what is the best low cal filling food ?

Options
What is the best low calorie food to fill you up so I can stop snacking in between meals.

Thanks
lynne.

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    snack on cucumber, low calories, so good in the summer time too
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you may need to approach this differently instead of focusing on what to eat, focus on eating 6 meals a day, each one being car and protein balanced. Up your lean protein because that will keep you fuller longer. If you eat a meal every 2-3 hours this should keep you from feeling hungry, so basically you will be eating to keep from getting hungry instead of eating when hungry.

Stay away from all those fancy processed "diet foods" they were designed to make you want more and will do nothing but sabottage your weight loss efforts. They are full of carbs and no protein. COncentrate on fresh fruits, veggies, lean protein, a very few whole grains. Right down to the basics. Look at food as fuel and not as pleasure. So every 2-3 hours you need to fuel up.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I find veggies filling. Sometimes I add some protein as well if i know its going to be a while between meals.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mine is raw califlower. I was suprised to see how low the cals were.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree......eat 2-3 smaller meals and at least 2 snacks in between. Fill you days with lots of protein and fiber as they fill you up better and the fiber takes longer to digest which keeps you from getting hungry quick. I personally love greek yogurt for a snack (about 100 calories and 10 grams of protein for athenos brand) a handful of unsalted almost is perfect too:) By eating more often it will keep your metabolism reved up!! Good luck to you:)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Apples and almonds
    And baked spinach chips :) Just bake spinach leaves in the oven and season!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Celery is a negative calorie food (it actually expends more calories from your body to eat it than it has in it), so it's a great oral fixation food. For filling snacks, veggies are usually pretty good because they're low cal and they have a lot of fiber to them.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's really a matter of choosing better foods throughout the day that will keep you full. Your diary showed:

"Lunch

Starbucks - Strawberry and Creme Frap Tall 420
    Spud U Like - Tuna & Sweetcorn, 115 ml 176
    Starbucks - Cappachino-Tall, Soy Milk, 12 oz 80

Dinner
    Generic - Salad- Mixed Lettuce and Vegetables, 8 oz 118
    Generic - Coffee - 1/4 Cup Skim, No Sugar, 1 mug 32"

If you use up 1/3 of your daily calories on a high calorie drink, it's only logical you won't have enough calories for the day. That ONE drink was another balanced protein/veggie meal you could have had for dinner or even after dinner.

I highly recommend planning your meals ahead, so you don't end up having to eat lettuce & water for dinner. :o)
  • GorgeousMomma11
    Options
    Strawberries are super good if you have to have a snack. Eat them slow value how they taste and I cut mine up into 4th so it seems like im eating a whole lot more then I really am. They fill me up pretty quick too and its only 45 calories per cup. If youre looking for more just google foods under 50 calories and they usually make awesome snacks. :) Hope that helps.
  • mrskesel
    mrskesel Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with "luv2ash" - snacking is not bad and can keep you from overindulging on your lunch and dinners. Raw almonds make a filling, protein-packed snack. They are high in fat but it's "good fat". Greek or Low Fat yogurt topped with a Tbsp. of sliced almonds is delicious. I like to also snack on an apple and 3-6 slices of turkey - still under 150 calories for a snack and a perfect salty/sweet combo! Also, here is a link to a good article w/ a list of a bunch of 100-calorie or less snacks: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/100-calorie-healthy-snacks
  • ImperfektAngel
    Options
    Apples and almonds

is any oil used when making the spinach chips? and how hot does the oven have to be? and for how long?
  • ImperfektAngel
    Options
    Celery is a negative calorie food (it actually expends more calories from your body to eat it than it has in it), so it's a great oral fixation food. For filling snacks, veggies are usually pretty good because they're low cal and they have a lot of fiber to them.

Too bad I dont like celery all that much ;-/ but good to know! :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My go to meal is 1 small zucchini, 1 small yellow squash, 2 tbls onion, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 red or green pepperand mushrooms. Sautee in 1 tbls olive oil untll soft. Add 1 can of no salt chopped tomatoes, 1 can of water, basil, oregano, thyme, hot pepper flakes and bay leaf. Cook at least an hour or until the veggies are very tender and most of the water has evaporated.
    I use 1/4 of this sauce for different things
    Grill eggplant or 4 oz Grilled Boneless Chicken or Boneless pork.
    I usually put it over Whole wheat pasta. I only make 1 oz per serving. You can make what ever works for your daily goal numbers.
    After I drain the pasta I put it back in the sauce pan and add 1/4 of the tomato mixture. Sautee if for a couple min. so the pasta sucks up some of the flavor.
    Put the pasta mixture on your plate add the 4 oz of Chicken or 4 larg slices of Eggplant on top of pasta and sprinkle with 2 tbls of Mozz. Cheese and put it in the microwave to melt about a minute. Really filling not a lot of calories or carbs.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatoes. Roughly 2 calories each, and they can satisfy the "hand to mouth" urge that potato chips and m&ms used to fill. If I feel hungry and it's not time for a meal yet or I don't have time to go fix something, I'll get a bowl of grape tomatoes and munch away!
  • ChristmasCrystal
    ChristmasCrystal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like to cube up chicken breast and eat that throughout the day. Protein always fills me up.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    There are a few ways to make them. I use a tiny bit of oil... not too much.
    Here's one link. Mine were not crisping up, so I upped the heat to 350ish after a few minutes, and they got crispy.
    I used garlic powder and seasoning salt.
    http://theindolentcook.blogspot.com/2010/11/oven-baked-spinach-chips.html
    Apples and almonds

is any oil used when making the spinach chips? and how hot does the oven have to be? and for how long?
  • bcklee
    bcklee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    sugar free jelly - 9 calories a pot and it's so dense/high in volume that you feel really full from it.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    A stick of lowfat cheese and some low fat popcorn. That's what usually works for me. I also like the Special K Cracker Chips.

There is also nothing like a big salad to fill you up. Put in all the veggies you like and your favorite low cal dressing. Finding a big bowl just for your salad will help. Our salad bowls should be bigger than our dinner plates!
  • running42km
    running42km Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Apples do it for me. Crunchy, nutritious, usually about 100 cal per. When I want a snack I drink water or tea and eat an apple. I've found that is satiating. I've read that often the body wants water rather than food when you feel like a snack. But the main trick is to know thy self, are you really hungry or are you just trying to manage some stress (good stress or bad stress, doesn't matter). If it is stress management you need to find a much lower calorie food substitute to satiate that need ... at work, for me in an emergency department, I will chew a small piece of sugared gum (not sugarless as it gives me insomnia) or drink some water or both. At home I exercise or find something to do with my hands, sometimes that includes sewing. TV is the worst, just want to eat and eat in front of it and never face my anxieties. I cancelled my TV service, but I realize that may be too drastic for most people. Hope this helps.