New to Fitness Pal and scared of sugar

Options
Hello Everyone,
This is so much better. I love it. In the 3 days that I have been on this, I am more aware of what I put in my mouth; especially, my sugar intake. Research shows that the juices and sweet teas, I drank instead of pop, are loaded with sugar. WOW is all I can say. I wish everyone the best of luck. I'll be rooting for you. And I hope that you will do the same for me. Good luck everyone.

Replies

• kdonkin
    kdonkin Posts: 10
    Options
    I feel ya. Sugar, more than anything, has always been a point of contention for me. It's in EVERYTHING! Finding ways to drastically decrease my sugar intake is going to be one of my challenges, but MFP is definitely making me more aware.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I know sugar is bad for you, but I did want to say that natural sugars (in whole fruits that come with fiber and in foods like milk or even some vegetables) have a very different impact than added sugars. Sometimes I even go over on my sugar intake, but I don't worry so much if it's because I had an apple, or if it was milk or something natural that put me over.

Good luck to you too! MFP is pretty awesome.
  • Cisqueen
    Cisqueen Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome. Its been 12 days for me and lost 5 llbs already. Feeling great. I have not had luck with anything else. The thing about this is that you eat. Its makes you do better choice in food. Good Luck my friend.:happy:
  • dbmarks
    dbmarks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To avoid the high fructose corn syrup in most sweetened drinks, I usually get unsweetened tea and add plain sugar. You probably can't get more than 2 or 3 teaspoons to dissolve, and at 16 calories per teaspoon, it's nowhere close to what's in the sweetened drinks. It's still plenty sweet for me.
  • 50fabfifty
    50fabfifty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad to know you are more aware of the sugar...I went cold turkey off added sugar once I found that all my exercising went toward burning the extra sugar INSTEAD of the fat! Once I cut the sugar, I dropped pounds like crazy and built muscle. It's fantastic! And MFP helps me think about every morsel I put in my mouth. And like Bethrs, I don't worry if the sugar is from an apple or strawberries or berries. I gave up sweet drinks, frozen drinks, and all soda. My blood sugar is great and the pre-diabetes is gone! Good luck to you!!