The support of strangers you will never meet.

Options
This little post of mine was inspired by an earlier post I just read under success stories regarding "the runner's high". This will get philosophical (and I make no apologies:))

For many of us, we might be the only ones in our family trying to get more fit, maybe losing some weight, etc. (This is so for me at least). So there we are, it is early morning, everyone is asleep still, yet we quietly, maybe slowly crawl out of bed, put on the non-shafing underwear, the sweat absorbing t-shirt (that might be a little stiff and sweaty smelling perhaps from yesterday's excursion), give our socks a quick sniff (yep, not too bad, still good for one more run) lace up our running shoes and head out the door. Maybe it is still mostly dark, maybe a little cold or windy and for a brief moment you might stop and think: Why? or " I wish my spouse, teen would join me, so it would not feel so all alone". And so you begin your run, streets maybe still deserted as you huff and puff along the trails. And just when you think you are all alone you spy another one, maybe coming your way or across the street, maybe a block away, or coming up behind you. ANOTHER RUNNER, out there just like you. And instantly you recognize a fellow soul, a fellow traveler along the road to fitness or that runner's high. Alone no more. For that brief moment in time you feel that connection as she/he jogs by, the arm comes up for a friendly wave, you smile and maybe even feel that extra bounce in your step. And you realize, LIFE IS GOOD.
So the next time, you find yourself "alone" out there, realize this. At any given moment there are 10000's of us, jogging along in solitude all connected. Can you feel it?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Love this. :smile:

I've actually joined a couple running clubs in our area just so that I could meet some of these fellow runners. It feels good to share the victories with people who truly appreciate them.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    That's how I feel too. I have to run about three blocks before I get to a lake, and that's where my fellow runners usually are. And then, as I start to run the 4.75 mile course, I see more and more. They nod or smile or say "Good morning!". Since I run in Vibram Five Fingers, it's even better when I see a fellow VFF runner and one of us is first to say, "Nice shoes!"
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Felt that this morning, debated about getting out of bed and going for a run. Decided I would not be happy with myself later if I didn't. Slipped my shoes on and headed for an 8 miler--so glad I did!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    *sigh* still building myself up to runner's status...due to smoking, I can only run for about a minute and a half before I feel like I am going to die, but I will get there. And I will make sure to wave. :smile:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    There needs to be a "like" button for forum posts. :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    There needs to be a "like" button for forum posts. :)

Agreed!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I'd like to think the previous post you were referring to was mine! Lol.
    Totally with you tho.

Alison
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Options
    .. For that brief moment in time you feel that connection as she/he jogs by, the arm comes up for a friendly wave, you smile and maybe even feel that extra bounce in your step. And you realize, LIFE IS GOOD.

I love this.

I'm in CA and my good friend in MO runs, too. We support each other via the phone, internet and Runkeeper but, sometimes that's not enough. Every now and then I wish I had someone to run with so, when I'm one the road and I see a fellow runner, walker or cyclist I always wave and say, "Hi." or give a thumbs up if they have earphones on. I don't know about them but, I always smile and get a boost from the exchange.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I do feel it. There are some here on this board, and you're one of them WolffEarl who are right there with me when I'm straining to do my best. I am seldom truly alone but I'm glad to not be lonely.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Earl, You have really made a truth statement. It has some advantages though. You get to go at your own speed and don't have anyone else to blame if you quit early or loaf. I get up early (4 AM on workdays and usually before 7 AM on the weekends) to get my exercise in. At work, there are a couple fo guys I almost always see and talk to. On the weekends, I don't see that many people, but I wave to them all. When they wave back (even if they ar just getting there newspape), it does give me lift.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Love this :) Especially b/c it was laundry day and I confess to re-wearing my last pair of running shorts bc I wasn't willing to wait for the wash to be done (I hang stuff dry on the line). LOL!!! The washer is humming now and everything will be ready for a new week.

Had a solitary run today - wish I would have read this first!