Soups

Options
I love soups,
So I'm curious, what kind of soups do you guys like to make, and could possibly reheat and eat later.

Replies

• skinnimini16
    Options
    i prefer any soup with a broth base, its way healthier than a creamy soup!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love to make black bean soup, also chicken and wild rice soup. YUM
  • Hbartels
    Hbartels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love all soups! I always have about 4 cartons of Imagine Organic Veggie Broth in my cupboard so I can toss any veggies that are getting old into a pot and create deliciousness. If you like beets, try making a cheat version of Borsct. Just saute carrots and onions, add broth, canned sliced beets and rinsed saurkraut to a boil. Put a dollop of (low fat, dairy free, whatever) sour cream and fresh ground pepper on top before serving.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love soups! I just use my imagination and add several things like cabbage, meat or chicken, carrots, onion, garlic, cilantro, celery, beans (any kind you like), kale, zucchini, tomatoes or tomatillos and whatever else my mind can think of. Doesn't really need meat. I always make a big pot, share with my housemates then freeze a couple of containers for another time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I love soups. My favorite recent soup was a Beef stew with Red Cabbage and Kale. Another favorite is a Spinach & White Bean stew with ground turkey. I make varities of chili all the time too. You can go wrong with beans :)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a navy bean soup done in a crockpot overnight (or all day). The dried beans usually come with a packet of seasoning but it doesn't hurt to use a ham bone for flavoring too.
    The soup stores well and reheats fine.
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    Tortilla soup, ....it's mostly all veggies til you top it with cheese and/or tortilla chips. You choose to top it or not.
  • JLPearce12
    Options
    You can google "Weight Watchers 0 point soups" and you will get quite a few really good soups full of veggies. You will also see ways that other people have modified the recipes to fit their needs (protein, low sodium, etc). Might be a good place to start for ideas. Good Luck! :)
  • vdickens
    vdickens Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been on a chicken and veggie soup kick. I put in: carrots, onions, celery, green beans, zucchini, summer squash,potato, diced tomatoes (no salt added) and chicken. I usually throw some basil and rosemary into the pot while I'm cooking the chicken (I cook with a little vegetable stock instead of oil). Winn-Dixie has a vegetable stock that is fairly low sodium that I use. I love this soup. I make a huge pot and have it for lunches for the week or freeze it.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    I love soup and make all my own - home made soup is the ultimate healthy fast food, my freezer is always stocked and I always have some in the fridge. Here are some of my favorites - all made with home made chicken stock (chicken bones/wings, onion, celery, carrot, a few peppercorns) made overnight in a crock pot:

Pumpkin
    Sweet potato and butternut squash
    Red pepper and lentils
    Red pepper, tomoato and lentils (probably my favorite)
    Broccli and blue cheese (just a little)
    French onion
    Leek and Potato
    Minestone (more of a meal)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I just made a huge pot of soup last night - wanted to use up the well flavoured stock that I'd poached some chicken in the previous evening.

I sauteed some shallots and chopped carrots in a little olive oil, then added the stock and let them simmer until the carrots were well softened. Then i added a handful of lentils and let those cook for a while. Added some more stock to give the lentils plenty of liquid. At the end I added some leftover cooked broccoli and leftover poached chicken.

Half of it is in the freezer, and the rest in the fridge ready for lunch or snacks for the next couple of days.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pumpkin soup.. and tomato soup for a change. Not too keen on meat in my soup :/