Grunting - a gender specific issue?

Options

Replies

• stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and tend to strain, grunt, gasp, and sigh... not loudly or purposely mind you it just happens. Sometimes it's embarrassing and when I realize I'm doing it I make a conscious effort to stop. :blushing:
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    bahahahaha
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I suspect this conversation is very telling about how people also behave in the bedroom. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I suspect this conversation is very telling about how people also behave in the bedroom. :bigsmile: :drinker:

Guilty as charged. :blushing:
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe in karate they make a sound - sorry can't spell the name -. It's used to help with focus.

Don't want to say women don't focus or that they don't put forth maximal effort
    but on the other hand
    Don't want to say men are crude, rude or gross.

I don't grunt all the time - sorry if it intrudes on your concentration.

Rick
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I only grunt on the throne. :embarassed:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I believe in karate they make a sound - sorry can't spell the name -. It's used to help with focus.

It's call a kiai and it does help to bring focus to the body and concentrate efforts. From wikipedia "A sound is just an audible indication of good kiai (aligned body structure, focused intent, and good breathing)." My hubby does it. Seems to work.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have only seen men do it, and it drives me crazy!! But to each their own!!!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    :mad: GRUNT! :laugh:
  • kristarablue
    Options
    .Pretty sure I do more moaning than grunting....mmmmmm.....:blushing:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I roar like a monster, sing along to my tunes, jump around like a maniac to get pumped. I'm so glad I work out at home where nobody sees me or hears me.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Sometimes I roar like a monster, sing along to my tunes, jump around like a maniac to get pumped. I'm so glad I work out at home where nobody sees me or hears me.

Dude, this is me on a daily basis, working out has nothing to do with it!! Remember the whole mailman/pole dancing thing I had going....Seriously I act the fool at home..LOL
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I am very happy that nobody made the obvious joke about pigs. I'm impressed which each and every one of you. Everyone gets a pat on the back.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok so my trainer makes me go in the gorilla room. I have never entered the so called room because it looks like a gorilla cage. Bars, black mats, big weights all black and gray, and dudes lifting and grunting and sweating. This scared me away for sure.

So now I have to go because someone paid good money for me to do what she tells me to do. There is a guy to the right lifting a bazillion pounds and the one on the left lifted cazillion pounds and she hands me 20. 10 for each wittle hand to lay on my back and do chest presses.

The last press up she says DO NOT STOP.....I keep going and I ....................grunt:blushing: Not a cute little girl grunt.......Oh no my friends this 50 yr old woman grunted like no tomorrow!

I did my last set as demanded.........and blushed as I looked to the guy to the left doing the same thing with I dont know how many pounds. Know what he said???

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!:drinker:

:cry: that was so sweet. he will never know that he is the reason I can go in and lift 5-10 lb weights without embarrassement.:flowerforyou:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Try dead lifting 2.3 times your body weight sometime. If you can do it without grunting, I'll give you the rest of my Gummy bears.

Arrwethereyet, definitely good for you!!!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ok so my trainer makes me go in the gorilla room. I have never entered the so called room because it looks like a gorilla cage. Bars, black mats, big weights all black and gray, and dudes lifting and grunting and sweating. This scared me away for sure.

So now I have to go because someone paid good money for me to do what she tells me to do. There is a guy to the right lifting a bazillion pounds and the one on the left lifted cazillion pounds and she hands me 20. 10 for each wittle hand to lay on my back and do chest presses.

The last press up she says DO NOT STOP.....I keep going and I ....................grunt:blushing: Not a cute little girl grunt.......Oh no my friends this 50 yr old woman grunted like no tomorrow!

I did my last set as demanded.........and blushed as I looked to the guy to the left doing the same thing with I dont know how many pounds. Know what he said???

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!:drinker:

:cry: that was so sweet. he will never know that he is the reason I can go in and lift 5-10 lb weights without embarrassement.:flowerforyou:

Now I'm kind of WANTING to grunt. :wink:
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I try hard not to do anything that would require me to grunt. :laugh:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'd rather listen to the grunting sounds than the alternative sounds (and smells) coming out of the other end...:noway:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Try dead lifting 2.3 times your body weight sometime. If you can do it without grunting, I'll give you the rest of my Gummy bears.

werd! When I am on the flat bench using 125lb dumbbells, I'll use whatever edge I can get.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Man, that would be awesome (lifting 2.3x my bodyweight and receiving gummy bears). Honestly there's the occasional person who seems to grunt with little effort, but most people are doing it for a reason. At least the sounds have to do with fitness. I can't stand it when people are talking on their cell phones, etc, I'm like "go outside!". But when I see a guy push that hard, I want to push harder as well.