Q about calories when weaning nursing baby

Options
I am trying to wean my 20 month old son. He has been only nursing in the morning, nap and bed time. He stayed with my sister last night so did not nurse then and has not nursed today. I think I am over thinking this but here is my question. Do I still put breastfeeding into my log, since my body at this point is still making milk? Or do I just not put it in at all since he has not actually nursed today?

Replies

• lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would say don't log it. I'm also still breastfeeding my 18 monther, but I don't log it at all coz it's only a couple of times a day and several!!!! quick ones at night. You would have made milk, but coz he hasn't had a feed the production will slow down and eventually stop, so it's not the same as feeding/making more milk/feeding/more milk.

On a side note: How are you going about weaning? I want to do it really soon, but just not sure the best way to go about it.
  • westgre
    westgre Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There's an option for night time feedings for 80 calories. That's what I use. But, I wouldn't log it unless baby actually nurses that day.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi, don't know if this helps but I continued to make milk for a long time after I had weaned, it just kept getting smaller and smaller amounts. So, I wouldn't log just because you are producing. Both my kids were 2 when I was done, my trick to weaning was to avoid the triggers (there was a chair and time or situation they both associated with 'mom's available.' I avoided the chair or if they came over with that look I got up and distracted them, disappeared, or gave them a cup or something else and just became a moving target. It worked over a couple of weeks.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I had been logging it because days I didnt I was weak and felt awful. I am trying to wean for the third time now. Started with only nursing to sleep and mornings (night time waking included when needed) Since he was already away for 24 hours I decided to just not nurse after picking him up. He has asked but I am trying to tell him they are out of milk. Will see how it goes.
  • pnbmyers
    pnbmyers Posts: 2
    Options
    My question is sort of related. I have a 9 month old who is now BF about 3-4 times a day for about 6 mins each time. He finally sleeps through th enight so we don't have to worry about that. Anyway I haven't lost any weight since he was born and he was exclusively BF until about 5 months. Is it possible I'm not burning as much as the calculator on here says for BF? I exercise daily (45 mins 5x a week) and logging my food consume about 1600 calories on average a day. I'm sooooo frustrated.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I know I hit a plateau at about 7-9 months after my second baby. I had to drop about 200 cal off my daily and it started dropping again. May not be the same situation but might be worth a try. Your baby may be using you as a pacifier and not actually nursing large quantities. They go through weird stages and weird things happen between one stage and the next!