sleep vs. exercise

Options
Do you ever feel like your body needs sleep instead of exercise on a certain day?
I've been busting my hiney this week. The scale is not budging. My inclination is to work out even harder. But, my body seems to be screaming for sleep. As in, even when I was outside playing soccer with my kids, my eyes were burning and my I felt like I could fall asleep while running.
My brain keeps saying, "Don't you dare skip your workout and sleep." But, I feel like this journey is about listening to my body, and I really think I need to just take a nap.
Has anyone else every felt this way? What did you do? What were the results? I know that I'm going ot take a nap. But, I'm just curious to see if anyone else has ever experienced this. :) Happy Easter.

Replies

• suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing other responses on this one.

This week, I took a break from exercising, to focus on cleaning my house. Granted, it was some exercises with the deep spring cleaning, but it wasn't the normal exercise / burn that I typically do.

I have been extremely tired this week, and gave in to it yesterday. Like you said -- it's all about listening to your body. I'm hoping that I didn't sabotage myself too much and am able to get back on track next week.
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    If your body needs the rest give it a rest. It isn't like you're going to gain weight because you rested for a day so treat your body to the needed rest:)
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sleep is important. Critically important. So much of our hormone regulation and muscle repair happens when we are at rest. So, yes. If your body is begging you to sleep, you’d do well to listen to it (despite what the little voices in your mind are saying). Your body will reward you.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I skipped boot camp yesterday - and slept in. Though in my defense I could barely get out of bed the day before because of a stomach ache from hell. I was hoping not participating in boot camp would not bring the stomach ache back and I was right! Ache free! ^_^

Unfortunately my boot camp is at 7am(wake up at 6), and my work schedule is 10:30am-7:30pm, so I am getting up WAY to early than what the norm is.

I prefer work out at night, so I can do both, sleep sleep sleep and exercise!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    If I am that tired I give my body a day off. Take a nap and restart tomorrow.
  • christiejf
    Options
    I say go with the sleep, you know your body best, and that additional sleep may give you even more energy for that next work out.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
  • katie9730
    katie9730 Posts: 24
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'd planned on working out last night, but was too exhausted to do it. I caught up on sleep and worked out in the morning (instead of the evening) today. My advice would to be get some rest first and work out earlier in the day, if possible. That way you won't have to stress out about it all day. Otherwise, you're probably going to burn yourself out.
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    Between being busy at work and TOM, I missed some important workouts for a couple of weeks. Then, instead of doing my run on Thursday, I did it yesterday and had one of the best runs ever!! I totally believe in giving your body a rest. Too much and you can get sick or plateau or...

I say, take a nap and enjoy it!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a balance of all things in order to function properly.
    Not getting enough sleep can prevent you from losing weight.
    Also, if you are too tired to work out you'll be more prone to injury.
    Get the rest that you need & either skip a workout or too or work them in later in the day.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. The last thing would want to to be really tired and then you're working out or doing something with the kids, and you get into an accident. Make sleep a priority for the next few days, then jump back into your workout routine.
  • lethalsarcasm
    Options
    On average, 2/3 of your daily calorie burn is done during sleep. This is because your body uses up lots of energy making the repairs to muscles etc.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Listen to your body. REST. Continue to monitor what you eat- and maintain the good habits you've learned. Do that and you will go the distance. This isn't a race, it's a lifelong journey.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This is my PMS week! yesterday I was suppose to go for my jog instead I took a 3 hour nap and was still able to go to sleep at my regular time, do I think my body needs sleep YES! lol I keep track of my cycle, this way I know what is going on with my body ;)
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery 7 yrs ago.. & over the years learnt to listen to it.. caz if I don't it punishes me with more lower back pain.. which renders me useless:( So even though I have seen a lot of people here who do some extensive workouts with HIGH burns.. I have had to be slow & steady & slowly build the conditioning in my body to finally be able to do more.

So, I am a BIG proponent of listening to your body I do not have any scientific data to back this..but after getting the rest it needed, I suddenly saw the scale take a nose dive! I am sure it does some healing & recuperating in that time & needs the nutrition & rest. So rest if that is what your body is crying for.. & get the workout in afterwords:) Good luck
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sleep is very important. I only plan 2 major work-outs a week where I give it my all (weights), but I sleep everyday! I sometimes end up doing cardio workouts on other days, but those are optional - sleep isn't. Set realistic goals that you can keep for a lifetime.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'd say sleep. I say this because I used to stress so hard about making sure I never missed a workout, no matter how I felt, I took myself nearly to a breaking point. Both mentally and physically. I wasn't listening to my body and kept running on sore joints and even nights I was crazy tired, with ruined my running form and made me hurt more.

So now, if I get home after work and I'm just beyond, beyond tired and my body is telling me it doesn't want to run, I listen to it.

It's a thin line between listening to when your body really can't work out properly and your body just being lazy and doesn't want to. You don't want to give into the latter, but you should pay attention to the former. If your body is really fighting you, give it the rest it obviously wants.

I basically took an entire month off of working out simply to give my body time to heal and be happy with getting plenty of rest and relaxation. When I got back into my routine/on schedule, it was so much nicer because I didn't force myself into anything. I've had a lot less pain, a lot less stress and feel better overall. Even my workouts just feel better and better, whereas, before that break, they'd been feeling worse and worse.