Achilles Tendonitis

Options
jeffmi
jeffmi Posts: 10 Member
Has anyone ever had a bad case of achilles tendonitis?? I have been struggling with this for five weeks, seen the Dr. and done PT just wondering when I can start walking on the treadmill again.

Replies

• dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't push it. In retrospect, I probably had tendonitis right before I ruptured mine, but I didn't know what it was. Just keep doing the exercises from your PT and ask for their advice. If you're still feeling pain, don't push it. I'm 9 months out past surgery, and I still can't get back to running just yet. dlj
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I woke up and mine was hurting. Not sure if it's because of all the activity I was involved in or not - it's still kind of achy, but I'm walking around ok.
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    I dont know the degrees of the injurys there are but I ripped mine in the middle of my marathon last May. Was in a aircast boot thing for 3 months which was probably the best cause I probably wouldnt have stayed off it. Stay off it. I swam alot last summer, that was the ONLY excersize I was allowed to do. Almost a year later I still have trouble with it sometimes, but I soak in Epsom salts and ice it if I need to. I did have the ultrasound done on it in Nov. and my ortho guy was really glad the rip healed, he seemed suprized, but it was still thin. May be a birth defect for me. I am back to running, not as fast and my longest has only been a 1/2 marathon but it is a very slow healing process from what I understand. Good luck and I know how frustrating it probably is for you.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    About three weeks ago I was running up a hill and heard and felt something in my lower calf/tendon pop. Running was impossible and I walked home slowly and painfully. Even walking was painful the remainder of that day.

I treated it the opposite of what most suggest and began applying heat and massaging it several times a day for about a week. I also continued walking on it (3 to 4 miles daily). I was able to start running again in four days, although it still hurt a little. Within two weeks the pain was completely gone.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I had a severe case in both tendons about 3 years ago. From what I know and what I have experience, it never really goes away...it will continue to flare up. All I can offer is stretch, stretch, ice, massage, and more stretching. When it flares up I am stretching it 3-4 times a day. My calf muscles are really tight, and unless they are loose enough, then the tendonitus will never subside. Make sure the WHOLE calf muscle is loosened up: from the back of then knee all the way down to the heel. Also, massage down where it connects to the heel. Take it really easy and just keep stretching. Good luck!
  • jeffmi
    jeffmi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses, I guess i will continue to rest it and not push too hard. I really would prefer not to deal with surgery.