Crock Pot - Creamy Potato Soup - (w/Pic)

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I work from home on Fridays, so I always try to find something easy I can throw in the crock pot in the morning so that when my husband comes home at night, he thinks that I worked so hard slaving over dinner AND work. Poor me. (Remember, i'm pregnant so I'm emotional, hungry, psycho, happy, and angry all at once).

I went browsing online for a crock pot recipe and I really was craving a potato soup. Like a creamy baked potato soup. And oh boy did I find the perfect one! It turned out so good that it's kind of dangerous for 2 reasons. 1) It's really not all that healthy (so don't stab me for posting it, I had to share) and 2) I can.not.stop.eating.it.

Did I say this soup isn't healthy? It has carrots in it, doesn't that automatically make it healthy? :bigsmile: Okay, the truth is, it's really not, it's this pot of creamy goodness, but if you exchange some of the ingredients I added for the lower fat portion, I bet it would be just as good! I didn't do that because my brain at the moment was only thinking of soup and not cutting down calories. So you give it a try and let me know how it turns out! And let me tell you, this sucker is FILLING!

Serves 8 and my calculations based on the full fat version is 325 calories per cup!

Ingredients:

8(ish) Potatoes (I used Idaho), chopped into bite sized pieces
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (You could use the fat free kind)
4 cups water
3 Chicken bouillon cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2-4 carrots, chopped
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 8oz. block Cream Cheese, chopped into cubes (use the 1/3 less fat kind)
1/4 cup Sour Cream (again, there is a light kind)
2 tsp. garlic powder (I also used fresh garlic too!)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt

Pay really close attention to this part because this is where it gets exciting! Throw all the ingredients, every last bit of them, in the crock pot, crank that sucker on low and wait 8 to 10 hours. (Stir every once in a while) OR, if you are impatient like me, put it on high and go back and forth into the kitchen once and hour for 5 hours taking a bite to see if the soup is ready! But really, 5 hours works on high!

Because food is the only thing I think about these days, I ate french bread with mine. You don't have to, it's just as good. Oh and did I mention I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top? (Don't they have fat free of this too?!) :blushing:

P.S. I ate 2 bowls yesterday and had dreams about the soup all night so I had it as soon as I woke up. I'm serious. It's just wrong, but so right!

Here's a picture :love:

215719_10150230242952868_722972867_8826772_6543854_n.jpg

And here is where I got the recipe from: http://hopealicious.blogspot.com/2010/12/creamy-potato-soup.html

Enjoy people! :heart:

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, and can always save my calories for it. My daughter would love it, and she doesn't have to watch her calories. Thanks for sharing.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Look delish!! Do you have to blend it or anything when it's done? Or just scoop and eat?? Thanks for posting this!!!!
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Looks and sounds great!! Will for sure try it. I love crock pot dinners!! And congrats on your upcoming new arrival!! :)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Scoop and eat. The only annoying part about this recipe is chopping and dicing your veggies. Otherwise, you show throw it in the crock pot, stir every once in a while and in 5 hours it's done and ready to eat!
  • hairspray74
    Options
    I prob could have went without trying it until you went and posted the pic!!!
  • jkos2jlock
    Options
    bump
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Looks delish, love your recipes Lina. Thanks for sharing. :-)
  • hkozlak1969
    Options
    O M G THAT LOOKS SO GOOD! USED ALL MY CALORIES FOR TODAY BUT NEED TO MAKE THIS FOR ANOTHER DAY :flowerforyou: THANKS FOR THE PIC IT HELPED MAKE UP MY MIND TO REALLY GIVE IT A TRY. CONGRATS ON THE LOSS KEEP IT UP...
  • AshleyNPeters
    AshleyNPeters Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's in the crockpot cooking right now. It smells sooo good! I made it with low fat everything and added chicken and the nutrition per cup is only 208 calories per serving!
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    YUMMY!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to lift the lid off the crockpot until its done! :tongue:
    Due to the slow cooking it takes awhile for the pot to recover each time you open the lid.

Sounds great, I'll try it this next week.

Mostly cook crockpot stuff for me and my dad, he loves soups and chili. We're still working on finishing this past week's pot of chili. Not much spice to it...this time I made it with low-sodium kidney beans, low sodium diced tomatoes, ground turkey, green bell pepper, onion, and a half cup sugar. 2 tablespoons chili powder but you can barely taste it. Overall has a sweet taste. I'll post the full recipe if someone wants it.

Thanks again for posting this soup, looking forward to trying it, And yes, I'll use the low fat options!
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • Trezzy
    Trezzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YUM YUM YUM!!! I have to make this this week!
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Gotta try this onel. thanks.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!

(Although I haven't tried this yet, in addition to doing the low-fat substitutions, I'm thinking of maybe subbing out some potato for cauliflower, since you can do this with mashed potatoes.)
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • getitoffhord
    Options
    Gota try this recipe!! Sounds great!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yum, thank you for sharing!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump!

(Although I haven't tried this yet, in addition to doing the low-fat substitutions, I'm thinking of maybe subbing out some potato for cauliflower, since you can do this with mashed potatoes.)

Bump.....yes I am doing this then I don't need to go to grocery store for potatoes!!