Holy cow....SOOOO out of shape!

Options
Okay, so I bought a weighted jump rope, figuring it was a way to do some cardio, so that I'm moving at least a little a few times a week. Did it for the first time today, and thought I was gonna die!

After not nearly long enough, I was so short of breath that I had to stop. Ended up jumping for like 20 jumps, pausing to catch my breath a little, another 20 jumps, etc.

My questions are a.) am I the only one THIS out of shape? And b.) how in the world am I supposed to improve on this?

I'm really shocked at how out of shape I am! And also quite discouraged...all I can think is how did I let myself get this bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Use it to set a mini-goal. 20 jumps today. 30 jumps tomorrow. When I started l lifting weights again last year I could only bench 170lbs. I used to do sets of 10-12 reps with over 200lbs I'm not quite there yet but I'm still setting small goals and it keeps me motivated.
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    I felt the same way too once I got on the elliptical machine for the first time. After five minutes I was panting so hard I thought I would pass out. So after a few days of being discouraged, I went back to the gym and got on the stationary bike. This was something I could do, I could do it for an hour. And once I feel I can handle the elliptical, I will get back on it. It takes time, but you'll get there.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I pushed play on my first workout program one year ago. How did it get better? I kept pushing play day after day... One year later, I'm glad I did... I still have some progress to make, but I'm in a much better spot now than when I started. Just take it one day at a time... and pretty soon, you'll be looking back on the "old" you.
  • zimzim23
    zimzim23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know it's discouraging, but you really will improve! Next week aim for 25 jumps at a time and so on, don't discouraged! And yes I think everyone has been there at some point... We all have to start somewhere, you just have to keep pushing yourself =)
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are the only one. And there is no hope.

Hahaha, I keeed of course. Keep at it. Jumping rope is actually pretty tiring. Enjoy the journey; seeing one's fitness improve is very satisfying.
  • hungrycop
    Options
    I use to play tennis and run an 11minute mile and half, now i get winded walking to the refrigerator...it sucks, but it's gonna change.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya... one year ago I couldn't run for 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die!!!! Yesterday, I ran nine miles. Yes, that's miles, not minutes!!! It takes time to build up, but you'll get there! I like the suggestion to just add a little every day! Keep moving and your body will thank you!!!!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is high intensity. I'm in pretty good shape and we do 2 minute jump rope drills in one of my classes that nearly kill me everytime. I'd much rather run, cycle, jump over steps, do push ups or generally anything! :)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one. I used to be able to jump rope all day. So I thought OH that's easy enough. Well no. I can't even get my fat butt off the ground that much. I have to do these weird little hops. And then I get so out of breath after about 10 jumps or 15 that I have to stop and take a breath for a second. Boy does that make me mad!!! I may have to get a weighted jump rope though....hmm. I didn't even know that they had those!!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is high intensity. I'm in pretty good shape and we do 2 minute jump rope drills in one of my classes that nearly kill me everytime. I'd much rather run, cycle, jump over steps, do push ups or generally anything! :)

This post is absolutely bang on. When jumping rope you are lifting your entire body of the ground, i.e. have to provide an enormous amount of force to overcome gravity, esp. if you are a bit heavier. This is very exhausting and not that useful for anyone much out of shape b/c you simply will not be able to sustain that for very long. Instead I would recommend stair climbing, even speed walking, jogging, even squats with the occasional jump thrown in. Much better for your ankles also until you feel stronger.
    And yes, it is cool to log the number of minutes (seconds) you can perform an activity just to chart and see your progress. When we are quite out of shape it is no reason to be discouraged. Instead a side benefit b/c even small amounts of exercising and better eating will soon show clear improvements. The time to get discouraged is when you are super super fit and try to improve your running time by 0.2 seconds after weeks of training:) So rejoice. LIfe is good.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My questions are a.) am I the only one THIS out of shape? And b.) how in the world am I supposed to improve on this?

a.) Nope, a lot of us are right there with ya!
    b.) A little bit at a time!

Don't beat yourself up over anything in the past. It does not exist anymore. This is a great adventure you have just started! Keep it up, keep going, and after a little while you will be looking down and see how far you have climbed up! The view will be awesome!
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    NO! You're not the only one! I know misery loves company-so you've got some. I used to play sports, basketball and track and field, and I wasn't too bad. Now I'm getting out of breath walking down the street! That's about my speed now. Hopefully before long I'll be able to jog. LOL! :embarassed: :laugh:
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Trust me you are for sure not the only one! I did the pacer running test before I started losing weight and ended up doing 12 and getting exausted! I did about 6 more and it was too painful to go on :P
    I just re-did them last week though, and did 26 without breaking a sweat(:
    You just have to push yourself a little harder every day(: It gets easier!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are the only one. And there is no hope.

Hahaha, I keeed of course. Keep at it. Jumping rope is actually pretty tiring. Enjoy the journey; seeing one's fitness improve is very satisfying.

LOLOLOL.

We are here to bring discouragement! LOL For a long time I kept an e-mail of de-motivational posters. It was so funny.

The first time I went to the gym, I jumped on the stairmaster. After a full 5 minutes I walked over to the trash can and begged myself not to throw up. A couple of weeks ago I did a 10 mile hike in a rugged area. So yep, there's hope.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Haha - this is me! I find nterval training (jogging, then walking, then jogging etc) good. I would time myself on the field with my dog and jog for 1 minute. I haven't done this for about a month now, but the last time I did, I could jog for 3 minutes before 'dying', when to begin with I could only do 1 minute. Mini victory haha! :tongue:
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    A) You are most definitely NOT the only one "that" out of shape! I just took up running, and let me tell you that no matter how "in shape" I feel when I do anything else, running lets me know just how wrong I am!

B) To improve, just keep doing it! Add a few more jumps to each workout you do. This same idea works for me, as well - the Couch 2 5k running plan starts you off at like, a minute of running, with 4 minutes of walking in between. So far, I'm am at the 3 minutes running, 1.5 minutes walking; 5 minutes running, 2.5 minutes walking. That's FIVE minutes of running at a time, TWICE per each of my workouts. I never thought I'd be able to run for five minutes straight, let alone twice in 30 minutes, with another 6 minutes thrown in for good measure!

So you are not alone, and keep up the good work!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about throwing yourself in at the deep end!

If you're overweight and unfit, high impact excercises might not be the best way to start - apart from being extremely discouraging, your joints may not be that strong yet.

Thing is, if you try for something too intense, you'll just get tired too quickly and won't actually get much exercise at all. How about just going for a few brisk walks for now? Aim for getting slightly out of breath, but not too breathless that you could not have a conversation at all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hey if you are coordinated enough to jump the rope that many times you are doing well. I am in decent shape, but struggle to jump rope without strangling myself or getting the rope wrapped around my legs. If you can do it, it is a wonderful exercise.

To improve, work up slowly over time. I would suggest, if you want to keep at the jump rope, to do a bunch of short sessions throughout the day. Maybe a bunch is an overstatement. Maybe 3 or 4 sessions. Over time you will find your body gets better at it, and you can go longer. Then you can think about one longer session. Also, don't fear doing intense activity say jump rope for a short period of time, then rest by marching in place while your heart rate recovers. Repeat the pattern a few times. This is basically a type of Interval training that is far superior to going at a steady pace for a long period of time.
  • smileybsa83
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I really needed the encouragement. I also appreciate all the ideas. I will definately be working some of them in.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    I think we think about activities we used to do when we were kids and get discouraged when we cant do them like a kid. Let me tell you things have changed since we were kids. But keep it up!!