Calorie Counter - Daily Goals

Options
Hi All,

I have a question... obviously. :happy:

While I try stick to my daily goal calories (just learning to eat more so to lose weight :smile: ), I am wondering if it is bad if I dont stick to the rest?

For example:

1) Is it bad if I eat more FIBRE than my daily goal amount per day?
2) Is it bad if I dont manage to eat all the carbs that my daily goal suggests?

Obviously I know not to go over my saturdated fat allowance. Just unsure about the rest and how it would impact my weightloss. To give you an example of what I mean, here is my food diary for today (I already included my dinner):

Calorie Goal: 1,340
Total Calories Today: 1,048
(so I am 292 down on my calorie allowance. I simply dont know what else to eat, I already ate so much today!) :ohwell:

Carbs Goal: 184
Carbs Total Today: 119
(so 65 down on my carbs allowance)

Sat Fat Goal: 15
Sat Fat Total Today: 9
( 6 down on my sat fat allowance)

Fibre Goal: 15
Total Fibre Today: 15
(so 0 left to eat, what if I was to go over my allowance by 2 or 3?)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Hanna :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi All,

I have a question... obviously. :happy:

While I try stick to my daily goal calories (just learning to eat more so to lose weight :smile: ), I am wondering if it is bad if I dont stick to the rest?

For example:

1) Is it bad if I eat more FIBRE than my daily goal amount per day?
    2) Is it bad if I dont manage to eat all the carbs that my daily goal suggests?

Obviously I know not to go over my saturdated fat allowance. Just unsure about the rest and how it would impact my weightloss. To give you an example of what I mean, here is my food diary for today (I already included my dinner):

Calorie Goal: 1,340
    Total Calories Today: 1,048
    (so I am 292 down on my calorie allowance. I simply dont know what else to eat, I already ate so much today!) :ohwell:

Carbs Goal: 184
    Carbs Total Today: 119
    (so 65 down on my carbs allowance)

Sat Fat Goal: 15
    Sat Fat Total Today: 9
    ( 6 down on my sat fat allowance)

Fibre Goal: 15
    Total Fibre Today: 15
    (so 0 left to eat, what if I was to go over my allowance by 2 or 3?)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Hanna :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Sorry, you should never ever eat less than 1200 and given your age/weight to lose, you should be looking at 1300-1400 and NO MORE than 1 pound per week loss.

Eat more fiber--MFP is way under guidelines on fiber for some reason. Aim for 20-25.

Eat more "good fat"--PB, olive oil, avocados, etc. Your body needs a certain amount of "good" fat to function properly

Same with carbs--good carbs--not white bread, etc. but whole wheat/grain, etc. Carbs are not evil and your body needs them
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Most of the suggestions MFP gives you, aside from calories, are just basic guidlines for health. I actually have my fiber goal manually increased up to 40 and half the time I still go over, because I'm a vegetarian, so pretty much everything I eat has fiber.

Extra fiber is good for you, though I wouldn't suggest jumping right up to as much as I take in, because it might bind you up if you're not used to it. Increasing by a few grams is a healthy way to go, until you find a comfortable level. The extra fiber will help keep you regular, and there's also something called the "Fiber Flush Effect" which states that for every gram of fiber you consume in a day, your body eliminates 7 calories. I think for most people a healthy level is 25-30 g.

The same goes for all your other goals, you can adjust these to find what works for you. Going under on your carbs isn't bad, unless you severely restrict them. The same goes for your other guidelines, as long as you're getting healthy levels of each thing, you can play with your numbers until you find the best goals for your lifestyle.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Eat more. Sorry, you should never ever eat less than 1200 and given your age/weight to lose, you should be looking at 1300-1400 and NO MORE than 1 pound per week loss.

Eat more fiber--MFP is way under guidelines on fiber for some reason. Aim for 20-25.

Eat more "good fat"--PB, olive oil, avocados, etc. Your body needs a certain amount of "good" fat to function properly

Same with carbs--good carbs--not white bread, etc. but whole wheat/grain, etc. Carbs are not evil and your body needs them

Hi Shorerider and thank you for the advise on Fibre and Carbs.

I have just eaten a yoghurt for 49 cals just to up my calories. I feel stuffed like a turkey at christmas!
    I have planned to eat a soup tonight with a sausage. But I dont feel like eating it at all, I am that full :frown:

How do you make sure you eat your calorie allowance? I dont know what else to eat today to make sure I get over the 1200 cals/ day mark. :ohwell:
  • jjett822
    Options
    I would like to know what kinds of foods you are eating???
    Are you excercising??
    Are you eating lean proteins??
    vegetables??
    complex carbs??

The amount of fiber you should consume in a day is a minimum of 24 grams.
    :smile:
  • HustleRose
    Options
    If you grab a handful of almonds or other healthy nuts, that should help. They're the best for pushing up your calories.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Most of the suggestions MFP gives you, aside from calories, are just basic guidlines for health. I actually have my fiber goal manually increased up to 40 and half the time I still go over, because I'm a vegetarian, so pretty much everything I eat has fiber.

Extra fiber is good for you, though I wouldn't suggest jumping right up to as much as I take in, because it might bind you up if you're not used to it. Increasing by a few grams is a healthy way to go, until you find a comfortable level. The extra fiber will help keep you regular, and there's also something called the "Fiber Flush Effect" which states that for every gram of fiber you consume in a day, your body eliminates 7 calories. I think for most people a healthy level is 25-30 g.

The same goes for all your other goals, you can adjust these to find what works for you. Going under on your carbs isn't bad, unless you severely restrict them. The same goes for your other guidelines, as long as you're getting healthy levels of each thing, you can play with your numbers until you find the best goals for your lifestyle.

Thanks for the tip. I just adjusted my Fibre Goal to 20 per day. :)
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Are you excercising??
    vegetables??
    complex carbs??

Well today I had a wholeweat roll with light philadelphia for breakfast, then a yoghurt, then for lunch I had a vegetable soup, then I ate 2 ryvita muesli crunch slices, then I had a mixed salad (olives, tomato, cucumber, green leaves, feta), then another yoghurt. Tonight I have planned to eat a Lentil & potato soup (118 cals) with 2 sausages in it (184 cals for both sausages).

What do you think?
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Are you excercising??
    vegetables??
    complex carbs??

Well today I had a wholeweat roll with light philadelphia for breakfast, then a yoghurt, then for lunch I had a vegetable soup, then I ate 2 ryvita muesli crunch slices, then I had a mixed salad (olives, tomato, cucumber, green leaves, feta), then another yoghurt. Tonight I have planned to eat a Lentil & potato soup (118 cals) with 2 sausages in it (184 cals for both sausages).

What do you think?

PS: forgot to say I exercise 3 times a week. and burn around 500 cals each time. :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising on top of that, you are not eating enough at all!

Try more calorie rich foods--PB, avocados, cheese, milk, bananas, nuts, etc. Add a little olive oil to stuff to up the fat and calories as well--good for you, too.
  • jjett822
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough.
    If you are eating the same foods everyday, you might want to switch it up a little.
    Breakfast: How about oatmeal with a fruit, but the oatmeal has to be whole grain, and egg whites
    snack: protein bar...
    Lunch: Turkey burger with spinach, quineoa and a veggie
    snack: cottage cheese with a fruit or hummus with a vegetable
    Dinner: the soup does sound good, about the sausage, is it a lean sausage??
    snack: yogurt (like a Dannon light)

Are you working out??
    I hope this helps you out. It is important to feed your body, so your body can perform for you.

Good Luck.....:smile:
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough.
    If you are eating the same foods everyday, you might want to switch it up a little.
    Breakfast: How about oatmeal with a fruit, but the oatmeal has to be whole grain, and egg whites
    snack: protein bar...
    Lunch: Turkey burger with spinach, quineoa and a veggie
    snack: cottage cheese with a fruit or hummus with a vegetable
    Dinner: the soup does sound good, about the sausage, is it a lean sausage??
    snack: yogurt (like a Dannon light)

Are you working out??
    I hope this helps you out. It is important to feed your body, so your body can perform for you.

Good Luck.....:smile:

Thank you :smile:
    I actually feel like I have over eaten today believe it or not!

I am just now munching on dry special K flakes (1 cup) to get the calories up... :noway:
    I am soooooooooooooooooo full :sick:

I dont eat the same foods every day, but this what I listed was what I ate today. I usually eat a soup for dinner, I heard you shouldnt eat a big meal for dinner. The sausage is a hot dog.

I will try the protein bars and the humus with vegetables for snacks.