Protein Supplement Myth Revealed by Body of Work

Options
As I've said repeatedly, you don't need all these goofy powders, shakes, bars, and so on. Make your life a little simpler.

http://www.livescience.com/8086-protein-supplement-myth-revealed-body-work.html

"The new studies highlight the fact that the most benign thing about protein supplements is that you're only wasting money. You reap little benefit and instead put yourself at risk for kidney, bone and heart disease. "

"Medical researchers have advised against protein supplements for years for the average person. But many sports trainers continue to push them on amateur athletes simply because they don't know any better. "

"A study published last month, in the journal Nutrition, surveyed more than 1,000 adults at 50 ordinary commercial gyms and found that nearly half the men were taking dietary supplements, largely protein powders, with no supervision. None needed protein, the researchers concluded.

Similarly, a smaller study — a master's thesis by Martin Fréchette from University of Montreal — probed the diets of elite athletes, part of the Canadian Sport Centre Dietary Study. More than 90 percent of these athletes were taking dietary supplements, on recommendation of trainers or friends; only 25 percent could explain why they were taking it; and of those using protein supplements, more than 80 percent already had sufficient dietary protein intake. "

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i use it because i work night shifts find it difficult to get in what i need before my shift. it works for me.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If I didn't need it I wouldn't be taking it! LOL
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not convinced after reading this article. Author hasn't provided a single reference on his statements

"Medical researchers have advised against protein supplements for years for the average person." -mmkay... show me the link to the research.
    "When training, you need about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. " - really? Define training. So far, i heard everywhere that you need a 1 gram of protein when weight lift training.

Anyway.... i can't take this article seriously.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "When training, you need about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. " - really? Define training. So far, i heard everywhere that you need a 1 gram of protein when weight lift training.

Anyway.... i can't take this article seriously.

But, where did the 1 gram per pound come from? How did they decide that? Just curious.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Years and years of experience and trial and error. Real world results are better than scientific studies any day.
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    Options
    Years and years of experience and trial and error. Real world results are better than scientific studies any day.
    Except there have been several scientific studies suggesting it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    "Medical researchers have advised against protein supplements for years for the average person. But many sports trainers continue to push them on amateur athletes simply because they don't know any better. "

Average people should be concerned. I'm not. :glasses:
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    As I've said repeatedly, you don't need all these goofy powders, shakes, bars, and so on. Make your life a little simpler.

http://www.livescience.com/8086-protein-supplement-myth-revealed-body-work.html

"The new studies highlight the fact that the most benign thing about protein supplements is that you're only wasting money. You reap little benefit and instead put yourself at risk for kidney, bone and heart disease. "

"A study published last month, in the journal Nutrition, surveyed more than 1,000 adults at 50 ordinary commercial gyms and found that nearly half the men were taking dietary supplements, largely protein powders, with no supervision. None needed protein, the researchers concluded.

Similarly, a smaller study — a master's thesis by Martin Fréchette from University of Montreal — probed the diets of elite athletes, part of the Canadian Sport Centre Dietary Study. More than 90 percent of these athletes were taking dietary supplements, on recommendation of trainers or friends; only 25 percent could explain why they were taking it; and of those using protein supplements, more than 80 percent already had sufficient dietary protein intake. "

I read livescience regularly and this is my issue with the quote: I am not going to bother reading the article right now but just based on this quote I have issues with the "only 25 percent couldn't explain why they were taking it" part. So what? So 90 % of these elite athletes are taking supplements and a portion of them didn't either grasp precisely why, or didn't have the communication skills to explain why, or didn't give a ****e to explain why to some pesky pysch polling people or honestly don't know the science behind it. Idk, seems totally worthless to even mention that aspect if it.

Maybe I'll read the article later when my brain is refreshed- I want to see how they explain more protein than necessary causes so much damage to your body. I understand that there is an absolute difference in the needs of individuals based on the condition of one's body and the amount of training/effort/work one actually performs.
  • tjstivers1
    Options
    Protein supplements are useless for a majority of the population. Only people with medical conditions, or people who are constantly lifting weights should worry about protein consumption and supplementation. I usually consume 1g per pound of lean tissue.
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You live a real life, get your protein from real whole foods. Protein powders are a way for people to market and make money.
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    You live a real life, get your protein from real whole foods. Protein powders are a way for people to market and make money.

Ok, ummmm......cows!!!! Those nice juicy steaks at the supermarket....that's just a way for someone to market and make money, isn't it? I get my protein from many scources, one happens to be powder. But I still eat meat and other products containing protein.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I say it's worth the money to talk to a registered dietician, specializing in sports nutrition. They will give you an honest answer of what is right for you and your activiities. The federal recommendations are .8 gm per kg of body weight. This appears to be what this site uses as a measure. That number goes up for weight lifting, mostly because the muslce mass increases. I talked to a doctor with a PHD in nutrition on the board for American College of Sports Medicine, and she is a physiology professor. She explained that the group that needs a lot of protien per kg are women at high altitudes in endurance sports. Again, these women may weigh far less than the average body builder. So the overall g of protien are less, but the g per kg of weight is more in endurance athletes, high altitude women. Who knew?

Bottom line. Talk to your registered dietician or qualified sports nutritionist. They will work with you to find your best sources of protien as well. My dietician knows I hike and run a lot. So she told me I can take some protien powder, on those hikes....I also take nuts, lentils, cheese sticks etc. But when I'm backpacking with 40 pounds on my back for 10 straight hours, I think I'm entitled.

Get personal advice. That's my best advice.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Some people don't want to consume meat all the time to get their protein...are you telling Me that from a digestion and colon perspective that say, Whey Protein is not better than eating meat? I am convinced that protein supplements are necessary in so many ways and offer an alternative to getting protein in your diet. And heck, it just tastes good to Me in a Protein Smoothie...Now that's a REAL Meal, NOT a Meal Substitute.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Key words- average person. What is an average person? It defnatly not me. Where is my salt grain?
  • salena_ruth17
    Options
    That's exactly what my personal trainer has told me. It has been proven to me that a person who is training especially with weights, can't eat enough protein in one day to make up for the amount that their muscles use. What happens is you lose to much lean body weight which is muscles. Protein powders, which are good for you, help put that back into your muscles that your actual weight loss, or weight lifting goals can be achieved.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what my personal trainer has told me. It has been proven to me that a person who is training especially with weights, can't eat enough protein in one day to make up for the amount that their muscles use. What happens is you lose to much lean body weight which is muscles. Protein powders, which are good for you, help put that back into your muscles that your actual weight loss, or weight lifting goals can be achieved.

I am a certified personal trainer ACSM, and I have been for many years. We sign a code of ethics that we are not supposed to give supplemental or specific nutrition advice unless we are a registered dietician. I'm not saying your trainer is wrong. I'm just saying, please check with a registered dietician. I know a lot of trainers give nutritional advice. If they are with national certified and accredited organizations, they are not supposed to do that. People don't go to a dietician for their exercise program, yet they accept whatever their trainer tells them. Yes, we are very educated in nutrition, but not to the level of someone who is a registered dietician. Because of all the conflicting advice out there, please spend the same money you would on a 1/2 hour with your trainer and consult with a proper professional.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer ACSM, and I have been for many years. We sign a code of ethics that we are not supposed to give supplemental or specific nutrition advice unless we are a registered dietician. I'm not saying your trainer is wrong. I'm just saying, please check with a registered dietician. I know a lot of trainers give nutritional advice. If they are with national certified and accredited organizations, they are not supposed to do that. People don't go to a dietician for their exercise program, yet they accept whatever their trainer tells them. Yes, we are very educated in nutrition, but not to the level of someone who is a registered dietician. Because of all the conflicting advice out there, please spend the same money you would on a 1/2 hour with your trainer and consult with a proper professional.

QFE

You sound like a good trainer