Uphill Walking Calories compared to MFP's Figures

Options
Today my walking partner edie and I realized 2 of our 4.2 miles of walking is uphill. About maybe 25% of that is a steep hill and as far as % of grade, I don't know but may can find out. I think this might change our calories burned quite a bit but possibly not enough to be concerned. What do you all think??

Thanks so much, denise in Sams Valley, Oregon

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Today my walking partner edie and I realized 2 of our 4.2 miles of walking is uphill. About maybe 25% of that is a steep hill and as far as % of grade, I don't know but may can find out. I think this might change our calories burned quite a bit but possibly not enough to be concerned. What do you all think??

Thanks so much, denise in Sams Valley, Oregon
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you look at the exercise section here it gives different values for walking - at different speeds - uphill-downhill ect. I think it gives calories burned for 3.5 mph uphill.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I would check and see if there is a listing in the database for walking uphill (I think there is) and split your workout up into "regular walking" and "uphill walking"...for me I found that the MFP figures were pretty close to my actual calories burned when I first started working out, but now that I've been at it awhile, MFP really overestimates my calories, so my heart rate monitor is the only way I have an accurate count. Walking uphill definitely does burn more calories because it's really gets your heartrate up...

If the MFP database doesnt have a listing for uphill walking, you might want to check caloriesperhour.com and see if they have one...

It's best to be a little conservative with your calories burned and a bit liberal with calories eaten just to make sure you aren't going over without realizing (this doesn't necessarily apply if you are one of those people who is allotted 1200 calories per day because you really want to make sure you are eating a minimum of 1200 calories every day to prevent starvation mode).

Hope this helps a bit...I'm drugged up on cold medicine and Vitamin Water right now so I might not be making any sense lol.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, thank you to both of you. On the Nike site, a forum I found on Nike, it gave this formula also:

How High Climb in feet divided by distance in feet X 100 equals % of Grade. I think some of our bikers will especially know if this is correct. Hope some of them see the post:) Thank you much:) denise:)
    I would check and see if there is a listing in the database for walking uphill (I think there is) and split your workout up into "regular walking" and "uphill walking"...for me I found that the MFP figures were pretty close to my actual calories burned when I first started working out, but now that I've been at it awhile, MFP really overestimates my calories, so my heart rate monitor is the only way I have an accurate count. Walking uphill definitely does burn more calories because it's really gets your heartrate up...

If the MFP database doesnt have a listing for uphill walking, you might want to check caloriesperhour.com and see if they have one...

It's best to be a little conservative with your calories burned and a bit liberal with calories eaten just to make sure you aren't going over without realizing (this doesn't necessarily apply if you are one of those people who is allotted 1200 calories per day because you really want to make sure you are eating a minimum of 1200 calories every day to prevent starvation mode).

Hope this helps a bit...I'm drugged up on cold medicine and Vitamin Water right now so I might not be making any sense lol.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you much, I will take a look and you can see the formula I found when I answered brandnew laura if you like:) denise in Sams Valley!!

If you look at the exercise section here it gives different values for walking - at different speeds - uphill-downhill ect. I think it gives calories burned for 3.5 mph uphill.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, that worked great, thank you both!!! The only thing I am going to do now, is continue to figure out the "grade" of the climb so that I can get more accurate:) It's a loop too so we don't come back down the same way. I figured out about how far we walk "uphill" and added that, then added in the flat-trackin, LOL!!

God bless, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I walk up a steep hill then down and back up for 20 minutes and I was curious as to how many calories I was burning, well yesterday it was so nice outside and I threw on the HRM and took off (haven't tried it since I bought my HRM) and I burned a whopping 200 calories in 20 minutes! It was awesome. Ask Santa for one for Christmas and it will take all the guess work out of your workouts:wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh hey, that sounds awesome!!! Im gonna check them out online and see how much they are:) Wally World probably has a decent one for not too much. Thank you for the info!!!!!!!!! Yeehaw:) Oh, what's HRM, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! I actually don't know what that stands for but I am assuming it will calculate heart rate??? Thanks a bunch, have a great day!!!:laugh: :bigsmile:

I walk up a steep hill then down and back up for 20 minutes and I was curious as to how many calories I was burning, well yesterday it was so nice outside and I threw on the HRM and took off (haven't tried it since I bought my HRM) and I burned a whopping 200 calories in 20 minutes! It was awesome. Ask Santa for one for Christmas and it will take all the guess work out of your workouts:wink: