anyone NOT have a thyroid?

juliecat1
juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Long story short, it was discovered that I have a good size growth on my thyroid. Ive been through a million tests and my thyroid is functioning properly at this point. I have a biopsy this thursday but my ENT is sort of leaning towards removal of my thyroid. I do NOT want to do this unless its necessary. Just wondering if anyone out there has has part or all of theirs removed. And if so, was it fairly easy to regulate your thyroid levels and continue to loose weight?
I hate that this is happening NOW when Im finally making progress in getting healthy!

THANKS!

Replies

• sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Hey I haven't personally had mine removed but I have a good friend who had all of her's removed. She just has to take a med every morning and she's been fine regualting her levels. It hasn't changed her ability to loose weight and she just had a baby and it didn't mess anything up there. Good Luck.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    I had a growth removed on my thyroid when I was 12 years old - docs & my parents really didn't tell me much about it, except that the growth was benign. I never really knew if they took the whole thyroid out or just the nodule until last month when I had an ultrasound done on my neck (a "few pieces" are there is what the tech said). As I've gotten older, the area where the surgery was performed has gotten more pronounced - turned out to be scar tissue. I've been on thyroid meds for 36 years - get a blood test every 6 months to make sure everything is functioning ok & the meds are adjusted a little here and there. I've had no problems with weight, etc. and I'm sure surgery these days is way less invasive than what I went through!!!!:huh:
  • MarissaLK
    MarissaLK Posts: 4 Member
    I'm on replacement thyroid. In my case, I honestly can't tell any difference... good or bad. My doctor was able to find my correct level with hardly any work and I'm right in range now. But yea, now that I'm actually putting forth the effort to watch what I'm eating, I've lost more weight in the past week than I have since I was diagnosed with a toxic thyroid in 2003 :)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Didn't have mine removed but opted for treatment with radioactive iodine, which they figured would probably kill the thyroid while treating the nodule. They said the thyroid was pretty much non functioning except for the nodule anyway.

Been supplementing ever since. It didn't make me gain weight and it didn't get in the way of losing weight. You just have to keep checking your levels for quite a while. It is slow to show adjustments. IIRC, I got adjusted for several years before getting to maintenance dose.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    thanks guys! That helped a lot. I was feeling a bit defeated by it all. Just want to get this test over with so I know more.
  • Xmcsac2
    Xmcsac2 Posts: 4 Member
    I had RAI and gained about 50 pounds. I am still working to get meds regulated on synthyoid 100 now. I am currently doing low carb and have lost 20 pounds since March 20th. What are you currently doing.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.