fasting??

Options
Will fasting help to *reset* my metabolism? my doctor recommended it, I can have clear fluids and fresh fruit if i get woozy, she said to do that for 2 days and then start eating my appropriate calories and that it would work as a jump start. what do you guys think??

Replies

• JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    Will fasting help to *reset* my metabolism? my doctor recommended it, I can have clear fluids and fresh fruit if i get woozy, she said to do that for 2 days and then start eating my appropriate calories and that it would work as a jump start. what do you guys think??
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If it's doctor recommended, I'm all for it. :flowerforyou:
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it never tried it.

But its worth a try if your doctor recommended it.

All you can have is clear liquid and fruits?
  • JJLM
    Options
    yup and i'm making it!!! so far LOL I have had 2 kids and breastfed for 18mos and had to take a harsh steroid (prednisone) for a year so she said that i need to help my body reset

so far today i have had
    juice
    water
    chicken broth
    pineapple

and i don't even feel that hungry, but i have had a LOT of water
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how it goes please keep me posted...

And maybe I will try it also.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I 'm going to keep an eye on this too; the thought of going without food for a couple days frightens me. It can't be easy. Sure wouldn't be able to do it during the work week, and I wouldn't wanna make my family uncomfortable around me (grrrrr) while doing it. I'd be hungry, no doubt about it.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Fasting slows down your metabolism. Your body needs fuel to burn. :smile:

I'm horrible at finding old threads, but I know there's some good articles here regarding fasting. :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I would love to know how it goes please keep me posted...

And maybe I will try it also.
    unless your doctor gives you the go ahead I wouldn't try it. What's right for some isn't right for everyone. Health conditions, age, weight would all have to be considered by your physician.
  • JJLM
    Options
    I should add, so as not to encourage others, that my doctor only recommended i do it once for 48 hours. not consistantly, or routinely, but as a *natural* thing to try 1st
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If your doctor recommended it then I'm sure it's fine but don't beleive it will kick start your metabolism. It will kick start some weight loss as you will probably loose quite a bit in water weight and have a larger than normal calorie deficit for those two days/ So, from that perspective , it can help get you started down the right path. However, going without food would have the effect of slowing your metabolism, not speeding it up. For two days, no harm, but as a regular program or for a longer period of time, it could be very detrimental.