Medifast diet plan for my mom

Options
Has anyone heard of or tried a diet through a company called Medifast? My mom is going on it and she said that the compnay will send her pre-packed food for a month for $300. It is all dry food, very high soy protein. She will still need to make her own normal dinner, not the prepackaged stuff. She said it's guaranteed to have her lose 1-5 lbs. per week.

I am skeptical of stuff like this because I think the best way is eating healthy and counting calories and working out... and that doesn't cost anything besides normal lifestyle money. But if it will help my mom, who is quite overweight and who has wanted to lose weight for a long time with no success, then I want to support her. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of or tried a diet through a company called Medifast? My mom is going on it and she said that the compnay will send her pre-packed food for a month for $300. It is all dry food, very high soy protein. She will still need to make her own normal dinner, not the prepackaged stuff. She said it's guaranteed to have her lose 1-5 lbs. per week.

I am skeptical of stuff like this because I think the best way is eating healthy and counting calories and working out... and that doesn't cost anything besides normal lifestyle money. But if it will help my mom, who is quite overweight and who has wanted to lose weight for a long time with no success, then I want to support her. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!
  • smjones
    Options
    I tried Medifast. I couldn't stand the food. (or if that's what you call it) I would only eat the bars and the chocolate shakes were tolerable. I WOULD NOT recommend it. My doctor told me it was the safest one to do, but I couldn't stick with it past a week. Tell her I wish her all the luck if she is going to try it.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    This is a very repudable program that often comes recommended from a doctor. Many people have been very successful results with Medifast and it's safe. I agree that a balanced nutrious program is best, but many (usually very overweight) people need more structure in order to acheive success. The road to heath isn't one size fits all. Once she loses most of her weight she will need to use all the tools you have in order to maintain her loss.

You need to support your mom especially if she got this as a recommendation of her doctor. Help her with the one meal a day menu plan to ensure that it's nutrious and tasty. Maybe you could make a standing "date' once a week to try a new healthy receipe together, or a lightened remake on a family favorite, and go for a walk or some other moderately active pursuit.

Get your Pom Pom's out and let her know who her biggest cheerleader is. She's taken a big step.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I believe the question is WHY she is using this method.
    If like dothompson suggests her doctor is recomending it then she should at least try it.

However, if she is just doing it to lose weight rapidly and "easily" (which I don't believe (liquid diets are easy at all, tried one similar). She will have the same struggles as anyone else. The weight may come off but how will it be maintained once the go off the food, etc.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if it was recommended by her doctor. I know she has gone to our family doctor very frequently for years now because she has health problems. She has fibromylagia, chronic fatigue and hormone problems. I will support her in this and thanks for the suggestions dothompson. Unfortunately she lives on the East Coast and I live in the Southwest. But I will do all I can from here. What frustrates me is that she doesn't exercise at all and I just feel like if she would, she would feel much better; it's not even about the weight. But she doesn't like when any of us suggest it. :( I don't know if she doesn't understand the importance of nutrition and exercise or if she just disregards her knowledge. I do know that it's taken me quite awhile to understand what other people probably think are "basic" nutritional principles, so maybe a program like this will help her learn. Like you say, chubbybunny, I do not care about her losing weight quickly, I just want her to get healthier and lose weight the right way. But I know this is hard for me and it's proably hard for her too. Does anyone know if the food program encourages exercise?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Medifast does have an exercise area on their website, but it's pretty generic and doesn't seem to be a core value of the program. I imagine it will be very different depending if your mom is going to a clinic, or using some sort of support.

Having lost a significant amount of weight I can tell you she may be much more open minded about exercise once she drops a few pounds. It will give her some optomism and energy and then you can swoop in and carry her into an exercise program (metaphorically, since you are a couple of thousand miles away). Maybe there is someone in her town that you can enlist to go walk with her a few times a week once you get to that point. The social aspect might just be the incentive she needs. (whoops, I just flashed on the King of Queens, and no, I don't think a dog walking service is the answer).
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    That's a good point dothompson. Right now it's like she stays far away from the gym or anywhere where people could see her. She is quite solitary and I think she feels pressured by the rest of our always-working-out family. She keeps saying she needs to lose weight before she can work out. So maybe once she does lose some weight, she will be motivated and more inclined to get involved. I will encourage her.

Congrats on losing a significant amount of weight. :smile: I hope my mom can too!