Can fruit make you fat?

Options
Do you guys log all your fruit intake? And is there such a thing as too much fruit??? I've heard both sides of the story...tell me your opinions!

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site for 3 days and can already tell this is one of the most talked about subjects. I dont have the answer for you, good luck!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Fruits count towards your take caloric intake just like anything else. Although I'd rather eat too many apples than doughnuts. :-) I log my fruit as I would any other food. Hope this helps.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Anything can make you fat. Fruit afterall has calories. Fruit is a carbohydrate, and if you eat too much carbohydrate guess what...your body turns it into fat!

That being said, fruit is definitely a better choice than many other foods to snack on...but it is high in calories so yes I think it is important to log it!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    fruit can not make you fat, unless you are eating a **** ton of fruit all the time
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad.

I would stick with 3 to 4 servings of fruit a day.

But... if you are choosing between a muffin, a candy bar or an apple, choose the apple every time :smile:
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing.....Trust me!!!! when I started tracking I put in my old breakfast and snack and I thought oh its fruit it cannot be bad for you....I was eatting almost 650 calories of fruit each day :) there is such a thing....measure it out....stay away from melon and oranges...very high in sugar!!!

Blackberries, Blueberries, and raspberries are some of hte best ones for you!!!!!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit. I log it like any other food, knowing that an 80 calorie apple has more nutrition than a 150 calorie donut!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    LoL..i hope not..i eat a bunch a day ;)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    fruit makes you bloated, too much fruit will make you look fat
    fruit was eaten by our ancestors so they could get fat because they didnt know when there next meal might me
    so watch the high fructose fruit, eat 1 or 2 servings a day...
  • JRehrey
    JRehrey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! From what I know too much fruit can be bad on your diet because some fruits have a lot of natural sugars that can add to your diet. Eating a good portion of fruit in a day especially some with breakfast or lunch is good for you but just be careful of the sugar that is in the fruit. This is what I have been told and what I noticed in my own diet. I love fruit but I just try to only eat a few servings in a day. I hope this helps you.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site for 3 days and can already tell this is one of the most talked about subjects. I dont have the answer for you, good luck!

No, not in these terms. Anyone who thinks they can eat all of the fruit in the room without it affecting their weight loss is kidding themselves. The actual fruit debate is just one way of waging the sugar/carb debate.

That being said, my at the bottom of a healthy BMI partner eats up to 5 fruits a day - it depends on *your* body and how it reacts to fruits, which is probably different for different fruits. Tropical fruits tend to have higher sugar and lower fiber content, for example.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i log everything i eat. EVERYTHING!! it's the only way to truly keep track and be honest with myself about what i'm eating.

i don't have an answer for if fruit makes you fat. as far as i know, it's all about calories in vs calories out, so if you're eating 3000 calories of fruit and not moving, then yeah, i guess it could make you fat. in the same way that eating 3000 cals of chocolate would. i'm not sure about the effect on blood sugar levels and insulin and all that stuff.

but i eat plenty of the stuff :-). mind you i was fat to begin with! the fruit may have helped me get fat, but i'm gonna bet it had more to do with beer and pizza!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Fruit contains calories just like all food. Eat X amount of cals over what your body needs and it is stored. Fruit is a great healthy snack becuase it is natural sugar and contains anti-oxidiants, vitamins, etc. But eat watermelon, bananas and peaches all day and you will gain weight. A well balance moderate carb, high protein, low cal/low fat eating lifestyle is the way to go.
  • Cmsl90
    Cmsl90 Posts: 16
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts differently. I have discovered that Pineapple can cause me to gain weight if I eat it too much. I limit myself the eating that as a treat once in awhile. As with everything...you have to eat things and watch how your body reacts. Eating the same fruit day in and day out will make your body turn it into something bad. Just like you are suppose to rotate your veggies between greens, oranges, yellows, etc with every meal...your should rotate the fruits you eat.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Anything will make you fat if you eat enough of it :ohwell:
  • itskristina
    itskristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In reply to an earlier comment:

mmmm beer and pizza lol
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Do you guys log all your fruit intake? And is there such a thing as too much fruit???

b220091421.jpg
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options
    im gonna go ahead and say not one person is on this site because they ate too much fruit. but, you still need to track all calories like everyone says.
  • kpadilla411
    Options
    im gonna go ahead and say not one person is on this site because they ate too much fruit. but, you still need to track all calories like everyone says.
    You are 100% right!!
    We are here for eating too much junk and fruit is a better alternative now.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    When you're someone such as myself who can eat a bag of apples and a bunch of bananas in an afternoon, then yes, fruit can make you gain weight.