Sugar Alcohol?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about sugar alcohol. I purchased some Sugar Free Jam and the label states it has 0g Sugars but on another line states that it has 5g of Sugar Alcohol. Should this be logged? There is no space to enter Sugar Alcohols. I am wondering if this will effect my weight loss or my total of sugars which should be kept at 24 or under. Any additional info would be much appreciated. I will probably research the topic online, some more later tonight, but thought I would ask incase anyone on here has any info. Thanks. :)

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I saw it listed on something too and was wondering the same thing.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It is a form of sugar, O calories. It's not healthy tho if your watching your sugar intake. It does count as sugar tho so you would want to watch for it ingredents.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    my endocrinologist said that sugar alcohols are what tastes sweet to the tastebuds, not related to alcohol, not a concern for people
    who are pre-diabetic like me, ok in small doses.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    o.k. I do know from my akins days that sugar alcohol can make you.... poop. but that is all I can remember. lol check with the akins stuff it is talked about much there. I used to have a book but it is that "oh so safe place" and I can't find it anymore.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohol has no cals BUT if you consume too much (more than a serving usually) it will have a laxative effect.
  • fatkid44
    fatkid44 Posts: 3
    Options
    i think that it is a process of distilling the "sweet "out of the sugar, the important part to know is if you eat very much of it, it will give you *kitten* of fire. it can be a very potent laxative
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I ate a bag of candy once that had sugar alcohols.... I was 5.

Still the sickest I've ever been.

Yup, a laxative.
  • kindness64
    Options
    Haha okay, thanks everyone! The only thing I consume with it in it is the jam and I usually have less than a serving, which is one tbsp. I'm not really a fan of crapping my pants, so I will probably stay away from it in the future!. :) Thanks again!