First post, but not new to MFP!

Options
I joined MFP at the beginning of the year, but am lacking motivation lately (mostly on the exercise side). Thought I'd put myself out there and see what the MFP community is like! So, hi!

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to hear you're lacking in motivation, but I can relate (although I have the opposite problem--I'm good at exercising but I'm TOO good at eating!). Hopefully your reaching out to the MFP community will help renew your commitment!
    -LP
  • kaestes1
    kaestes1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! What helps you stay motivated to exercise?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Mostly I've just gotten into the routine of working out almost daily. It's part of my schedule and I think of it like brushing my teeth--it's just part of taking care of myself and if I don't do it, I feel kind of gross and guilty--and a little scared that I'll get into a habit of NOT exercising and then gain back all I've lost.

Also, I have stuff on my ipod that I only listen to while I'm working out. Audiobooks are particularly good motivation, and some podcasts (This American Life and The Moth, mainly).

-LP

PS Oh, and I'm very routine about when I go to the gym and when I skip a workout, the people who work there will mention that they missed me and then I feel like they're criticizing me (even though they aren't; it's just my own low self-esteem talking!), so I try to avoid those conversations. Maybe not the healthiest of motivations, but hey....
  • kaestes1
    kaestes1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Good point about the routine! I just realized that my workouts are almost always at a different time of day, which probably doesn't help me get into a routine. When I was working out successfully a few months ago, I was going at a more consistent time each day. I think I'll try get back to that! I like those podcasts too (you never know what The Moth is going to be about)- that might be helpful. Unless I'm swimming...haha :)
  • micubs
    micubs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I joined late last year and my motivation was an upcoming trip to Mexico. Well, I've been home from my vacation for about a month (along with 3 extra pounds) and my motivation is GONE! Eating ok but can't seem to get off my butt.

Guess I need to find a new motivation. Best of luck. This is a great site. Feel free to add me as a friend.