You have lost more than 10 lbs....change goals??

Options
When I weighed-in this morning, the site asked me if I would like to change my goals since I have lost more than 10 pounds. Did any of you do this?? I put "no" for now, but was curious if that was the right thing to do? Thanks!!

Replies

• Fireblade69
    Options
    You should. When you are heavier you will lose weight quicker and the reassessment is designed to take this into account. Mine went from 1550 calories to 1430 becuase I'd lost nearly 20lb. That way your body can keep up with the loss programme.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    You should change your goal. They aren't saying to change your goal weight, but how you get there.

If you had 1500 calories when you were ten pounds heavier, it only makes sense that you only need, say, 1460 calories to maintain the weight of being ten pounds lighter.
    -wtk
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    you can do it manually, Ive had to do it manually because for some reason mine has never actually asked me that question!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    you can do it manually, Ive had to do it manually because for some reason mine has never actually asked me that question!
    Same here. I never got that message.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Never got that message. I noticed it changed my calories automatically but I enter everything manually and don't follow their recommendations.
  • Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The program is asking if you want to change your daily calorie goal which you should do. I was confused at first too because I thought it was asking if I wanted to change my eventual goal weight.
  • Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    I thought MFP changed it automatically since we've chosen how many pounds we want to lose each week...
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked that... but I have changed my goals manually several times.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP changed it automatically since we've chosen how many pounds we want to lose each week...

i hope not i have mine customized. i hate to have to keep adjusting, hopefully i wil find out by the end of next week
  • booboocraig
    Options
    It done this to me last week.....but because I am dropping more than 2lb's per week it changed my calories to a ridiculous 1300 as to slow my weightloss down.....I would be starving on that amount and i wouldn't be able to workout like i do
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I actually go in and reset my goals at every weigh in. I don't really change anything, but I click through everything like I'm going to. As you weigh less your body needs less calories to sustain itself. I figure if you're going to wait until you lose 10 pounds to reevaluate then you'll probably lose a big chunk of calories all at once. By resetting my goals on my own, I lose 10 calories here and there and it's pretty easy to adjust to that.
  • slinkykat
    slinkykat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, jUst saw your post and you and I are on the same mission! I am going on my first Mexican vacation in November for my birthday. Need to lose 30 pounds and I am down 10 so far. Slow going but we will get there! Keep up the good work, you are doing great!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mine gave me the same message today. I checked the 'don't ask me this again' box and said 'yes' to changing the goals, however my cal limit didn't change. I went in and manually did it. I also changed my activity level to sedentary, so I don't have to ask myself what cleaning, hauling kids around, hauling trash out, ect would be considered part of being 'lightly active' and what goes beyond that and can/should be logged as exercise. Those two changes dropped my daily calorie limit by 270 cals. Basically, the less of you there is, the less your body has to work to sustain itself. Ideally you should change your goals every time you log weight loss, but that can be a hassle. Every 10lbs seems like a good time. I know this seems to kind of be punishing you for losing weight by adding more restrictions to your calories, but ultimately it's better for you.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also go in to update my goals after I post every loss so that my calorie allowance is updated. My calorie goal decreases by 10 calories for every 1-2 pounds lost. I don't change anything, it's like an update. But every once in a while, I change the weight loss setting. You should do this every two or three months. Change in 1/2 pound increments. My losses seemed to slow down, then I changed to 1 pound per week (it was 2 pounds and 1 1/2 pounds previously). Once I started eating more, I started losing more. Hope this helped!
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    DCskat3r4lfe Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    the reason it asks you is because it thinks you lost the 10lbs too fast. the system wants to redo the calories so you lose it "healthier"

i had mine set like that and i did way too much cardio and didnt eat alot that week and it said that i lost 10lbs too quickly would you like to reset your calories... so i think most dont get it because their losing at the right pace vs losing too quickly..
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yes yes yes you should do this. When you weigh less you burn fewer calories exercising, and your body requires less calories to survive. Therefore if you're eating what you were at your higher weight, and exercising the same, you are eating more than you should, and getting more credit than what's due for the exercise you did. This could affect your weight loss.
  • slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for the explanations!! From what I understand, it sounds like had I clicked "yes", it would have lowered my calories allowed per day. The only thing is, I am already set at 1240 calories allowed, so not sure if it would go much lower.?. If my weightloss slows down, I will definately change it. I didn't click the "don't ask me again" so it will probably pop up again in the future. Thanks again for responding!!