What is "clean eating"?

Options
I hear people mention all the time about "clean eating" and I'm just not sure what that means? Could someone fill in the blanks for me, I'm really interested! Thanks!

Replies

• north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Me too.......

My understanding is eating as close to nature as possible. Nothing processed. Natural foods like fruit and veggies.....I could be way off base though :)
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think it means eating as close to nature as possible (non-processed, organic foods, grass fed beef, etc,).
  • Jalcine
    Jalcine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try googling it - Tosca Reno has written a lot of books on clean eating. She has a pretty decent website too! Its basically avoiding processed foods, eating lots of organic fruits & veggies (when possible.. if not, non-organic will do), and yummy lean meats and complex carbohydrates. No refined sugars/flours or anything.. I tried it for a while, but I find low-carb diets more suitable for me :)
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Check out "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan also, one of my favorites from the book goes something like this, "If you wouldn't keep it on the shelf in your pantry in it's singular form (i.e. high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc.) don't eat it." I am trying to make the transition, but it is definitely hard. Great magazine, "Clean Eating" A friend recommended a book called "If it's not food, don't eat it." I can't remember the name of that author, but Tosca Reno's books as mentioned above are supposed to be good and she is also featured regularly in Oxygen Magazine which also has amazing recipes and great exercises!