Can fruit make you fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do you guys log all your fruit intake? And is there such a thing as too much fruit??? I've heard both sides of the story...tell me your opinions!

I log it, yes. Sometimes people who come here from WW don't realize that with MFP you are supposed to log everything that has any calories. Log the veggies too!

You can eat too much of anything, so yes, it's possible to eat too much fruit.

The sugars in fruits are metabloized the same way that table sugar and HFCS are, so it makes sense to keep an eye on them. However, fruits are also powerhouses of nutrients, antioxidants and (depending on the fruit) fiber, so there are some good reasons to eat them. I mainly stick to berries, but then again I have never been a big fruit eater.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit for breakfast EVERY day. Apples and grapes in the winter, and cantalopes, strawberries, and blueberries in the summer. In addition, I have a serving of nuts and a small yogurt for breakfast. This fills me up and enables me to stay away from eggs, bacon, breads, & cerials. I always try to pick the "lesser of evils" when deciding what to eat. That said, If you eat too much of anything, it will make you fat.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I eat fruit for breakfast EVERY day. Apples and grapes in the winter, and cantalopes, strawberries, and blueberries in the summer. In addition, I have a serving of nuts and a small yogurt for breakfast. This fills me up and enables me to stay away from eggs, bacon, breads, & cerials. I always try to pick the "lesser of evils" when deciding what to eat. That said, If you eat too much of anything, it will make you fat.

Why would you want to stay away from eggs?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat, irrespective of where those calories come from.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    Options

Eggs are a gateway food for me!!I can't eat eggs without bacon and bread!!:wink:
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    I think you will find that MFP (or any calorie tracking tool) will not work for you if you are not logging all of your calories - the whole point is to track the calories you take in so you can stay in the "correct" calorie range to lose (or maintain - or gain) weight. If you are eating things & not tracking them - you will not have an accurate count and you will not get the results you are hoping for. =0)
  • Atlantique
    Options

Eggs are a gateway food for me!!I can't eat eggs without bacon and bread!!:wink:

Ah, I see. Like when I quit smoking, that first cup of coffee in the morning was a killer! Gotcha!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    im gonna go ahead and say not one person is on this site because they ate too much fruit. but, you still need to track all calories like everyone says.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fteale
    Options
    Plus eggs have high cholesterol.
  • Atlantique
    Options

OMG, we're not going to bring this irrational fear of eggs back onto the boards are we? :sick:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    If:

CaloriesIn-CaloriesOut = 0 for the day (this is SO hypothetical for a million reasons, but assume that you are at that exact zero mark where if you so much as need energy to take a breath you'll be netting negative and burning fat X-D). Where was I? Oh right if you are at the specific point where your body is netting 0 calories and you eat an apple and an equal amt of calories of refined sugar at the same time - you'll get fat from both. :-D

If, however, you start doing jumping jacks while you eat said apple and an equal amount of cals from refined sugar - you'll get some of those calories packed on as fat. Most of them will probably be from the apple (depending on how slow you do the jacks and how many calories you burned from them). Why? Because it goes through your system slower. The sugars in the refined sugar are known as "processed sugar". A lot of the work that your stomach is made to do has already been done. You get the sugar high faster, it leaves just as fast, and the end products start turning to fat quicker. Whereas the apple will take more energy to process and will process slower. The energy expenditure from jumping jacks will already be covered by the sugar before the apple finishes digesting.

Does this make fruit bad? No. Not even close. That fast sugar high screws with your insulin levels, hormones, hunger levels...it's really a train wreck to the system.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    Basically you want to mix up your healthy carbs. Grains/fruit/vegetables...they process at different rates. If you incorporate them fairly evenly you'll find that you have a pretty even energy level throughout the day.
  • donicagalek
    Options

OMG, we're not going to bring this irrational fear of eggs back onto the boards are we? :sick:

Was it hard to take the words out of my mouth? :-D

If you eat a couple of dozen eggs a week then you have to worry about the cholesterol. An egg a day for breakfast is entirely healthy. But if you want to be an egg-whiter, that's your choice. I'd never be able to throw out yolks or pay more for processed partial eggs in a carton. :-)
  • yaddayaddayadda
    Options
    But eggs alone are boring...

now if you add bacon, cheese, and bread, and a mimosa... and maybe a pancake or two, that's a good breakfast!!

...there go all my calories before 9:00!:grumble:

...that's why I stick to grapes, apples, and yogurt

plus, no pans to wash either:bigsmile:
  • fteale
    Options
    Exactly - one egg a day, no problem. several a day - starts to be. I have seen no irrational fear of eggs on here, but it's common sense not to eat too many.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    Options
    Exactly - one egg a day, no problem. several a day - starts to be. I have seen no irrational fear of eggs on here, but it's common sense not to eat too many.

Did you mean Eggactly?

Sorry... I couldn't resist :laugh:
  • twotontessy
    Options
    you shouldn't over eat anything....that were we all run into problems...

fruit...should not make you fat, not. Fat = fiber and better sugars than anything you can find in a package, so while there is potential to over eat fruit, i would rather over eat fruit, than eat a bag of chips or box of cookies or thing of ice cream.

if you track everything you eat, and you make sure you eat enough protein, and good carbs...you should be good to enjoy the fruit you want while sticking in your daily allowance of calories.

one thing i have noticed on MFP is that their daily allowance of fiber is way tooo low....so track that as well and dont be shy to go way over whatever the daily limit on that one is.

good luck
  • hmh00001
    hmh00001 Posts: 1
    Options
    well if you eat to much of it then technically yes but that goes for everything! but as far as healthy snacks go, fruit is a good option. obviously there is natural sugars in fruit so it does count towards your daily calorie intake but make sure you get your 5 a day and don't be scared of fruit!! its good for you!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If u r eating a ton of fruit and getting fat then I would say it is the other things making u fat. Like the cream with the strawberries etc

Have a look at the 801010 diet which is basically fruit and veg with a few nuts. It is not so much for weight loss but a long term thing. The book is v good.

There is a website called 30 bananas a day which is full of people who follow that diet, some are fat but generally they are not and they talk of eating 3000+ cal a day and loosing. I think it must be to do with fruit using more energy to digest. From what I have learnt on that site and others experience if they eat 2000 of normal food they may stay the same but they can eat 3000 of fruit and veg and loose
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fruit is very healthy and a great alternative to other sugary foods... such as candy and doughnuts. I eat fruit all the time and it satisfies my sweet tooth plus is WAY healthier than what I would usually eat. However, too much of anything is bad and fruit does have calories and a lot of sugar, so you need to watch that!