When to stop logging exercise

Options
So I have a question. I know that after about 3 months your body 'gets use' to a new exercise which is why I like to keep switching around what I do and have had great success doing this.

However when do you stop logging the extras that you now always do?

For example I have been here 105 days? (something like that) and have been walking into work/city center instead of getting the bus (its about 35 min walk). I have also started walking home too (40 mins uphill) bare in mind that I am a dance teacher lol so this is after I am already tired from work.
Now that the days are longer and lighter I have been able to take my dog out for long walks in the evening rather than just the morning - my hubby does it when its too dark.

I was thinking of stopping logging these extras now as its just become part of my regular lifestyle.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Sam x

I will just add that I have been 'maintaining' 98 lbs for the last 10 weeks...not looking to loose any weight.

Replies

• novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would consider the commute to and from work exercise. I don't believe that is factored into the daily activity selection so log it. If it was a much shorter walk I wouldn't bother.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't log things that have become routine. I don't log cleaning or cooking or anything. I walk around for probably around 30 minutes a day on my capus going from class to class, then I walk to my car but I don't log any of it unless I do more than my routine. The other day I walked from one side of campus to another with a friend to drop off paperwork...it took about 15 minutes but I logged it because I don't do that usually.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Best way to do it is change your diet settings to moderately active. That way it calculates your calories from everyday exercises automatically
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i'd personally add that into your activity level. if you work the normal monday-friday, its a regular enough part of your life that you should just account for it in your daily burn and let mfp recalculate your calories accordingly. i'd look at it the same way as someone who works at a super active job. you don't generally log 8 hours of waitressing if that's your 9-5, so i'd do the same with your commute.

props by the way, that's a wicked good thing for both you and the environment :)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would say try not logging them for a month, and see if you have lost weight, if you have then you are still burning the cals and need to start adding the exercise again. If you haven't then your body is used to it and you don't :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I suppose it would be logically sound enough to say that if your body weight isn't being affected by a specific activity, it may have just become routine. I wouldn't say there's an exact time frame when to stop logging it as much as what your body is telling you. For example, if that walking commute used to produce a perspiration, and no longer does, then consider it "routine."
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think its up to you, but teaching dance and walking 80 mins a day is probably more exercise than the base for the most active lifestyle, plus if you drive one day, you'll be more accurately counting the differences.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i would log it!
    i would just maybe decrease the speed your putting in,
    or maybe half the time your telling it you'v walked for!
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I usually don't consider routine things when I track my workouts, BUT it could be a good helpful reminder that even if you didn't do a workout, you still were up and moving around a little bit. So really, it's up to you, whether you want to keep adding them in or not. They are still calories burned, so there's no reason why you couldn't continue logging them :)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Or try adjusting your activity level in the settings mode to a higher setting and maybe realistically track 'half' of the commuting activity since I'm sure you still get a cardiovascular benefit from that, but as far as it's progressive effect on your 'program' may be less now that you've gotten used to it.

I've noticed that I have to seriously increase my workouts to see the same results as in the beginning. But this is the life I've always dreamed of and I love every battle in it!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    if you're logging the exercise and eating back the calories and still losing weight you can continue to do so. If you start to gain weight then reconsider logging them.

I generally go by the rule that if I do it 3 or more times a week every week, I need to adjust the activity level instead. It's now part of your everyday habits. You can always note what your burning now and your total net calories then adjust your activity level and see if it is about the same amount for the weight loss you have planned. This will save your from having to log and figure out what you have to eat back later in the day versus having those calories to spread out all day long and not worry about "exercise".
  • adristory
    adristory Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would log it as light walking but, as with any other exercise I log...just for a sense of accomplishment. I don't like to count or use those for extra calories to eat.- some exercises here already seem like they are high in the calories burnt department.
  • myrabarlow
    Options
    So why would you quit logging exercise that you 'routinely' do? That's like saying since you do it everyday, that it no longer burns calories - or that because you go to the gym everyday it's now routine, so I shouldn't log it . . . NOT. It certainly may burn at a different rate, but burn - it will - none the less. Setting changes may be needed, but if you deprive yourself those burning calories, by not logging them - you could possibly see a different result than what you're looking for.

In your case of maintaining, you are probably well aware of how your body reacts to food and exercise and logging anything isn't all that vital because you know yourself and your body. However for many people, that may not be the case. Knowing income and outgo is important.