GROCERY LIST

Options
I need to put together a grocery list for 1400 calorie diet. I buy the same things everytime I go to the store b/c I dont know what else to get!! If anyone has any cheap and easy recipes that I can just heat up I'd like some suggestions..And food to add to my grocery list :) I dont spend a whole lot every week but I need to switch up what im eating so I stick to my diet. I eat about 3 meals a day and 1-2 small snacks.. 100 calories or so.. If you have any ideas Id appreciate it!! Thank you:) :) love jessie!

Replies

• AMANDAKENNEDY101
    Options
    i am in the same boat, i am on 1200 calories, and find it somewhat hard to find things that will keep me at my caloric goal, an dthings that my kids an dhusband will eat. so maybe we can swap ideas an dxreciepes back and forth. I use frsh groud turkey when i cook things like spaghetti, hamburger helper, meat loaf, etc and it cuts way down on the calories. I preportion these items an dother things i cook and put in freeze to have quick heat and eat meals on days when i am in a hurry i also buy prepackaged 100 calories or less snacks to grab and go
  • nereyda08
    nereyda08 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have recently been in love with Thomas thin bagels (110 cal) and WW cream cheese (60 cal) and a handful of strawberries.
  • gypsybeke
    gypsybeke Posts: 12
    Options
    If you have a sam's club membership, we get the bird's eye stir-fry for a quick meal when we don't have much time to cook. About 5 bucks for a huge bag. It comes with a seasoning packet and makes a TON, so you can just put the left-overs in the fridge. Really low-cal. (140 per serving, I think) It's also good with a little chicken mixed in.
  • jacobschwarz
    jacobschwarz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is don't worry about specific foods. Get a variety to include fruit and vegetables. The big thing to watch is PORTION! Vegetables are generally lower in calories per serving so you can eat a lot more. But you need all the vitamins and protein from a variety of foods. The big thing is PORTION PORTION PORTION!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    All i can suggest is fresh veggies, veggies, and more veggies!! You get the healthiest (clean eating) most nutritious bang for your buck. I usually buy a bunch of veggies and then use them 5 different ways in different dishes every night. They're cheaper in the long run than buying so many pre-packaged processed foods that typically contain ungodly amounts of sodium. And Garnet Yam! So good, i eat them baked with a bit of real butter on them instead of a regular potato. I can usually also prepare a meal with the intent to have 2 or 3 servings of left overs and portion them out into tupperware and keep them handy in the fridge or (if its the right kind of recipe) freezer. There are lots of webpages that have free recipes for healthier eating that are quick and easy! Even if you're not much of a cook, there's lots out there that is fail-proof.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite grocery store tips: avoid the inner aisles as much as possible. If you stick to the perimeter of the shop, you'll find it's mostly fresh foods.
    It's hard for me to say what recipes to recommend because I don't know your diet/tastes. But stir fries (veggies and protein), salads, open faced sandwiches (on one slice of bread for me anyway), and soups are always easy and can be very healthy.
    Also be sure to plan your meals! Makes life a lot easier :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One thing that can help with the calorie intake is to substitute your pastas (this does make the cost go up a bit). For example, I make lasagna with eggplant instead of pasta and we use spaghetti squash instead of noodles.

Specifically for cost savings, use lots of beans to fill up. Not baked beans, which are full of fat, sugar and salt, but find ways to incorporate a can of beans here and there: bean salad, Mexican Charro style beans. The other day I put a can of pinto beans, a jar of salsa and a lb of chicken in a pan, covered it with cheddar cheese and threw it in the over. I made eggplant lasagna the same day to heat up during the week, but my partner finished off the chicken casserole without touching the lasagna, which is one of his favorite foods! You could do something similar with about half as much ground turkey as you would normally use, kidney beans, stewed tomatoes, chili seasoning, sprinkle the cheddar on top and bake.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, 1350 is my daily and I really struggle with it. Someone on here recommended the Hungry Girl Cookbook and I picked it up a couple weeks ago, I've made several things from there that were easy, inexpensive, and all under 300 calories.-you may want to check that out for some recipe ideas. And of course lots of veggies :smile:
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Stay on the perimiter of the store (produce, meat, dairy). The center is crammed with processed, callorie packed foods.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Pretzels
    Light Sour Cream
    Pre Packaged Salads
    Dressings
    Wheat Thins
    Cereal
    Fruit and Veggies
    Granola
  • michelle6787
    Options
    I am not sure how smart this is but whatever it works when you have a busy sched. like I do...I buy protein shakes maybe slim fast or special k or whatever...I use those as a snack in between meals because all it is, is a protein shake. Not only am I doing the calorie counting but I am also doing low carb high protein. I also tend to buy a lot of chicken breast and grill that on the stove with minced garlic and olive oil. Stir fry steak is also very good with some bell peppers :).
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is just tweak regular recipes that my family likes to make them healthier. There are a couple of good web sites for recipes Allrecipes.com and food.com for example. Most of the time my family doesn't even notice the changes. We do stir-fry a lot because you can bulk it up with lots of veggies and rice and don't need a lot of meat. I made some really yummy sweet potato and black bean burritos last week, that were really low cal and at them on whole wheat tortillas.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    allrecipes.com is a great site if you are looking for new recipes
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    100 calorie almond packs
    Frozen Tilapia (100 calories for 4 oz)
    Cans of unsalted green beans (70 calories for entire can)
    Apples (100 calories each)
    Baby Carrots (35 calories per serving)
    Peppers to cut into strips
    Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (100 calories per tbsp)
    Low sodium soup (60-150 calories per serving)
    Lite Schwebels Wheat Bread (35 calories per slice)
    Sugar Free or All Fruit Spread Jam (10-35 calories per tbsp)
    Egg beaters (30 calories per 1/4 cup)
    Quick oatmeal (150 calories per serving)
    Frozen or fresh blueberries (80 calories per cup)
    Fiber One Cereal (60 calories per cup)
    Almond milk (35 calories per cup)
    Sugar Free Popsicles (15 calories per stick)
    Greek Yogurt, Plain, Nonfat (90 calories per container)
    Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for baking (110 calories per 1/4 cup)
    Unsweetened Applesauce (50 calories per 1/2 cup)
    Bananas (100 calories per banana)
    Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese (45 calories per 1/4 cup)
    Fat Free American Cheese Slices (25 calories per slice)
    Bagel Thins (110 calories per bagel)

My replacement for chocolate chips:
    - 1 banana
    - 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1 Tbsp Canola Oil

1. Put all ingredients in a small food processor and blend until smooth.
    2. Spray a sheet of wax paper and scrape out chocolate mixture.
    3. Lay another sprayed sheet on top of the chocolate and roll out thin with a rolling pin.
    4. Remove top layer and place in freezer.
    5. Remove when solid and cut into small squares.

Total Calories: 290
    Makes about 1/2 cup or 8 Tablespoons of Chocolate Chips at 37 calories per tbsp
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Here are typical things I buy. We cook 95% from scratch. Make things ahead of time and pre-package to freeze or take along. I try for a protein, essential fat and some fiber at every meal.

eggs (hardboil for a quick snack)
    dried figs and apricots
    pistachios, almonds, pecans, walnuts
    beans and rice
    apples, bananas, mango
    almond butter
    cauliflower, broccoli, peppers
    lettuce, spinach
    tomato, avocado
    protein (smoked salmon, tuna, turkey, chicken breasts to cook ahead, beef)
    skim milk, cheese
    oatmeal, flax cereal
  • skinnimini16
    Options
    i didnt read through everyones posts so these may just be repeats but i enjoy...
    plain oatmeal (with cinnamon and fresh fruit)
    unsalted almonds
    wheat thins
    light soy milk
    egg whites
    fat free ranch dressing
    fat free or low fat cottage cheese
    light and fit yogurt
    flat out wheat with flax (flat bread only 100 cals)
    deli turkey (makes great snacks)
    select harvest campbells soups
    ***im on 1200 calories
  • JenniB619
    JenniB619 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Stay on the perimiter of the store (produce, meat, dairy). The center is crammed with processed, callorie packed foods.

My Thoughts exactly! Thats all i do now, other then bread and rice.. but its a fantastic way to start eating a lot healthier and semi cheaper
  • LeahBeah12
    LeahBeah12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I normally eat are:
    Kashi Go Lean Crisp Berry Crumble cereal
    Cinnamon Burst Cheerios
    Progresso Light Soups
    Cottage Cheese
    Turkey wrap made with flatout wrap, romaine, mozzarella, and light ranch
    Reduced Fat Wheat Thins and Hummus
    Apple and peanut butter
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream
    String Cheese
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Below are two recipes that I make that reheat well and can be frozen.

One of my favourites recipes for using up left over veggies (or any that are going a bit manky) is a vegetable frittata.

Beat up 4 or 5 eggs with a little salt and pepper (to taste). Throw in whatever veggies you have. For stuff like spinach/silverbeet chop it roughly. For veggies like peppers, tomato, mushrooms, carrots, pumpkin or sweet potato dice it into small cubes. For carrot or zucchini grate it up and squeeze out the excess liquid before adding it to the mix. If you can afford the calories you can add some grated cheese or bacon pieces. Poor the mix into a quiche dish and bake at about 180 degrees celcius (350 fahrenheit) for about an hour or so (you'll know it is done when you touch the centre and it is spongy to the touch).

You can have this dish hot with a side salad or take cold slices to work for lunch. It also freezes - just pre-cut your portions then you can take it out and microwave it on an as needs basis.

You can also experiment adding left over fresh herbs or dried herbs to give it different tastes.

Another good (cheap) meal is vegetable soup, I love making it on a cold winters day. In a big stockpot put about 1 litre of veggie stock and half a litre of water. Throw in a third to a half of a packet of soup mix (you'll find it in the soup aisle, often on the bottom shelf). I add a tub of tomato paste so that the end product doesn't just look like dirty dishwater. Then throw in your chopped up veggies - include a variety such as turnip, potato, onion, sweet potato, pumpkin, zuchinni, parnsip, carrots, spinch/silverbeet (add this in the last hour of cooking) - whatever is in season or cheap. Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste. If you want meat you can throw in a ham bone (take this out about an hour from the end and remove the meat and add it back into the soup). Let the whole lot simmer for 4-6 hours. You will probably need to add water along the way. I like my soup super thick so it is more like stew so I let it simmer right down but if you like watery soup just add more liquid. Now here is the neat trick my mum taught me. To freeze portions get out all your coffee mugs and line them with freezer bags. Ladle in the soup and tie the bags shut. Pop the coffee mugs into the freezer overnight. The next morning remove the mugs and run them under hot water for 30 seconds each. The frozen soup portions will slip out easily. You then throw the frozen bags of soup back into the freezer and voila you have a stack of individual serves of healthy, yummy home made soup.. When it comes time to eat it just grab one out of the freezer, run the bag under hot water for a few seconds then turn it into a bowl and microwave it.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that I buy are

Activia
    Jell-O Rice Pudding (sugar free 70 calories a cup)
    Frozen fruits
    Fresh fruits
    Hummus (dip some fruit in hummus and you have another good snack)
    Cottage cheese
    string cheese
    pita chips
    oh and trail mixes/ dried fruit mixes are my new favorite