recipes gone bad

Options
anewattitude
anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
I once made a potato salad and forgot to actually cook the potatoes.....

what's your culinary disaster story?

Replies

• DreaMartinez
    Options
    I made tuna noodle casserole and forgot the tuna.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    my delia smith christmas cake that i attempted this year from her recipie kit was a disaster, despite following the the recipe to the letter it was still sloppy, so i put it in the oven for 3 hours more and it was only just cooked i gave up after that, turned it out onto the cooling rack and it just started to sink through the mesh, we did try it on christmas day but although it did taste nice it was to soggy, ironically i left it on the side and found myself nibbling on the slice i had cut the following morning and it was much better since it had gone stale lol
  • Mellissande
    Options
    Made biscuits once and accidentally used all purpose flour instead of self rising... That made them Crackers that were soo hard They could dent the floor if you dropped them lol
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a few that are neck and neck: When I was about 12 I started learning how to cook. First item: chocolate chip cookies. Now, I knew that cookies, when they come out of the oven, are nice and smooth and round. I did not know that baking them is what gets them this way. I made the dough according to the directions, and dropped the cookies by the spoonful onto the sheet. They fell in sticky blobs off the spoon. This is normal. I did not know that. So I take each sticky blob and roll it in flour until it's nice and smooth and doesn't leave a trace of dough on my hands when I flattened each one into the perfect cookie shape. Needless to say my cookies turned into perfectly shaped rocks when I got them out of the oven.

The second thing was a vinegar and a mexican phase that I got into when I was about 14. Everything had to have vinegar or be mexicanized. Well, mashed potatoes should not ever have vinegar added to them. Nor should they be mexicanized either. Cumin, chili powder and garlic do not belong in mashed potatoes, especially in the amounts that I added them.

The third was a pecan pie that I made at 15. I wanted it to be solid pecans so I added about 3 extra cups of nuts to the mixture. When I put it in the pan it looked beautiful. After about 20 minutes of being in the oven the kitchen started filling with smoke. When I opened the oven door i saw that all the pecans had floated to the top and spilled out of the pie shell and onto the floor of the oven. My mother was so pissed lol it took forever to get all that syrupy stuff off.....:laugh:
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I once made a potato salad and forgot to actually cook the potatoes.....

what's your culinary disaster story?

What you have to cook the potatoes first??? Now I know why nobody ate my tator salad :tongue:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I forgot I'd put eggs on to boil. They boiled dry and burnt!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The oven in our old house had a nob that switched from bake to broil. I made a meatloaf and charred the top before the meatloaf was actually cooked through. Then I cooked Easter dinner, and while the ham was fine (it was covered in foil), my side dishes were a bit charred on top. I tried telling my SO the oven was on the fritz and I needed a new one. It was a good couple of weeks before I realized I had forgotten to switch the nob back to bake. I had been broiling the hell out of everything.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ok I made a recipe called "can't fail 5 minute fudge" for some reason I read the recipe wrong and added powdered milk. I cant remember how I thought it was supposed to be in there but it was awful and lumpy.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Forgot to take the gross bag of guts out of the Turkey.
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    A few yrs ago when I was like 16 I think I tried making my mom dinner. I was making garlic mashed potatoes and it called for I think 5 garlic cloves. Well..........I didn't know cloves were the little PIECES of the garlic, I thought cloves were the bulbs themselves. So I put 5 full garlic bulbs in, needless to say it wasn't edible. I can thankfully say I've become a much better cook since then.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    these are really fun to read!

Thanks for sharing :)
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    when I was about 12 I baked a cake using my kids cookbook all alone I misread the salt instruction and added way too much, my poor Dad didn't want to hurt my feelings, but he didn't want to eat salty cake.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    reading a recipe as 2 cups of applesauce instead of 2 tablespoons. your brownie will not set up. ever. not even if you cook it for several hours. it will remain pudding. forever and ever. amen.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A few yrs ago when I was like 16 I think I tried making my mom dinner. I was making garlic mashed potatoes and it called for I think 5 garlic cloves. Well..........I didn't know cloves were the little PIECES of the garlic, I thought cloves were the bulbs themselves. So I put 5 full garlic bulbs in, needless to say it wasn't edible. I can thankfully say I've become a much better cook since then.

LOL DH did this, I felt so bad for him, I used to work the night shift when we were dating. He stayed up and made minestrone in the crock pot so we could have it for dinner when we got up. I came home from work and the whole apartment smelled like garlic. He said well it called for 3 cloves of garlic, yes sweety a clove is just one peice not the whole bulb. I felt terrible that he did all that work to make a totally inedible dinner. The worst part is thinking of him peeling and mincing 3 bulbs of garlic.