Question

Options
jennmoore3
jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
o.k. I have a stepper. It tells me how many steps, how many aerobic steps, distance in miles and calories burned. What I am wondering is this...

It I wear it all day and it tells me I walked, (lets say) 2.4 miles, do I log that as fitness here? I would be wearing it from the time I get dressed till the time I put on my pj's.

What do you think?

Replies

• torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you select an activity level. The MFP site assumes that you walk around the house, walk to and from your car to get to work, etc, etc. So, even if you have your lifestyle set to sedentary, there would be a fair amount of steps in your day. I wouldn't add those accumulated steps unless they were over and above your regular routine. Such as.......went for a walk around the block 6 times at lunchtime. Hope that helps.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the fast reply.

Maybe I can check my average for a week or 2 (my work varies with the amount of surgeries we have) then if I go above, I could count that.

I also wonder how the site determines the lifestyle type...
  • scraig77
    scraig77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wear the same type. I use it more to see how many steps I take during the day, but if I go to a track to walk instead of on a treadmill I clear it out and use that time to log since it was actual exercise & not just normal daily activity.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a heart monitor it will let you know how may calories you burn doimg exercise and then you take off calories for your BMR and you have the amount you have burnt off
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Get yourself a heart monitor it will let you know how may calories you burn doimg exercise and then you take off calories for your BMR and you have the amount you have burnt off

I thought about it, but there are SOOOO many to choose from, I wouldn't know where to begin to pick a good one.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    I wear the same type. I use it more to see how many steps I take during the day, but if I go to a track to walk instead of on a treadmill I clear it out and use that time to log since it was actual exercise & not just normal daily activity.

Mine is made by life fitness, and says active step. I love it. I just put a new battery in it today, and I had to guess about the step length, because I forgot how to calculate it.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    o.k. so I will use it as a tool like a used to before the battery died. I thought so, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion.
  • Stuartm1
    Options
    Timex do a reasonable priced one. you can set your weight and heart rates (lower & Upper) As long as you take off your BMR calories before you enter the total ( look at web to see how to apply BMR because you have to multiply it by a correction factor depending on your weight) then this will really help Good luck
  • Stuartm1
    Options
    Timex do a really good cheap monitor and you set it for Min Max heart rate plus current weight (note you must re-set as you lose weight) Then you must remember to take off the BMR calories (see how BMR works by looking it up on the web)
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Thanks!