calories in pancakes?

Options
today we made pancakes for brunch... they were about the size of a fried egg each and i ate around 7. are pancakes bad for you?

Replies

• JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    Whole Wheat pancakes are better for you. Did you add any flax seed oil or wheat germ? You can make healthier pancakes, but I wouldn't say pancakes are 'healthy'. In moderation, I guess they aren't too bad for you. Just stay away from bleached flour.
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other response, you can make pancakes healthier by using whole wheat flour, adding proteing, flax seed, etc etc..but overall they're not what I would consider "weight-loss" food. However, if you enjoyed them that's all that matters, you can indulge every now and then :) just make sure you make healthier choices throughout the rest of the day incorporating more veggies and fruit into your diet
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    on average (according to caloriecount.com anyway) a 6" pancake is 175 calories. generally pancakes that come straight out of the box like the aunt jemima or jiffy brands are terrible for you.

but there's so many amazing healthy recipes out there! here are a few of my favs:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/veganism/ccv-in-a-box/test/door-1/up-a-tree/henry/you-again/brownie-batter-for-breakfast/

http://edibleperspective.com/2011/01/pancakes/

http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/almond-flour-extra-fluffy-pancakes/
  • armywife1986
    Options
    Well, it really depends on how they're made. But, I guess I'd consider them bad since they have no nutritional content in them really. I would be more concerned with the syrup and/or butter. 1 TBSP of butter is around 100 calories, and 1/4 cup (NOT a lot) of syrup is generally 130-160 calories
  • armywife1986
    Options
    Well, it really depends on how they're made. But, I guess I'd consider them bad since they have no nutritional content in them really. I would be more concerned with the syrup and/or butter. 1 TBSP of butter is around 100 calories, and 1/4 cup (NOT a lot) of syrup is generally 130-160 calories
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They are HORRIFIC for you!
  • 0383bob
    0383bob Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Bruce's Sweet Potatoe pancakes with some cinnamon. Calories aren't bad but they are actually pretty good for you and taste good too. 1 pancake and no sugar syrup about 130 calories.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    they're not great for you, but you can "cut" the badness -- I add an egg for protein and about 1/4 cup of benefiber for fiber. If you can get a better recipe, that helps. Probably hits your bloodstream fairly quickly, though, insofar as insulin spiking goes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Crystal Meth is bad for you. Pancakes are delicious. :smile:

No, they're not a "health food," but if eating something you love once in a while keeps on on track, then no harm done!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating them because maple syrup has 200 calories in a 2 Tb serving. And i only eat them with real butter and real maple syrup.

I miss them. I think I will start eating them once a month and have carrots for lunch that day.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here is my pancake replacement:

- 2 egg whites
    - 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    - 1/4 cup oatmeal
    - 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
    - 1/2 tsp sodium free baking powder
    - Water to thin out

Directions:
    1. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes.
    2. Spray hot griddle and pour out the batter in small increments.
    3. Flip when the upside face becomes solid looking and bubbly.
    4. Top with sugar free syrup, fresh fruit or peanut butter.

Calories: about 180 for entire recipe (makes 4 to 6 thin "pancakes" depending on the amount of water you use)
  • jess2308
    jess2308 Posts: 40
    Options
    thanks everyone! yes i agree they are not the best for you, i have not eaten anything else today yet, about to have a healthy dinner of mixed salad and fish balls!
  • cassie_haynes
    Options
    Hodgson Mill makes a whole wheat "Insta-Bake" that makes amazing pancakes. And I add a ton of blueberries to the batter so I don't have to use a lot of syrup at all. There is a good amount of protein and fiber it, too, especially after you add the egg and milk. But our friend is right. White flour is completely empty calories. Stay away!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! yes i agree they are not the best for you, i have not eaten anything else today yet, about to have a healthy dinner of mixed salad and fish balls!

Everything in moderation is the bottom line, the whole purpose of this journey is to learn to make "better" choices, and develop a better relationship with food......so given that, If you choose "a not so great choice" for breakfast, but follow it with a "better/best" choice the rest of the day, you're doing ok.

We've got to learn how to splurge every once in a while, and then immediately get back onto track, as we are not going to be "perfect" every single day every time we put something in our mouths,,,,,,,we have to learn how to navigate this journey in a healthy manner that will become our lifestyle, not a life job!!!

good luck with your journey,,,,

ps,,,,what on earth are fish balls?
  • satinchocolatesweetie
    Options
    I ate pancakes today too. We went to Another Broken Egg Cafe. They have jumbo pancakes, plate size. It was just awful..but delicious. I did not eat the entire pancake though. Needless to say, I left the restaurant & went to the gym :)
  • jess2308
    jess2308 Posts: 40
    Options

Everything in moderation is the bottom line, the whole purpose of this journey is to learn to make "better" choices, and develop a better relationship with food......so given that, If you choose "a not so great choice" for breakfast, but follow it with a "better/best" choice the rest of the day, you're doing ok.

We've got to learn how to splurge every once in a while, and then immediately get back onto track, as we are not going to be "perfect" every single day every time we put something in our mouths,,,,,,,we have to learn how to navigate this journey in a healthy manner that will become our lifestyle, not a life job!!!

good luck with your journey,,,,

ps,,,,what on earth are fish balls?

they are one of my favourite healthy choices in chinese food!
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=1bP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=chinese+fish+balls&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1170&bih=545