Is this a realistic weight loss plan? Help!

katie9730
katie9730 Posts: 24
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
145 lbs - May 14th
140 lbs- May 18th
135 lbs- June 1rst
130 lbs- June 15th
125 lbs- June 29th
120 lbs- June 13th
115 lbs- July 1rst (if not satisfied with 120 lbs)

Is 2.5 pounds a week taking it too fast?
I've lost weight very quickly in the past and ended up rebounding. So I obviously don't want that to happen again. I want to take this slowly, but at the same time I'm itching for results! What do you think?

Replies

• luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    1-2 pounds a week is realistic if you are strict with your diet and exercise. Everyone sheds weight differently, your age and metabolism is a serious determining factor! Just keep a positive outlook and if you don't hit the 2.5 on any given week, don't get discouraged because once your body starts shedding weight, you may hit a plateau! Good luck! I am rooting for you!
  • waay too fast, you're bound to rebound.
  • No, it's unhealthy to lose more then 1-2lbs a week. The faster you lose weight the more likely you are to put it back on.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    If your not that much over weight, then yes I'd have to say it is unrealistic. The more over weight you are the faster you lose.. Shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs a week, otherwise your losing muscle....good luck
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    If your not that much over weight, then yes I'd have to say it is unrealistic. The more over weight you are the faster you lose.. Shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs a week, otherwise your losing muscle....good luck

I have to disagree---this depends on how much protein you are actually eating---I've lost consistently in the past 7 months and I have exercised cardio and weights, but I do eat 110 grams of protein a day. My family is amazed at the muscles I have.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    I think hoping for 145 to 140 from May 14th - 18th is really unrealistic...especially if your calorie goal is 1200. For me at 5'3 and 155lbs, 1200 only lets me lose 1.2lbs a week...

I had unrealistic goals in the beginning too so I had to readjust once i started losing the weight...
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    You are doing fine.2 lbs 2.5 lbs you will not rebound.Continue to follow your MFP .Stay focused.If yo want add me for support and motivation.:happy:
  • katie9730
    Thanks guys! I'm going to change my plan to 1.5 - 2 pounds a week. It will take longer, but will be worth it.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Well, it all depends on how tall you are, how much fat you have, and how fast your metabolism is. Plus, if you've lost weight before and gained it back it's inevitably going to be harder losing for the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th time. I personally am having a hell of a time getting down to 150, so 145 sounds awesome to me! :P But hey, just talk to your doctor, use your own judgment, and most importantly, BE HEALTHY. Do NOT starve yourself or push yourself too hard! Use the guidelines and support on this site, it is GOLDEN!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    It will most definitely be worth it when it stays off.
    Just take it one day at a time and use MFP... it is the most AMAZING tool I have ever seen or used!!!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Thanks guys! I'm going to change my plan to 1.5 - 2 pounds a week. It will take longer, but will be worth it.

I think this is more realistic. If you set goals that are too aggressive and you can't meet them, you will only get discouraged and not stick to the plan. Losing slowly is more likely to keep it off too. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's going to depend on your body. Most people can lose 1-2 pounds per week in the beginning, but the closer you get to your goal the harder it is to burn fat, so you lose at a slower rate. It's better for your long term goals if you lose slower.
  • katie9730
    luv2ash: I'm a vegetarian so I'm not getting a lot of extra protein. Thanks for the advice though, you look amazing.

HaleyAlli: It's my third time losing weight and I completely agree. It's so much harder than it was the first time around.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Honestly, its taken me a YEAR to go from 155 to 130, so I would take it slow.

I feel great now because even if i have a few days or even a week of slip-ups, my body DOESN'T gain the weight back. Instead, since the weight loss was so slow (yet right), my body feels perfect at this weight and my metabolism will speed up if I eat something naughty.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    1-2 pounds a week is best. Losing slower retrains you on your eating habits, not just losing weight. You don't want a fast fix, but a lifetime of eating and exercising healthy.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    I agree with the people on this list, slow down with the weight loss. Give yourself time to adjust and retrain your body to eat properly. Slow it down and don't give up if you find progress a little slow in coming.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    I want to say this is not realistic but again each body differs..

One thing to remember that the changes you make to your diet / exercise lifestyle should not be temporary but part of a whole lifestyle change to stay healthy (both physically and mentally). You don't want to stress yourself out where you lose it by either giving up on food by not eating or by binging. Losting more than 2lbs a week can increase risks of other medical natures, which I can't explain well but can be found on various threads or by google... but if you want to do this a healthy way and keep it off, take your time with it and teach yourself how to live in this different way. You don't have much to lose, so there is a chance it will take slower than some of us who are heavier, but each body does work differently. Remember... this is a lifestyle change not just a weight loss diet plan...
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    I did the math on the goals between weight you want to lose and the time frame you want to do it and I come up with almost 5 pounds per week. There is no way you can achieve that kind of weight loss and sustain it healthily. My goals are set up at 2 lb/week and I have averaged about 1.8lb/week since 11/10/2010 and I am following my calorie defecit religiously and working out 6 days a week with P90X.

I saw that you are reconsidering unrealistic goals, and that is a good thing...slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck to you!!
This discussion has been closed.