HOW LONG is it going to take???

Options
When I started exercising I developed shin splints. I took very good care of them and haven't had any problems with them in the last week or so except for tonight. I went to the local park to walk the dog and 10 minutes in I was in agony once again. :( I was so ready for a nice long brisk walk with the pooch. Does anyone know how long it will take for the pain to go away for good??

Replies

• Kuniva
    Kuniva Posts: 8
    Options
    The pain from shin splints is tricky. It requires some rest to alleviate, but not TOO much rest. If you rest for more than a week your legs will only run into the same problem the next time you exercise. Try resting for 3-4 days and then easing into exercise. It may help to take an anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen or Aleve about an hour prior to physical activity. Also, it will definitely help to ice the shins afterwards. I hope this information helps you!! (speaking from experience and education on the subject)
  • Sashatrainer
    Sashatrainer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got mine from sprint workouts during high school. they went away as soon as i stopped;
    sometimes its just a matter of rest. Take a few days off, or a week and stretch them every day after you've done errands.
    or during commercial breaks. Do all the calf exercises you can think of. Than, start over again, but go easy. Start with a light walk. If it persists maybe you need to look for some new shoes. Try to make sure that when you do start exercising again don't walk on pavement, maybe try grass or sand or dirt.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It takes a while and it's gradual. I don't do any running, but I am able to walk and I spend $$ to get the best sneakers with custom made insoles. I dont' want to go through that again. Now I just walk, bike, do yoga or swim (or the elliptical trainer).
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Thanks all! I guess I should have said, I've rested for a week and eased back into the exercise scene but only after I was fitted for new sneakers and inserts.

Now what? I've done (what I think) is everything right. They only bother me when I "brisk walk". What's up with that? I can use the ellipitical, walk around doing errands, do water aerobics and yoga. So what the heck?? :(
  • DarlaTremere
    DarlaTremere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It may be the way you walk when you briskwalk
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I was getting them pretty badly for a while and it was interfering with my workouts so I went to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. They measured every part of my foot, put me on the treadmill and watched how I walked and landed with each stride. Then they found a shoe to correct my issues (I overpronate to the outside).

I have had almost no pain since getting these new shoes and I'm going farther and faster in my walks than before.

So get a shoe that fits right and don't forget to stretch before every walk.