Need motivation now

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
It is very hard for me to stick to the meal plan during holidays. Special meals and guests at the table make it very difficult for me to resist the temptation to eat food that I should not eat.

Holidays and special situations like going out with visitors are the most challenging to me. They are as difficult as emotional eating or eating while TV is on.

There are two more holiday days for me. I already failed the first one (tonight). Need motivation.

Please post obvious truths, reminders, words of wisdom, or anything else that will work for the “weak ones” like me.

Replies

• Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a weak one too! But just remember that this isn't about perfection, it's about adapting to a new way of life... A smart one that will benefit you in the end of it all. You can eat what you want, just watch the portion sizes
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Holidays / family dinners are excruciatingly hard to keep eating healthy, but fear not! It's okay to deviate once in a while. So what if you go over your calorie goal a few days here and there. It's not a diet, but a life style change and you can't be expected to eat perfectly every day for the rest of your life. I've heard even weight watchers gives it's clients like.. 35 "bonus" points a week in case you want to have a piece of birthday cake or go to a buffet.

Anyway, don't beat yourself up over it. Just try putting a few extra veggies on your plate and feasting on them first, so it's harder to stuff the good food down since you'll be halfway full :)
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think we all struggle with this. My advice is not to turn down anything, but just take small portions. That way, you won't insult anyone and you'll get the taste of yummy food. Other things to try - put your fork down between bites and listen to your stomach. Is it still hungry? If so, try another bite and another fork down. If it's not hungry, ask yourself if you want to eat it because it tastes so good in your mouth and if so will you regret it tomorrow? My personal problem is eating too much yummy stuff and not using moderation. By the way, if the answer is that you still really want it, go for it. My goal during holidays is to generally not gain weight. If I don't gain, I consider that a success. Disclaimer - if you are unhealthily super overweight, don't listen to me, just do what your doctor advises. Best of luck to you!
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Failure is relative! Have you been doing great but you just "Failed" last night, on the holiday??? I am not sure I think that's a FAIL. You just need more good days than bad, right? It's 80/20, eighty good and maybe 20 bad. Nobody is perfect. I agree with some of the other posters...make your goal to eat some smaller portions and quit eating when you are full. Maybe go for a walk with one or more of your guests after your big meal? That might be helpful. Good luck to you!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    short and sweet:

Food is fuel not for pleasure----keep saying that to yourself. Don't forget to enjoy the people around you and not the food.

Happy Easter/Passover
  • coakes31
    coakes31 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its easier said than done I know, but this is what I know and try to go by.

When going to family/friends houses for holiday meals use a smaller plate. If there isn't one out, ask for one or bring your own. This will help you stay on track with the amount of food you put on it. You should be able to see the outside of the plate when your filling it. Try having 3/4th of the plate veggies and the other 1/2 your meat. If you feel the urge to snack look for the healthy stuff, veggies and fruit and if you cant fight your sweet cravings its ok to indulge but in moderation and when you take a piece of something try cutting it in half before it gets on your plate or ask for a smaller serving....

When going out to restaurants, see if the place has a section that has healthy meals or lists low cal ones (like Applebees) and choose from there. Just be smart, you already know whats good and what isn't.

And in case you fail and slip up (sometimes we do, were human) just remember tomorrow is a new day and start over.

LOG, LOG, LOG everything your taking in. Later on you will be able to see what kind of stuff your eating and will know what to try to stay away from the next time.

Drink your water, maybe drink a glass before you eat if you can or eat an apple 15mn before your meal. It is supposed to make you feel fuller when you eat, so that you eat less of your meal. I saw that on Dr Oz.

Also, get your work outs in too. So if you over indulge you can burn some of those calories! =)

Were not weak, were human but stay positive and tell yourself you are strong and can do this.

Hope this helps!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    None of us are perfect and I'm sure everyone has had the same dilemma. I would say eat the foods but just smaller portions and chew slowly, eat slowly. You can make up for the extra calories and such the following day or week. Enjoy yourself and don't feel down on yourself. A little reward at times helps us rather than denying oneself completely. I know this works for me.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    We have been on Spring Break this week and I have gone over my calorie goal for three days in a row! I feel horrible and I am so dissapointed in myself! I am so weak when it comes to temptations. Give yourself a break, tomorrow is a new day and you're not the only one who falls off the wagon. :)

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • Nicksmom1974
    Options
    Just for the holidays, I would say it is ok to have a small taste of whatever you want....just remember to indulge in moderation. I found that this works for me during the hard holidays like Christmas and Easter where there is just really too much food. I also made sure to keep up with the exercise so that way you can at least burn off some of what you ate. While I didn't loose any weight, I did not gain any either.

I think you can make it through the holiday with success. Just remember that you are doing this for yourself.
  • Angelcakes2010
    Angelcakes2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im not going to lie to you, tonight I am going to eat bad, chips and chocolate covered pretzels lol. I know that i do not feel the best about that decision but Ill tell you this for four months i have been trying my very best to make healthier decisions so that I dont go all crazy on junk food, i exercise, i eat good and I think that I am allowed an exception snack once in while, Enjoy your weekend, and get back on the horse on monday, This is about making healthy decisions and enjoying life, not punishing yourself.

Have a great Easter...
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding to my post.

I will probably disappoint my virtual friends here.

This is a special time of the year for my family and I decided not to frustrate myself with conflicting emotions for the next two days.

I rationalized to myself that since weight-loss came relatively easy to me, it wouldn’t be a big deal to eat some food that does not support weight-loss.

I know that my approach contradicts the principals of losing weight and is not consistent with best advices promoted on this website.

Obviously I need more motivation and perhaps a little virtual spanking. I believe I need more of the first one, but will understand criticism as well. It may be exactly what I need at this moment.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect on here! Don't sweat it and enjoy the time with your family and not stressed out about what you are eating. A few days off won't hurt you. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need a cheerleader in your corner. :) Good luck on your journey. :)
  • janickc
    janickc Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm so bad on holliday... i just do domage control!!! my tools: NOT confortable pans, than i can't eat too much! good luck to evry one!