Chalene Extreme Not Seeing Much Difference

Options
First let me say that I love Chalene's workouts! I am currently using her Turbo Jam dvds and am on Round 3 of her Chalene Extreme. That means that I have been doing this strength training program for about almost 30 weeks and although I have increased my weights as I have gone along, I am not seeing any significant muscle tone (except maybe my biceps). I haven't lost weight and I think that is more about my food intake..I had lost 30lbs and have been at a plateau for quite awhile..I am trying to figure out why I am not getting the muscle tone using this program. I have been overweight my whole life and never did much in terms of strength training..just cardio..I know, my mistake..and I am going to be 50 next year..I have had two kids..so I get that I won't get the firm abs that I would love, but was thinking I could tone my arms and legs more...my sister, who has been thin and fit her whole life and is studying to be a personal trainer thinks because I have always had more fat cells than muscle (my words not hers exactly) that it might be hard at this stage to get as toned as I want..unless I take a supplement, which she doesn't advise..what does everyone think? I love to strength train, so will continue, but wonder if there are things I could be doing, maybe change the routine or diet...or will I have to just accept this is my body...would taking off the last 10 lbs or so make a difference? I just have to get motivated to do that...I will stop rambling now and see what people think...Thanks!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Bummer! I've seen amazing results since week 1 of CEX. Talk to your BB coach and see what they have to say. Are your weights heavy enough? meaning by the time you reach the last rep, is the muscle fatigued? If not, ya need to go heavier. I have had to go buy lots of new weights because of this, but it works.
  • Mrs2Mac
    Mrs2Mac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost weight and I think that is more about my food intake..

Seems to me you already know what the problem is. :-) Are you not eating enough? Eating too much? Eating poorly? Diet is a huge component in losing weight.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I think that I am lifting as much weight as I can...I judge by trying to increase and not being able to lift the minimum at that weight, so go back to the previous weight I have bought 15 and 20 lb weights since starting the program..I don't have a BB coach..I have not signed up with one or even really looked into it..I have only looked at the website briefly..how do I choose a coach? Do you have to do that right away after purchasing the dvds?

As for what I am eating, I stopped logging food faithfully because it got to be tedious to record my dinners mostly..when I cook, I found it difficult and time consuming to figure out the calories of homemade meals...I had done it for months and months..I start to record my food now and by dinner I stop...so I am probably consuming too much to lose weight and have managed to maintain without logging...I kind of have a feel for how much I can eat to maintain..to lose, I know I have to start logging and that is why I haven't been...I need to give myself a good swift kick in the butt..I gained a few lbs over vacation this past week, so I have been trying to cut down without logging..So yes, I know what the problem is around my food...I need to log, so I know exactly how many calories I am eating..

So, I know that is why I am not losing, but is that why I am not toning up on this program? I have toned somewhat, but not to the extent I would like...which of course, is to look like the women in the videos, which is probably unrealistic..but somewhere in between would be nice...
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The only way to look more toned is to change your body composition. You need to lose fat or gain muscle, it is hard to gain significant muscle as a woman without also gaining fat, so basically you need to lose fat to see definition. To see definition your diet must be on point. You don't have to count calories, but you should consider following the chalene diet plan or cutting calories by eliminating sugar, flour, and rice.

Make sure you are advancing your weight on at least a few moves each session, and consider adding interval training. Maybe treat yourself to turbo fire.:wink:
  • dzdame
    Options
    I am hoping that if I can take off the last 10-15lbs that I will gain more muscle tone...I have been hearing that lack of enough sleep can keep you from losing and also can cause loss of muscle tone...I have chronic sleep issues and rarely get more than 5 hours/night of sleep...Getting more sleep is always my goal, but it has been more difficult to achieve than losing weight..some of it is hormonal, some genetic, a lot is stress...not making excuses for not losing the last lbs, but I am sure that it isn't helping my efforts...anyone else found a way to deal with sleep issues? lol

I have been wanting to buy Turbo Fire since it came out...I will just have to spend the money one of these days! It looks like a huge calorie burn and lots of fun...In the meantime, I will try to watch my diet more closely, drink more water and increase my weights a bit..Thanks!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and I understand exactly what you mean - getting enough sleep is very, very difficult (especially if you suffer from the night sweats). You gotta get your sleep. I find that when I am lacking sleep, the fat creeps back on.

Your diet is the other factor. You need to know not only how much you are eating, but how well you are eating. I didn't look to see if your diary is public, but I can tell you that a diet high in garbage carbs will definitely impede your progress. Try to eat as "clean" as possible: stay away from processed foods, stay away from sugar, stay away from refined grains (ie: non-whole grains such white flour and white rice). Eat only quality lean proteins (fish, turkey, chicken). Eat your vegetables and some fruits. Eat whole grains. Beachbody has published "Michi's Ladder" to help guide you to the right foods. Try to eat from only the top two tiers to keep your diet clean - you can find Michi's Ladder here:

http://teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

It's not that you don't have muscle (I'm not sure what you are referring to as "tone", but really, with ChaLEAN you are building muscle and making it stronger) but you won't be able to see the muscle you've built if it's covered in fat. Plain and simple.

So, it sounds like you have two challenges - get more sleep and clean up the diet. I'll bet that once you get a handle on those two things, you'll start seeing some serious results!

Great job rocking the heavy weights!
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to increase your cardio intensity beyond Turbo Jam. If you're not in a position to buy Turbo Fire yet then perhaps add in a couple of fast walking sessions to your week.

Additionally, regardless of whether you log or don't, you need to ensure your eating is as clean as possible so take a look at the foods you tend to eat and make sure you've cut out the processed stuff, soda, candy, etc.

Good luck!
    Sharon
  • dzdame
    Options
    I have to say that most days, I eat pretty clean..I only eat whole grains and try to control portions on them...I eat fruits and veggies...I try to eat my dairy...I am not sure if I eat enough protein, but try to incorporate whey protein in smoothies and homemade peanut butter protein balls, along with chicken and ground turkey and occasionally fish...I think that I eat too many carbs, even though they are whole grain..I think I eat too much sometimes,even of a good thing..I find that I am hungry a lot..I wonder if it is because of the fatigue from not getting enough sleep...

In addition to Turbo Jam workouts, I do run on the track, treadmill or outdoors a couple of times/week..I also do kickboxing dvds..I need to just bite the bullet and buy Turbo Fire, but feel guilty spending the money now with the cost of gasoline and everything else going up (maybe drive less and walk more? lol)..I will definitely check out the BeachBody site more and see about hooking up with a coach...I really want to get these 10-15 lbs off to see if that will help me see the muscle definition I am looking for...also will try to incorporate better habits to help me get more sleep...I really think that is a real issue for me..Thanks so much everyone for all your feedback! It really helps..
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    If you find yourself hungry a lot, then I would definitely look at your protein intake to see if you need to increase it. I've read multiple times that the general rule of thumb is consume one gram of protein per pound of your lean bodyweight. For me, this works out to be about 40% of my calories, then I consume 45% carbs and around 15% good fats (I really watch my sat fat intake and absolutely no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils!). Staying as close to this ratio as possible works really well for me.

Also, I always find when I have a lack of sleep is when I tend to eat the most carbs - likely because I am low on energy due to lack of sleep and find myself eating carbs for that energy boost. Really work on getting yourself some good slumber time - your body will likely thank you in more ways than one and I'll bet that you'll start to see things turn around on your workout efforts. Seems goofy, but sleep really has a huge impact on your bodyfat level!

I don't know how much cardio you are doing, but you might want to be careful you aren't over-doing it. A lot of folks on here are so hung up on the cardio, likely because they can count an immediate calorie burn, so they end up really over-stressing their body by pounding it with cardio workouts. If you are tired, your body is already stressed. Add to that the extreme stress of too much cardio and your body won't stand a chance of recovering properly enough and maintaining a good metabolism. Sometimes, it really better to just take a nap, skip a workout and give your body a break to repair itself.

I really hope this helps you! Always glad to find another Chalene fan - her workouts are so awesome!
  • dzdame
    Options
    My "Push Goal" (per Chalene) for this year is to get more sleep..I have tried many strategies and sometimes they are helpful and sometimes, not so much. I have a good deal of stress (who doesn't, right?), am menopausal and have never been a great sleeper to begin with, so it is something I really struggle with..Lack of sleep definitely plays a role in my fitness and my overall being, so I wish that there were some permanent "cure"..I am thinking I need to take a stress management/meditation type course to learn to relax more...As for going to hard on the cardio, I am so confused about what is optimal for fitness and weight loss..I definitely love the way strength training makes me feel, but you don't get quite the same endorphin rush as you do with cardio..I strength train with Chalene Extreme 3 days/week and I rarely do more than 45 minutes of cardio and try to do it 5-6 days/week...maybe I should cut back or do yoga instead? I wish I could take a nap! Was never able to do that either...
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    I'm 48 and have had sleep issues ever since the hot flashes kicked in at 45 - night sweats just suck. I don't know if this helps any, but a "meditation" of sorts when you try to go to sleep really helps. If you do the same routine every single night, then chant your 'mantra', trigger word, whatever, over and over calmly in your head, you'll eventually drop off to sleep. And, if you do it every single time that you go to sleep, then the routine and the trigger word cues your body that it is time to shut down and sleep. It's hard to get the hang of at first because you'll find your mind wandering through your to-do lists for the next day and other things, but once you realize you've gotten off-track just clear your mind and focus on saying the your mantra again. Seems goofy but it really works. I taught this to myself when I was in college and can fall asleep just about anywhere. Can't always stay asleep (&$#@ night sweats!), but when I do wake up, I just re-focus on my mantra and drop off again.

People don't believe it, but sleep is a huge, huge factor in weight loss and overall well being in general. You gotta get your sleep!

I do cardio only about 4-5 times per week, usually for 30 to 45 minutes. I rarely do cardio on lifting days, but I do often do a short yoga routine right after lifting - the stretching helps keep your muscles from getting sore and it is very calming.

Keep in touch - and let me know how the sleep bit is going. If it helps to take a meditation class - go for it!
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    Forgot to mention - there is a "Flame Dolls" menopause support group here on MFP. If you'd like to search it out and join us, we'd love to have you!

Michelle
  • dzdame
    Options
    I have started taking Melatonin for sleep and it seems to help somewhat..I fall asleep after reading for about 5 minutes...I still wake up in the middle of the night for different reasons..I have been trying your idea about saying a "mantra" or a short phrase...haven't found one that works for me yet, but I think the idea is a good one..just get me to clear my mind..tough for me, but necessary in order to get back to sleep..

As for my cardio, I am thinking shorter, HIIT type training is the way to go..been looking at different dvds on line, to figure out which would be best to order next..I want to get the most bang for my buck, as they say...Was thinking Turbo Fire, now wondering about Insanity..or maybe another non-Beachbody trainer (Catherine Friedrich, eg)..

Thanks for the tip on the menopause support group. I will definitely check it out!
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    If you wanted give Insanity and/or Turbofire a 'test run' - both have a single, short DVD that you can buy which gives you a sample HIIT routine that lasts 20-30 minutes. The TurboFire one is called "Greatest HIITs" and the Insanity is called "Fast and Furious". You can buy them from the BeachBody website. I don't have TurboFire, so I can't speak to it, but I do have Insanity and usually go to it for my cardio on my non-lifting days and I can tell you that it is a challenge! It can also be hard on the knees, if you are not careful (just FYI) and it is more like athletic drills. I do have the TurboFire Greatest HIITS DVD and it's pretty fun - not as killer as Insanity, but definitely more fun.

Glad to hear the Melatonin is helping! Believe it or not, my mantra is usually either simply "Relax" or "Sleep" said in my head in a slow, soothing way. Just a simple word will work and one that sounds soothing to you. Hang in there - you've definitely got the right idea!