$$$

Options
PA21
PA21 Posts: 95 Member
So I just found out that some nurses at this hospital each put in R50 (it's equivalent to like $7 US but here in South Africa, the way nurses get paid, that's A LOT) each week and whoever loses the most weight that week gets to keep ALL OF IT. Between like 10 women. It would be like winning $500. Seriously!
I don't know if anyone can do this with your friends or coworkers but it's such a great idea!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    since you guys work in a hospital, do you have access to a bod pod or body fat testing machine? I generally don't like weight loss competitions simply because the encourage "faster" weight loss, which doesn't necessarily correlate with healthy weight loss, now body fat, you can lose that as fast as you want, and as long as you stay above 13% or so, no problems( for women at least).
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey Banks-
    I'm not the one who works in the hospital :) It's a competition I heard of, thought it was a good motivator :) Money makes the the world go round!
  • Kytana
    Kytana Posts: 63
    Options
    It's a great idea! A friend of mine works in an office where they're doing their own "Biggest Loser" challenge, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place monetary prizes based on how many people ante'd up the $20 to be a part of the challenge (36 people). Moolah can be motivation!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm in a Biggest Loser competition in my school system- we each put in $10, and whoever's lost the most percentage of weight loss at the end gets it all. Helps keep us motivated- I won the last round. In response to a previous poster, I don't think it makes us aim for extreme weight loss- I think I lost 14% over 12 weeks, which was like 1.5 pounds a week.....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hey Banks-
    I'm not the one who works in the hospital :) It's a competition I heard of, thought it was a good motivator :) Money makes the the world go round!

oh, lol, sorry, I thought you meant that you heard it because you worked with them.

Anyway, I'm just not a big fan of people trying to lose to fast, it leads to a lot of complications, corner cutting, unhealthy nutritional choices, even pills in some instances.
  • summrrskinny
    Options
    it's a great idea, as long as you are all around the same weight - if there is someone who is 200lbs and someone who weighs 130lbs trying to lose weight, the larger person will always drop the pounds off faster
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, Summer. I eat clean and exercise for at least an hour every day and have only lost 4 pounds in a month. It all depends on several different factors. My body does not like letting me lose weight because of my many genetic issues. I have lost 32 total since January but I was eating extremely low in calories. I would sometimes skip breakfast and lunch. So therefore, when I am doing things healthy like this it slows things way down for me and makes it much harder for me to lose. and yes I drink LOTS of water so I know I'm hydrated.