Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Grunting - a gender specific issue?

Dawntodusk
Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
So, ever noticed how much noise men make in the weight room? Why is it that women don't do that? Is it a gender thing? Or is it because women don't tend to lift as heavy? I lift pretty heavy, but haven't grunted yet.

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Caveman syndrome...
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    i make so much damn noise in the gym. last i checked, i'm definitely a girl haha
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    lol! I have to say I have never grunted! I just breathe deep on the heavier stuff which is quite noisy but isn't grunting! lol

Maybe it's an attention thing, you don't need to grunt to get the job done...
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    :laugh:

I try really hard *not* to grunt!
  • lmao I think I grunt when its really hard and its burning and I want to scream but its not like a weird noise but I do make noises sometimes aha but I agree men do make wierd grunting noises!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    I don't think it's gender, I think it's personality. If you're really outgoing and aggressive you'll probably make a lot of noise, if you keep to yourself and are worried about what people think you probably won't.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    I grunt on the last rep or 2 when I'm alone. if others are around I mostly suppress it:blushing: . It helps me get them out somehow. I think men push to the limit and aren't shy about it
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    I grunt on the last rep or 2 when I'm alone. if others are around I mostly suppress it:blushing: . It helps me get them out somehow. I think men push to the limit and aren't shy about it

I agree. Men push it to the limit and don't really care how they look or sound while doing it
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    It depends on the exercise for me, I try not to grunt at all, but it just sort of happens when I do certain upper body exercises.
  • kdpamd
    kdpamd Posts: 38
    Doing Insanity right now and I have never been so loud in my life. LOL. And I am a woman.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    i feel like its kind of similar to the concept of yelling in martial arts.. the sharp exhale gives you more power in the execution of movement. the stereotypical karate 'hi-yah!' has a purpose, so does grunting/breathing/yelling or whatever in the gym. it helps, try it!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    i make so much damn noise in the gym. last i checked, i'm definitely a girl haha

I do to but it gets worse when I'm playing tennis, badmitten ,or ,softball
  • So FUNNY! I'll admit, I'll grunt as well while doing push-ups, pull-ups, or those last few reps of lunges. I only do it when I am alone and not very loud. I think for men, they are just way more vocal about it, but it provides great entertainment!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    I'm male and don't grunt. I prefer suffering in silence. It is the way of the Ninja!
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member

I agree. Men push it to the limit and don't really care how they look or sound while doing it

I agree with you... when i work out and lift heavy i am in my own little world, If i lift very heavy on my last set i will breath loudly or grunt a little bit with out even realizing i am. Maybe women are more self conscious in the weight room and suppress there natural urge to grunt.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Loud exertion noises tend to produce more of a rush to perform a bit harder than if you were to be quiet.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Whenever I go into the Fitness room at my Y, there is usually the same guy grunting away...I don't notice it so much with other people, just this one guy. It is almost as if he doing purposefully to be loud and attract attention. Very serious type and always lifting what looks to be very heavy weights. I find it be distracting and annoying. 'Course lots of times you will hear that yelp or grunt right at the end...but every rep? Oh be quiet.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    I was thinking, I do all my grunting and moaning the next morning when I get up.

I have a golf buddy who grunts every time he swings a club. I sure wish he was a scratch golfer instead of a 30 handicapper.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    i feel like its kind of similar to the concept of yelling in martial arts.. the sharp exhale gives you more power in the execution of movement. the stereotypical karate 'hi-yah!' has a purpose, so does grunting/breathing/yelling or whatever in the gym. it helps, try it!

I sometimes give a sharp exhale - especially at the end of a rep - but it's not vocal, and I guess if it were it would be closer to a hi-yah than a grunt. Grunting seems to come from a different place - lower than the lungs, and also in the throat. I can't imagine doing that but I will test it out next time I'm in the weight room ALONE! :-)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    uhhmph