Weight loss on birth control

Options
Hi All,
I've never posted on here before, but I'm hoping to get some feedback. I am 5'8', 21 year old female. Last Friday, I went to my university's health center to get on birth control. I weighed 157. I started the birth control pill Apri on Sunday the 17th, the first day of my period. It has decreased my appetite, but I am still making sure I'm eating enough calories. However, it's making me drop weight like crazy! Today I weigh 148. I'm not complaining, but I do feel like 9 pounds in a week is a lot. Is this unhealthy? As well, I did stop drinking Coke, so that could be part of it too I suppose? I used to have about 1 a day, but I haven't had any in a week. It's not because I'm trying, but the b.c. doesn't make anything very appetizing.. Am I okay?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Typically birth control makes you gain weight, not lose it...I guess it depends on what you're taking, though. I'm no healthcare professional, just know from my own experience with birth control, as I've been on it for 5 years and it has never caused me to lose weight or my appetite. You might give the health center a call and see what they suggest, or google the birth control manufacturer and see if you can find some more information on the type of birth control you're on.
  • lwhod
    lwhod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of weight loss on birth control. Agree with pp on that one. However, if you drank a lot of coke each day then you can drop a lot of weight. I had a friend that use to drink at least a six pack a day. In one month, he dropped over 20 pounds just by now drinking coke anymore.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ive heard of it gaining weight not loosing weight. ive been on my pill for 10years with gaps to have children.
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    your so lucky mine makes me gain
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, typically birth control makes weight control harder. Not due to the previously believed notion that it magically makes you gain weight. What the hormones in many of the birth controls do is make it harder to maintain or gain muscle mass. Sucks. I would not be complaining about losing weight on it, lol
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. I hold on to about 5 pounds due to birth control pills. I would contact the doctor and/or google information on the manufacturer. However, some of the weight loss could be attributed to not drinking the soda.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Typically birth control makes you gain weight, not lose it...I guess it depends on what you're taking, though.

That was completely proved false there is no connection to weight gain and birth control thats just another urban legend

as for losing the weight going on birth control for the first time causes your hormones to be all out of whack for a bit so your body has some adjusting to do which is completely normal. Its partially has to do with not drinking soda i would say too. I lost 8 pounds last week and ive been at this for 6 months sometimes you don't lose anything for a month then it all comes off in one week. Bodies are weird that way i wouldn't be too concerned. Good luck with your journey!
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the coke has a lot to do with it... as a fellow coke addict... I definitely dropped some when I stopped drinking it. I have also been on birth control for three years and I've never lost weight because of it. I would definitely read up on the pill you are taking and see what it says side effects are. Or check with your health care center. Maybe your loss of appetite was from something else? I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it never hurts to ask questions.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I know for a fast, that the type I am on WILL make you gain weight. I am on the depo provera shot. A few of my friends who are on the same thing also gained. With this type, you do not have a period ever, as long as you are on the shot every 12 weeks. So, I haven't had one since 2001 when I get pregnant with my last baby. BUT I would never trade weight loss for a period ever. I love never having my period. Mine were so horrible.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Typically birth control makes you gain weight, not lose it...I guess it depends on what you're taking, though.

That was completely proved false there is no connection to weight gain and birth control thats just another urban legend

Feel free to tell my doctor that, as they purposely put me on a very low dose in order to keep me from gaining weight because my blood pressure was already way too high for my age and they didn't want my weight going up, causing my blood pressure to go up. It may not specifically cause weight gain, but it does make managing your weight a lot harder, which usually results in weight gain. D@mn hormones!!
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Feel free to tell my doctor that, as they purposely put me on a very low dose in order to keep me from gaining weight because my blood pressure was already way too high for my age and they didn't want my weight going up, causing my blood pressure to go up. It may not specifically cause weight gain, but it does make managing your weight a lot harder, which usually results in weight gain. D@mn hormones!!

no offense but your doctor is wrong this should clear this up

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2011/01-19-do-birth-control-pills-c.cfm

the trial even showed weight loss on a lower calorie defecate for the obese ones
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've taken the pill on and off for 3 years now, and have had no weight gain OR loss. Maybe speak to your doctor.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I'm sure I had more at play than just my birth control concerning any weight gain, but regardless of what studies show, I know from personal experience that I did gain a significant amount of weight at the same time that I started the pill. Like I said, other factors were probably at play, but I'm not convinced. Everyone's body is different.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You would have been at your heaviest when you started the pill being on your period b/c of the water retention. There are lots of threads here about people being 5lb's heavier during their TOTM.

Side note, I’ve never gained weight on the pill, it’s been 11 yrs now.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    different types of meds do different things to different people. One person's study proves it doesn't aid in weight gain, someone can find 10 other studies that debunk that study.

I've never bene on birth control, but somehow I ended up 100 lbs over weight... Thank goodness I have over 70 of that off now, and I'm approaching my healthy weight!

Doesn't it get tedious for us all to see people bicker and tell people their doctor's are wrong, etc?

Just like weight loss isn't one program fits all, neither is medication.

My point... people need to wisen up.... and realize that most time there isn't an answer that is going to fit all people!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Typically birth control makes you gain weight, not lose it...I guess it depends on what you're taking, though. I'm no healthcare professional, just know from my own experience with birth control, as I've been on it for 5 years and it has never caused me to lose weight or my appetite. You might give the health center a call and see what they suggest, or google the birth control manufacturer and see if you can find some more information on the type of birth control you're on.
    based on my professional experience, birth control pills do not make you gain weight.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

no offense but your doctor is wrong this should clear this up

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2011/01-19-do-birth-control-pills-c.cfm

the trial even showed weight loss on a lower calorie defecate for the obese ones

Sometimes doctors do tell you what you want to hear when it does not affect life or death situations, anything to keep you as their patient. I have worked alongside doctors for many years.
  • j_talley8
    j_talley8 Posts: 11
    Options
    I too have just started back on my BC, Mircette, and have lost weight I have been eating well over my calories (my appetite has NOT been suppressed) but I have had a 2lb weight loss (which is significant for me) in 1 week. But I attribute my weightloss to PCOS (Poly cysctic ovaries) this dx can cause significant weight gain for some, the main symptom is if you've ever had irregular periods while off birth control. This was not true for me but my MD found them (more eggs than normal in my ovaries) on a vaginal ultrasound.

PCOS causes hormones to be out of whack, going on birth control can help manage the hormones...causing weight loss...not saying you have PCOS but it is the reason I lost wt on birth control pills and is worth looking into. It usually presents itself in women of mid 20's (I'm 22). And my only symptom was horrible night sweats (hormones out of balance) If it weren't for the Ultrasound we probably would have never know until my husband and I tried to conceive.