People are sooooo unsupportive of clean eating!

Options
So, I've been healthy for my entire life. I've always made healthy decisions and recently I decided I would start eating clean to get the body that I want and desire. Not to mention the health benefits that come from taking care of one's self. It seems like everyone around me criticizes. These are the comments I have been getting: What's with your new diet? Are you trying to rub in my face? You should find someone that's as healthy as you? I could never be that comitted! Is your eating some sort of hidden message? Are you trying to say something? etc. I am sooooo upset about this because these are people that are close to me and say that they love me. How come people are so critical when we make good choices? If I were to sit there shoveling a bunch of doughnuts in my face would they say anything then? I doubt it! I just don't know how to handle this and I don't know how to let it stop bothering me. :sad:

Replies

• ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree..it's incredibly hard. I just came back home for the summer and I have to deal with everyone's comments on what I eat..always offering me unhealthy food and when I decline they get worried that there's something wrong, it's like the strangest thing for them to wrap their head around the fact that I just want to be healthy. So I definitely think it's harder for people to make healthier choices bc theres so much pressure to do otherwise. We have to be strong though! This is for our own good
  • crunkpunch
    Options
    It's because they are jealous... and they are afraid of what you are thinking about what their eating!

I've been doing a lot of research on clean eating and I'm trying to adapt it into my meals. It does help that most of the people at my work are really good eaters.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's because they are jealous... and they are afraid of what you are thinking about what their eating!

I've been doing a lot of research on clean eating and I'm trying to adapt it into my meals. It does help that most of the people at my work are really good eaters.

I have to disagree here. It's because many of us "non-clean eaters" have been criticized for NOT eating clean! I've seen it many times. Someone posts a recipe that isn't clean, and the next thing you know, some clean eater is bashing it and takes it beyond food, to some sort of personal attack! I'm not saying all of you who eat clean do this, just that the ones who do have made some non-clean eaters sensitive. But for what it's worth, I congratulate you on eating clean! I think it's terrific! It's definitely something I've been contemplating, and I have no doubt it's healthier. I wish all of us would be more supportive of each others' decisions (assuming the person in question isn't eating babies or something!).
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Your not the only one out there. My inlaws are like that. All of them are obese and quickly to say something when they see me eating my portion sized meals. They say girl you need to eat!! Your getting anarexic on us?? What you don't like our food? I feel like so NO! I want to be able to see my feet till the day I die. It also doesn't help that they have candy laying around everywhere. I mean everywhere in the house. Even at the bedsides...My fiance is not very supportive either. He has been shoveling candy down his face sense he woke up this morning. He does't care though he just lost 20lbs and is only 5 lbs from his goal weight....sooo annoying!! I am happy that he lost the lbs but Im like come on now put down the resses peanut butter cups. Just hang in there and think of what your body will look like and what theres is going to look like. Hey they are going to need someone when they can't walk around right??
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately this is true. It's just because you are doing something out of the ordinary. It's hard for it to not bother me too, I get it from co-workers, friends and even my wife at times. Like me eating good is just crazy.

Just today at lunch I made a super yummy protein shake and my wife asked me if that was all I was going to have. I said yes, it's delicious and filling and great for me. She just shakes her head and said what about something with consistancy? I just chuckle, a 500 calorie shake with 70g of protein I guess doesn't qualify as having consistancy.

Hard to not let it bother you but don't! Most of the time it's just a way for people to justify themselves eating bad, like you're the weirdo!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Let ummmm hate on ya!! I've been personally having a terrible week overall but have moved mine and my boyfriends lifestyle to clean eating... and my body LOVES IT! My boyfriend even at first would add extra sauces and extra portions, but lately even he has said how much better he feels and energetic and his body seems to be working more effeciently too....

It's very hard to feel like you have to justify eating right to the people who you thought would be more supporters than haters! But this takes an intense focus at times and others around can take that as a change of mind set... DUH! THAT'S WHY WE'RE DOING THIS!!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    My dad was on the phone with me this evening and he's on oxygen, still smokes, drinks heavy and is very over weight. I feel really sad for him. Anyways, I was running around all day with my munchkins at the mall etc....My girls had lunch at the mall and I had a protein shake right before so I passed and just drank some water. I had packed an apple and a handful of almonds for later in case I got hungry. Anyways, my parents wanted to have my girls over for a sleep over and I was in the midst of cooking up my chicken breast and whole wheat pasta with garic....I had to pack it to go to get them there. I ate it in front of my dad and then tonight on the phone he asked what's with your new diet? And then asked if I was trying to rub it in his face. Tonight I picked the girls up and my mom put a big peice of banana bread on a plate and said there's a peice of banana bread for you. I said would you share, this slice is too big and she replied she had enough already. Anyways, I ate a little more then half just to avoid the criticism I knew would come if I didn't. Now how sad is that!
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    what is "clean eating"? is something specific, like all natural foods, or just eating better in general? im curious b/c i think i might like to do that, but i dont know exactly what it is.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of those comments may come from the person's own self consciousness about what they're eating, not about what you're eating. Your healthy diet may make them insecure when they realize they're eating junk. They may actually want to change but don't know where to start. The "I could never be that committed" comment may simply be the truth from that person. They think they don't have the willpower to change their habits, or maybe they're just scared to change.

Whatever the case may be, I wouldn't take it personally. It seems like it has more to do with their own issues regarding food than with them not being supportive of you.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    what is "clean eating"? is something specific, like all natural foods, or just eating better in general? im curious b/c i think i might like to do that, but i dont know exactly what it is.

Clean eating is eating foods as natural as intended. If you are interested I'd suggest picking up a copy of Tosca Reno's Clean Eating Recharged. It has very useful information and lots of recipes too! :bigsmile:
  • music_lover_103
    Options

Clean eating is eating foods as natural as intended. If you are interested I'd suggest picking up a copy of Tosca Reno's Clean Eating Recharged. It has very useful information and lots of recipes too! :bigsmile:

okay i will definitely look into it! thanks!
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    I think the major problem people have with eating clean is that it is incredibly far removed from the way that society portrays food and eating.

Unfortunately, convenience and packaged processed food is considered normal and anything that is in it's natural state is considered boring, uninteresting and bland unless it is combined with some kind of processed sauce or product.

This mentality is crazy... there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating clean and think that people should strive to eat as cleanly as possible even if they do eat the occasional processed food.

People criticise things that are not normal to them as a defence mechanism, this is why you are getting all this backlash. The reality is that eating choices are personal so why should you feel guilty for doing what you want with your body?

For now I just suggest grinning and bearing it, but if you are being critised to a level that is no longer acceptable, I would tell them. I am having the same problem so I can completely relate to how difficult the situation is.

We went to my mother-in-laws house the friday after pancake day, and she was making pancakes. She asked if I wanted one, to which I said 'no thank you, I am not eating that kind of thing'. She was like 'why, there is nothing in them. So why aren't you eating. Sorry I didn't make Weight Watchers food.'

I tried to explain, I am NOT on Weight Watchers, but I don't want to eat food that has no nutritional value and are essentially fat. She said she didn't understand, and finally my other half stepped in and said, 'Mom, of course they are not good for you, they are made of flour, eggs and milk and cooked in loads of oil! Then he just said if Ash wants to eat them she will, but if she doesn't she won't.'

Thank goodness, he backed me up but I shouldn't need to explain myself because I don't want a pancake! Ridiculous... needless to say since I keep getting told that I was 'going to be invited for dinner, but decided not too because they couldn't guarantee the caloric intake of my food'.

I just smile and say, 'that's okay I am a good cook, no worries!'

At this rate, I might not be receiving a card at xmas!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. If you feel good about what you eat, then why let it bother you what other people say or think? If you like your style of eating and feel good about yourself, I wouldn't pay any attention to the criticizing you are getting. I get picked at all the time at work for being a vegetarian.. am I going to go to McDonalds and order a big mac to shut them up? Noooo. I am proud of being a vegetarian, it is part of who I am! Be proud of your clean eating.

I really need to pick up this book everyone is talking about.. I really see a difference on days where I consume packaged goods vs. eating more vegetables and fruits and staying away from processed foods.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I think the major problem people have with eating clean is that it is incredibly far removed from the way that society portrays food and eating.

Unfortunately, convenience and packaged processed food is considered normal and anything that is in it's natural state is considered boring, uninteresting and bland unless it is combined with some kind of processed sauce or product.

This mentality is crazy... there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating clean and think that people should strive to eat as cleanly as possible even if they do eat the occasional processed food.

People criticise things that are not normal to them as a defence mechanism, this is why you are getting all this backlash. The reality is that eating choices are personal so why should you feel guilty for doing what you want with your body?

For now I just suggest grinning and bearing it, but if you are being critised to a level that is no longer acceptable, I would tell them. I am having the same problem so I can completely relate to how difficult the situation is.

We went to my mother-in-laws house the friday after pancake day, and she was making pancakes. She asked if I wanted one, to which I said 'no thank you, I am not eating that kind of thing'. She was like 'why, there is nothing in them. So why aren't you eating. Sorry I didn't make Weight Watchers food.'

I tried to explain, I am NOT on Weight Watchers, but I don't want to eat food that has no nutritional value and are essentially fat. She said she didn't understand, and finally my other half stepped in and said, 'Mom, of course they are not good for you, they are made of flour, eggs and milk and cooked in loads of oil! Then he just said if Ash wants to eat them she will, but if she doesn't she won't.'

Thank goodness, he backed me up but I shouldn't need to explain myself because I don't want a pancake! Ridiculous... needless to say since I keep getting told that I was 'going to be invited for dinner, but decided not too because they couldn't guarantee the caloric intake of my food'.

I just smile and say, 'that's okay I am a good cook, no worries!'

At this rate, I might not be receiving a card at xmas!

Isn't that the worst...having to explain ourselves? It is RIDICULOUS! I feel like I have to justify all of the good food I put in my body and why I'm eating it. And that I'm not starving, don't need a white dinner roll on the side with my chicken and brocoli in whole wheat pasta. I'm the ***** that brings her own food and I get rolled eys, dirty looks and probably talks behind the back. Funny thing is, I don't glare at them for what they put in their mouths, I don't talk about the heaping tbs of butter they just smoothered on their white bun or give them dirty looks. At this rate I may not be going to any dinners cause I may not be invited!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. If you feel good about what you eat, then why let it bother you what other people say or think? If you like your style of eating and feel good about yourself, I wouldn't pay any attention to the criticizing you are getting. I get picked at all the time at work for being a vegetarian.. am I going to go to McDonalds and order a big mac to shut them up? Noooo. I am proud of being a vegetarian, it is part of who I am! Be proud of your clean eating.

I really need to pick up this book everyone is talking about.. I really see a difference on days where I consume packaged goods vs. eating more vegetables and fruits and staying away from processed foods.

You are very right! I'm just finding it VERY difficult to deal with the criticism because NO ONE around me eats this way, nor do they understand it, they don't even want me to explain. I just wish they were a little more supportive and kept their comments to themselves.
  • MoM2LayLa09
    MoM2LayLa09 Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi friend : )
    I think they only do this because they are so incredibly insecure about their own choices they want you to be right down there with them so they are not the only ones. My husband has a big polish family and we have been together for 10 years and like you I have always tried to maintain a healthy outlook and more often than not make the right choices. And they are constantly offering me fattening foods and actually have cried and asked me how could I deny what they have cooked for me and so on. I don't care, I will bluntly say over and over, YES I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, NO I AM NOT EATING LARD, I'M SORRY I DONT LIKE DUMPLINGS. BALH BLAH BLAH.

Sometimes I get really angry and my dad always makes smart remarks.. what diet are you on today. And if I do decided to try one of his famous cookies he is all up in my face about how I am failing whatever I am trying to do. He thinks it is all or nothing.

I dont know what to do either.. I just try to go on with my life, teach them healthy choices and try to show them that I am teaching my daughter how to live healthy. I hope they will realize one day how important healthy eating is.. but until then... to each their own, but I also wish they would keep their mouths shut.

One other thing I hate..... I hate that people bigger than me ( in size or weight ) always tell me that i'm tiny and need to eat more, i'm losing to much weight blah blah... I am 15lbs over a healthy weight and 28lbs over what I was on my wedding day.

Idk.. I could go on all day about this subject - I think this subject is what ultimately takes people away from their healthy eating.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that those of us who choose this lifestyle are making a rather classist lifestyle choice. We're agonizing over steel cut vs. rolled oats while a third of the world starves, and there are major food inequality issues here in the US. The psychology linked to food runs very, very deep. While I personally do as much at home as I can, I recognize the need to care via feeding and simply decline with a smile without offering an excuse or explanation. Don't make an issue out of it and usually people don't notice. If you expect them to be respectful of your food choices, then by all means return the favor. Don't tell them "there's nothing good in that" for heaven's sake! Remembering your health is important, but so is remembering your manners!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that those of us who choose this lifestyle are making a rather classist lifestyle choice. We're agonizing over steel cut vs. rolled oats while a third of the world starves, and there are major food inequality issues here in the US. The psychology linked to food runs very, very deep. While I personally do as much at home as I can, I recognize the need to care via feeding and simply decline with a smile without offering an excuse or explanation. Don't make an issue out of it and usually people don't notice. If you expect them to be respectful of your food choices, then by all means return the favor. Don't tell them "there's nothing good in that" for heaven's sake! Remembering your health is important, but so is remembering your manners!

Well said. I am learning this as I go along. The other day the basket of white dinner rolls with warm butter was passed to me and when I didn't take one, I was asked why. I said 'because they are white'. That's when the 'pushing' ensued. If I had said something more socially acceptable like 'I don't want to get to full of bread, I'm saving room for dinner/dessert', it probably would of went over with no hassle. I'm going to try to start curbing my healthy comments and hoping that helps me avoid the retorts.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    So, I had to google what clean eating is... ironically, it's pretty much what I do. I've been in the same situation - I tend to think people have their own food issues, so if they are over-indulging, they feel better if they aren't the only one. (Kinda like - Getting drunk is acceptable if everyone there is doing it, but not so acceptable when you're the only one. :laugh: ) I tend to try to diffuse it with a simple "no thanks" (making sure to sound as uninterested as I can) OR, better yet, I'll do it with humor. (being in the south, I use the biggest southern accent I can muster and say... "Oh honey, that stuff & my tummy do not get along! Trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near me afterward." Normally, I get a laugh and NEVER do they ask again. :wink:
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's generally the ones that do nothing that don't like someone leaving the herd. It's easy to not challenge yourself, and thereby not challenge others.

Take it as a badge of honor. You'll gain friends that actually work towards bettering themselves.