Help! I'm having a bad day

Options
I was always very thin until I was about 17 then started gaining weight. Just joined MFP and I want to lose 13 lbs. I had a good morning (food wise) and even went to the gym. I've never had a poor body image and pretty much have always had good self esteem. But, today at the gym when I finished cardio and walked into the weight room (surrounded by mirrors) when I saw myself it was horrible!!! It was like I didn't even recognize my body. Don't get me wrong I don't think I'm obese....I'm not trying to sound like a baby (I weight 145) but it was realllllly hard to look at myself and truly dislike what I see. It actually brought a tear to my eyes because feeling like you hate the way you look is really hard.
I've yo-yo'd since I was 17 and have lost and gain approx 12-15 lbs twice already. I'm afraid of three things:
1.) That I will fail at this and not lose the weight I want to lost
2.) (before I've even lost the weight) I'm afraid I will gain back again
3.) I'm afraid of disappointing myself

Another disappointment - I really wanted to NOT weight myself but once a week. I had been weighing myself more though and staying at about 141-142 lbs but I had a doctors appointment yesterday and weighed in at 146lbs :frustrated:
Then, again this morning I weighed myself and weight 145. I have been doing MFP and following my calories. I haven't gone over my calories in about 4 days so I'm just in need of some encouragement......pah pah pahlease :frown:

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi welcome and gd luck, u can do it just keep going:smile:
  • amazondan
    amazondan Posts: 35
    Options
    MFP works...but you have the work the program and be committed 100%. If you're only 99% committed, then that one percent holdback will take you down. I find it good to look in the mirror and not like what I'm seeing. It fortifies my commitment. But I only weigh once a week because I know there will be daily variations that can be demoralizing. Even if I lose only one pound after a week, at least it's a loss rather than a gain. Hang in there, follow the MFP plan...take in less calories than you burn and you will see results. And don't future trip over gaining it back. After you're on this program for a while, you'll realize it's not a torturous diet (especially if you include exercise), but rather a new lifestyle that you can adopt moving forward. Best to you.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ok you're a little young but did you see the SNL skit with Staurt Smally? You're beautiful and wonderful and you deserve it. I know we all have days where we feel horrible about ourselves. Those are the days that you just have to have your own back. You can do it. You are surrounded by people who believe in you. You can/will have faith in yourself.

Hang in there! You have to battle that little demon in your head. :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The weight didn't come on overnight so remember that its not going to come off overnight either. This is a good place to make a life style change. There are a ton of people here that are in the same boat.

Work hard, eat healthy, plan ahead, be honest with yourself and you'll do great.
    Best wishes.
    Steph
  • jamiefire7
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Try not to be too discouraged about the scale at the doctor's office. I had to take my scale to my boyfriends house and leave it there because I was weighing so much. I know how you feel about looking in the mirror and being pretty (for me) disgusted. At my highest weight I was 271 pounds. I got out of a really bad relationship and lost 121 pounds. I was down to about 150. Since I have started dating my new boyfriend I have put on some weight and am at 173 right now (UGH!!!). I am starting to freak out about gaining my weight back and I look in the mirror and am so hard on myself. I am trying to get back down to about 145 (a very healthy weight for me). I have good days and bad days but I find that if I stay on track I feel way better about how I look in the mirror. I think that you look great just keep on working out and eating right. Since you are already pretty small it may take a while for that 13 pounds to come off but take keep truckin :) Measure and weigh weekly. As the inches come off (maybe in your case the inch or so :)) you will start to feel better about your body. Keep your head up and keep working hard and in no time you will see the results you want to see. Good Luck!!!!! You got this :)
  • Xlyinia
    Xlyinia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As someone who has struggled with Diet for years let me tell you 3 things that help me when I am hvaing a bad time, or when I am on a plateau, or even if (god forbid) I have excercised all week and eaten right and GAINED!

1) Your body natrually fluctuates in weight over the course of the day, it can be up to 10 whole pounds different at night than it is when you wake up in the morning. So always weigh yourself at the same time of day.
    2) Depending on your natural cycle and how your body produces hormones, you can gain water weight for seemingly no reason, I get up to 5 pounds of it.
    3) Weight number is not as importatn as how well your clothes fit you. This week I didn't lose weight at all but my jeans are falling down, my body is changing the fat to muscle so I'm just maintining the weight number, but losing inches.

If you are still despondent, and I know words from a stranger can only help so much, then get out and do something good for yourself. Like take a yoga class, go for a long walk, or get a massage, get your mind off the scale for a while. When you forget about it, it seems that is when it becomes your friend again.

Good luck, we're all here with ya!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I too am not happy with my body. I am 5 foot 8 inches and I weigh 173. I always hear "oh you are not fat, you look great" but I have a certain body image in my head and only it will do. I have learned to love me and the way that I am and take my weight loss one day at a time...it could be a lot worse! This site is awesome! Lots of great people on here to motivate you and keeping up with your food and exercise journal really helps keep you grounded and on track.

Please feel free to add me as a buddy for motivation and to share best bets! Keep your head high and know that you are on the right track. Do not give up!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Was your doctor's appointment first thing in the morning, or after you've had breakfast and fluids? That would explain some of the weight, along with your body holding fluids for whatever other reasons. As long as you've been staying at your calories, you shouldn't need to worry about it being fat gain.

Also, if you're doing weights, it could be muscle replacing fat, which could affect your numbers.

Chin up.. You're GORGEOUS and you'll get back to where you want to be.. It just takes a little patience. :)

I'm rooting for you!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    l know what you mean. I compare myself to my thinnest self all the time. I was heavy in my early 20's when I moved in with my boyfriend who eats out all the time (now as my husband he still does!) and we partied a lot so me now after 3 pregnancies I still look better than i did then, but still don"t look as amazing as I did after baby #2.

Its so hard to appreciate where I am when I keep thinking of where I've been and how I'm still not there yet even though I feel I've put in the work. I am definitely trying to work on a better view and quit thinking of what I used to look like but I too have my days!!

Hang in there. You can't get there if you give up!
  • rwash0904
    Options
    Please don't give up. Stay with MFP. It really work. Follow the program, drink the water and exercise. Most important, wait at least a week before weighing in. My goal weight is 145. I have 30 more lbs. to go. You go for it. I am too.:smile:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Another thought in additions to all the good ones above me is to remember ---

In the past you yo-yo'd your weight because your eating and exercise habits were'nt the best. NOW, you are on the right track and so yo-yoing shouldn't happen.

Just stick to this plan and when you see yourself in gym mirrors just know you are on a path here. Things will constantly unfold for the better.

Hang in there and have faith! :heart:
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes

i know you can get where you want to be! dont get discouraged.
  • karina85g
    karina85g Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to mfp! I understand your frustration with the weight issue but you have to take it slow, i have lost 10 lb in approximately 1 month and its because i have been running 6 days a week, i ran 3 to 4 miles and drink 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday.
    I was amazed at how fast i started seeing results by those two little changes in my new lifestyle, before i hated drinking plain water but now i love a cold glass of water after a workout, plus i could not ran for more that half a mile because my calfs started cramping really bad but now i can jogg/run 3 miles straight.

So take it slow and don't give up because you will only be giving up on a better you, have faith in yourself :)