My body isnt changing....

Options
This is probably because all I do is walk/ jog on a treadmill (more walking than anything). Everyday I find myself sitting around doing nothing....I barely leave this house! When I go "workout" (walking on the treadmill) I am bored and dont last very long. I dont strength train because I have no idea what I'm doing!! Im just lost! I feel so ignornorant to exercise. I'm ranting but I am soo mad at myself. Idk how to exercise help!!

Replies

• Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    Do you have ipod/mp3 player? I can't workout without. I know that sounds lame but.... Or you could try new workout outfit? Shoes? Mb find a friend to go or make you go so you are held accountable?? I like my gym time- its the only "me" time I get as a single mom.

Good luck!!
  • KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    I have a workout room in my house and I use an ipod but I feel so bored. And I dont like when people watch me workout because I cant do anything. I suck at jogging and cant lift weights. Im just so frustrated vwith myself
  • sharifikim
    sharifikim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started the weight training with Body for Life book and sort of improvised on that. It has photos in it and shows you how to do the excercises. I later spent about 85 dollars with a personal trainer at the gym I go to to show me what to do and that was also a good start. Some gyms will show you around if you ask and them how to use the machines. I did like spark people because I could go on there and print out excersise workouts - you could do that it is free. Ask a girlfriend that knows how to use some of the machines if she can show you around a bit. I get bored sometimes with my work out too but I then find I just need to change it up and then I loose some weight too. If you go to a gym sign up for a class. If you don't go to the gym - get a new work out DVD that looks fun. You may just need some variety. Good luck to you - happy workouts!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do you have ipod/mp3 player? I can't workout without. I know that sounds lame but.... Or you could try new workout outfit? Shoes? Mb find a friend to go or make you go so you are held accountable?? I like my gym time- its the only "me" time I get as a single mom.

Good luck!!

These are great ideas. I download podcasts and audiobooks onto my ipod and only let myself listen to them while I'm working out. Also, if you can afford it, hiring a personal trainer for a session or two for weight training is a good idea because you want to make sure you're working the various muscle groups, and doing it safely.
    -LP
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to get toned, walking on a treadmill won't do it, you need some resistance / weight training. Which also would be a LOT more interesting. :)

I'm really sorry but I don't have any links for you, but last time i looked into it for a friend, I found some great sites which explained clearly sets of exercises you could do at home without any special equipment.

Hopefully someone a bit more up to date can point you in the right direction, if not send me a message and I'll find something for you.

Main thing is, don't fret about it. It's not rocket science, you can do this, you can do it at home and it's not complicated. :)
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    There are some good podcast to help increase your pace (running) Or I go next to someone on the treadmill and try to last longer/ go faster running than them... sounds horrible but I am verrrryyy competive (even if it is in my own little head...) Have to find ways to keep myself occupied.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a workout room in my house and I use an ipod but I feel so bored. And I dont like when people watch me workout because I cant do anything. I suck at jogging and cant lift weights. Im just so frustrated vwith myself

Maybe in front of an engaging 30-60 minute TV show, alternate between crunches, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. Rest at the commercials if you need to, but turn off the TV as soon as you stop exercising.

Or you could maybe call a friend and tell them that you're going to work out for 45 minutes and ask them to call you at the end of that time and ask for details what you did... I don't know, for me it's harder to not to do something that I've told someone ELSE I'm going to do. Or you could post it on MFP and ask MFP friends to check in. A little accountability can go a long way....

-LP
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

If all you're doing is jogging on the treadmill, then that begs the question: "What about strength training?"

That doesn't mean you need to go all hard core in the weight room. Start off simple. How many push-ups can you do for instance ( From your toes...not your knees). How about pull ups under a bar? Or Full squats/lunges with some light dumbbells in your hands?

Those will boost your lean mass and give you that extra burn you're likely missing.

Cheers!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Why not use a strengthening band. it is like a huge rubber band. You can do your upper arms while you watch t.v.!
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Look into a workout dvd or something! I have 30 day shred so whenever I can't make it to the gym, or don't feel like going to the gym i just pop it into my computer and do it! It only lasts a little more than 20 minutes, and it incorporates cardio, abs, and strength. It's like 10 bucks at walmart and target!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I'd recommend taking a look at Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym". I think there's even an iPhone app for it. No weights needed, just strength training using your own body weight.

As lil_pulp mentioned, mp3 audiobooks or music or podcasts make a great distraction.
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    First off, I think for any good motivation it's important to focus and pride yourself on what you've done well so far. Fact is - you're gorgeous and losing 8 lbs w/ your current BMI is a great achievement!

On to the possible solutions...

I identify w/ nearly everything in your original post so I know how frustrating that can be. If your work / school life is hectic you feel too tired to even change into workout clothes. If you make it past that it's easy to lose focus on if others are watching - I HATED going to my campus gym because I'd always walk in hoping I'd be alone for my workout only to find 3-5 regulars their doing exercises I didn't even understand and making them look like nothing. And even if you make it past all that, it can be easy to get bored and want to give up before you've even really gotten your heart rate up.

Despite all that, I think I'm finally overcoming 90% of that w/ just a change in my perception and outlook on it. Some how I've pounded it into my head that even if I'm exhausted working out will actually GIVE me energy so that helps to take the first step of just lacin up my workout shoes.

As for the boredom / lack of results, I'm in agreement w/ what others have said. You're likely facing an issue where you've hit your plateau / peak BMR with your current muscle tone. Walking and jogging will be perfect low-key maintenance for any says you don't strength train but if you bite the bullet and work on building muscle tone it will give you the final bump you're looking for. My recommendations would be to mix your activities up and try to find a partner / group. It will press your comfort level about others watching you, but the benefits of feeling more confident that you're using proper form and the success from that should help get you over that.

If focusing on reps isn't your deal think about activities that have more of a purpose like swimming, team sports, or classes. In my town I found a coop yoga studio where you could pay what you were able to (easy on the wallet) and it offered faster paced hot yoga class. Lemme just say it about killed me each time, but even in a group everyone was so focused on the instructor it was easy not to worry about how you measured up.

Keep up the good luck miss!
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind popping in a work out vid or streaming one from the internet, grab a set of light weight dumbells and go to town. The internet has a wide variety of work outs!
  • KaleighL
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying to this post and sharing your thoughts...It has actually helped ALOT!!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    oh! I also love the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds DVD.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you are already a very healthy weight for your height, and your goal will make you underweight?
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    if u go to collagevideo.com u can find tons of strength training dvds, and accompanying reviews

Kelley Coffey-Meyer - "Olympic Lifting" was a good start for me, she has a new dvd out, Split Sessions. Gin Miller's , "Seriously Strong" is good as well.

I have heard very good things about Cathe Friedrich 's dvds, she seems to be very advanced though, and her dvds seem to require more equipment.
  • KaleighL
    Options
    Maybe because you are already a very healthy weight for your height, and your goal will make you underweight?

For my height I can go to 118 lbs if I wanted to
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Start walking at an incline to some new music and get 30 day shred. Today. And do it. Your body won't look the way you want it to until you strength train. Buy some 3lb dumbbells and 30 day shred. It's an Easter present
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you know how..we all know how..its all about motivation. at times we all feel down and it makes us not want to do anything..because we feel helpless..so why even bother trying..right?

there are oodles of websites out there that show you proper lifting. you can just google it, its free. there are tons of books too. if you join a gym, they have people there to help out. if you find you are bored with walking then take a friend, walk the dog, take your family etc. try changing up the route you walk. if you treadmill, listen to music watch tv. heck i've even read a book. no excuses. like nike says..just do it