I have no *kitten*...and in a plateau...fml

Options
I am plagued with the no-*kitten*-at-all syndrome. I learned to live with it until now...I carry most of my weight in the midsection. I got a thick muffin top going if I wear my actual pants size as my lower hip area is significantly smaller than my lower abdomen. So, it's either wear pants that LOOK as if they are to small for me and have a horrible muffin top (sorry, but I effin' refuse) or wear a bigger size and have to pull them up constantly cause I have no *kitten* to support them...ugh. Not to mention, I am between belt sizes too. Annoying!!! So, I really need to lose the muffin top...but how?

I am in about a month plataeu. I am eating well, exercising a few times a week. Eating back my exercise cals. Taking vitamins. Watching my sodium/sugar. Usually well under my sodium. Sometimes a little high on sugars, but never too bad. I have changed my diet some to try to help by increasing protein about a week or so ago. Grr! Very frustrating...

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    You can have some of mine? lol
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    what are you doing for exercise? Maybe you need to increase your weights or reps? Or maybe do a total new routine???
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Can I? :love:
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Hahaha!!! :laugh:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Need more information. If you opened your diary maybe we could provide some insight and advice.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem I carry most of my weight on the bottom (not that I don't have a pooch) and if I buy pants big enough to go over my thighs/hips/butt they are huge in the waist and stick out in the back. Belts don't help much, there's too much extra material and everything gets all bunched up. ARGH!!! I think I would rather have no butt than too much butt...but I guess the grass is always greener, huh?

As for your dilemma, have you tried switching things up a bit? I don't know how long you've been at it but your body gets used to routine. I have read many articles about how the best way to get over a plateau is actually to consume MORE calories. You may gain back a lb or two, but then the weight should start dropping again. Good luck to you!
  • staciekins
    Options
    what are you doing for exercise? Maybe you need to increase your weights or reps? Or maybe do a total new routine???

I mainly do the treadmill. I started Interval training about 3 days a week last week...pretty much same as the c25k.
  • atachauer
    atachauer Posts: 28
    Options
    I saw this fitness programme somewhere that if you jog on a treadmill on a steep incline it helps to build up your booty...try it. It looks like damn hard work though- good luck! As its coming up to summer, what about wearing leggings? x Amie
  • staciekins
    Options
    Need more information. If you opened your diary maybe we could provide some insight and advice.

just fixed that
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is keep working at it. Try Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones. She works all those muscles (all over actaully) and she gets your heart rate up so you are burning fat. Most of my fat is belly fat - I've always had a big belly. I've dropped 10lbs (that was my original goal) and the belly has just started to move a bit (after 6 months). Unfortunately that's usually the main place we store our fat (genetics!).

You can't spot reduce or target burn. Wouldn't that be nice? I did once read that the best type of exercise for your glutes is yoga. But invest in JM's DVD ($9-$10 at Walmart or Target) if you don't already have it.

Check out TrainerRobins link in my signature. She discusses ways to get off the plateau (believe it or not you might have to increase your calorie consumption). Or recalculate your goals. And incorporate some strength training into your routine to help preserve your lean muscle mass. Cardio and calorie restriction will cause muscle loss - this is what makes our metabolism. You burn this off and your metabolism slows down. And eat your exercise calories. As you get small this will become very, very important.

Congrats on the loss so far and good luck!
  • staciekins
    Options
    I have the opposite problem I carry most of my weight on the bottom (not that I don't have a pooch) and if I buy pants big enough to go over my thighs/hips/butt they are huge in the waist and stick out in the back. Belts don't help much, there's too much extra material and everything gets all bunched up. ARGH!!! I think I would rather have no butt than too much butt...but I guess the grass is always greener, huh?

As for your dilemma, have you tried switching things up a bit? I don't know how long you've been at it but your body gets used to routine. I have read many articles about how the best way to get over a plateau is actually to consume MORE calories. You may gain back a lb or two, but then the weight should start dropping again. Good luck to you!

I just changed up my diet, switching some of my cals from carb intake to protein a little bit ago. Hoping that will help. I know about the eating more calories routine, but I actually didn't start losing until I put my cals down, so Idk...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any strength training? That might help make the muffin top go down and help build up the muscles in your but a bit.

I also second the treadmill on an incline.... thats what I do in a addition to my strength training and my lower half looks really good.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I mainly do the treadmill. I started Interval training about 3 days a week last week...pretty much same as the c25k.

Pilates works well for the butt muscles, zumba is good too. If you're doing mostly the same kind of workout all the time, you need to shake things up a little to bust that plateau. Are you strength training at all? If no, you should add it to your routine. Helps build muscle and raises your ability to burn fat all the time.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I so wanted to have something useful to say here but I got nothing (but your post did make me smile, no idea why). However, the following observation occurred to me. When you watch sprinters (in the olympics and elsewhere), the 100 m, 200m, 400 m runners they all have "generous" strong looking, muscular butts, They do a lot of resistance, HIIT, Tabatha type training. Short intense bursts, then recover then again for another 20 to 30 seconds. However, any marathon or other long distance runner you ever see they have almost no butt to speak off. They do mostly steady state, long runs, pound the pavement, not muscular but super lean, almost emaciated looking at times. You mentioned you mostly do treadmill, probably steady state stuff. Might want to do Tabatha sprints on the TM at an incline (as was mentioned in another posts). They will wipe you out but might just do something for the shape of your butt, while simultaneously affect your mid section. (And yes, it does feel odd and slightly inappropriate for me to comment on this, as a some random guy, just doing my best:).
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time for some squats! :happy:
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I always had that exact problem untill I mentioned how much I hated my butt to my trainer and he put me on a routine that focused on squats with weights, walking & running at an incline, lunges with weights, step ups. I would do this stuff maybe 3 times a week as well as my normal workouts and it worked a treat! My butt is now my fave body part!p
  • theladyearthangel
    theladyearthangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    . Alot of focus on weighted leg exercises and maybe some lunges, squats, may even the brazillian butt lift workout by beach body.com. And continue your weight loss to decrease the middle. I have the same build and carry all of my weight in the middle with twiggy legs. I keep adding lots of leg exercises and increasing the weight. u wont look bulky, especially if u r not built to be big on the bottom. I actually wanna increase size on my lower half, so high weights help. Keep toning your middle and do weight loss and your core will start looking cinched. Every exercise uses the core, even the cardio u are doing. Trust me, I have an apple body too.:flowerforyou:
  • staciekins
    Options
    @dad106 and justsayit...that is a definite possibility...maybe some strength training will help. Hell, it can't hurt...:tongue:
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Add squats to your routine....they are the best exercise for lifting your a$* and adding shape. :) Not saying you'll have the J.Lo thing goin on anytime soon but it'll help what you've got. :wink:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

i hear ya =[