friends. Don't hurt yourself in the process of getting healthy!

Here is a link to where I am getting my information : http://bcove.me/gueqr0ia

Replies

• heatherann76
    Options
    thanks!
  • cfer843625
    Options
    Thanks for that info!!!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks :)
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Thank you! Since I'm currently dealing with this I seriously say THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had to go to an outdoor/sports store to have someone watch me walk/run. I have been wearing the shoes that she recommended and haven't had shin splints since then. Thanks for the info on the exercises :)
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :smile:
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The few times I've run outside shin pain has been a serious issue.
  • taylor82
    taylor82 Posts: 8
    Options
    Ohh how I love to show this post to my high school gym teacher. She made me run even though I was really over weight and had this problem really bad! Thanks alot for this post
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The feet are supposed to roll in when running in order to activate the arch of the foot to absorb running impact. Shoes that prevent the feet from moving as they are designed to move, and which prevent the arch from compressing as it is designed to compress, and which encourage people to land on their heels instead of their fore and mid foot are a major contributing cause of shin splints.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Shin splints can also come from over-striding (taking to big of steps). Trying to keep your feet under you instead of in front of you stops you from stretching out the front of your leg in order to pull yourself forward. You can also search for methods to 'tape' your shins (actually involves taping your feet).

Another reliever for shin pain is to spell out the alphabet with your toes/foot. Do this a few times a day and it will help!

And always--get good shoes!
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks.