allergic to bananas...

Options
my boyfriend is allergic to bananas but he LOVES them (he only recently started having a reaction to them), and i want to make the banana split pie from HUNGRY GIRL.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1570 (scroll down a little for the banana split pie)

any suggestions on what i can substitute for the bananas?

Replies

• lauraajohnsonrn
    Options
    what about peaches or strawberries? I haven't seen the recipe from Hungry Girl, but those might work.
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    No suggestions, but I'm allergic to bananas too. Haven't heard of many people that are allergic to them. Tell him to be careful of kiwis, peaches and latex. I recently saw an Allergist who told me that many people that are allergic to bananas later develop one to kiwis, peaches and/or latex.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What kind of reaction does he have to bananas?
    I have a friend that is allergic to strawberries, so she'd eat them and just have some benadryl handy.
    I don't recommend doing that, but if he loves them, it might be a nice way for him to enjoy the recipe?
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    No suggestions, but I'm allergic to bananas too. Haven't heard of many people that are allergic to them. Tell him to be careful of kiwis, peaches and latex. I recently saw an Allergist who told me that many people that are allergic to bananas later develop one to kiwis, peaches and/or latex.
    yup discovered the kiwi reaction last week....
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    I have a friend that is allergic to strawberries, so she'd eat them and just have some benadryl handy.
    I don't recommend doing that, but if he loves them, it might be a nice way for him to enjoy the recipe?
    his entire face swells up. id he was blue hed look like an AVATAR...his eyes nearly swell shut
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    his entire face swells up. id he was blue hed look like an AVATAR...his eyes nearly swell shut

Oh my gosh that's horrible :( I'm allergic to bananas also, but I only get the stomach cramps and nausea symptoms from it. Does he take benadryl for it when that happens though? That's the only thing I can think of where he would be able to help himself out after eating them.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    my daughter has a latex allergy from a neural tube defect and is unable to eat bananas also..... I wouldnt advise eating anything you are allergic to and chasing it with benedryl because allergies become more severe after every exposure until you eventually get anaphalaxis