Exercise question

Options
I usually go to the gym once a day and run for 40 minutes at a pretty brisk pace. Is that too much exercise for one day? I do eat a lot... so I have to compensate, but I'm not sure if I should be running everyday. Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• theflamingtofu
    Options
    I usually go to the gym once a day and run for 40 minutes at a pretty brisk pace. Is that too much exercise for one day? I do eat a lot... so I have to compensate, but I'm not sure if I should be running everyday. Any advice? Thanks!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I'll let the runners on here give there views since they might give you a better idea of what they do each day...but sure doesn't sound like to much to me!:drinker: :happy:

But we do all need rest days for our body no matter what excercise turns out to be 'the one for us' :bigsmile:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you can do it....then it's not too much. I would suggest not doing it EVERYDAY because it gets very tiresome (boring) after a while.

Just keep yourself going, but it's up to you to decide what is too much.
    It's all about knowing your body and its mechanisms for keeping you healthy.

I know i'm not much help, but only you can know your body's limits.

On another note, welcome to MFP!:flowerforyou:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!:flowerforyou: I used to run everyday for 30-40 minutes, always trying to get faster and go further. My goal was to lose weight and get ready to run my first 5k next June. Well, I bought a HRM and have been using it for about a week and found that when I was running faster I was burning less fat calories then when I walk at a fast pace or walk uphill. So I am trying to alternate between running and walking uphill. Is it possible for you to run every other day and use a treadmill or elliptical on the off day? By the way were you trying to lose weight or just maintain?

Just looked at your bio...since you're not trying to lose weight I'd say you're fine running everyday unless you just want to break it up once in awhile. I do try to take one day off from running and just walk a leisure pace.
  • theflamingtofu
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone!! I might try and switch it up with the elliptical once in a while-- you know, just so I don't have to worry about injuries to my knees, ankles, and whatnot.
  • bcakes81178
    Options
    I'm certainly not an exercise expert...but I have lots of friends who are into keeping in shape (even one who's been in fitness competitions) they've all told me that you should give your body at least one a day a week to rest and repair itself. Exercise is (obviously, lol) awesome for you...but overtraining can cause injuries. So, once a week take a break!!! :drinker: