A little discouraged

LolasEpicJourney
LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I see how well others are doing with weightloss - I love to gander at the success stories. And yet I am discouraged. I know many people have been working long and hard on this journey of theirs and I have only just begun (again).
I just wish I could see results sooner.
Its so incredibly easy to get in such a bad place - but it takes so much digging to get out. I have such a long road ahead of me - a new life style I am adapting too.
I have lost some weight - but I dont yet see a visual difference. I doubt I will see a huge one for a long time.

I try not to beat myself up about how I got here in the first place - I try to keep optimistic - but some days its just so hard!!!!

Replies

• I understand how easy it is to get discouraged and, if you are like me, you go get something to eat :) I am a confessed emotional eater, a bored eater, etc. I have been on a program for 5-6 weeks and have lost 9.2 pounds. It has taken a lot of discipline to have the two shakes and then a sensible meal but it is helping. One week I only lost .6 of a pound and I was very discouraged. However, the measurements showed improvement. So hang in there. Drink at least 10 glasses (8 oz) a day and get some exercise. Set small, achievable goals - I am going to walk 15 minutes today, I am going to say no to the dessert, extra helping, (fill in the blank), etc. and take victory when you do it. Be as honest with yourself as possible in logging your food. I know it is hard to find things that match up sometimes but do your best. It will help you to be honest and accountable with yourself. If you "blow it" put it down. It will help you. I wish you the best. Happy Easter! He is risen!!!!
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Don't get discouraged for most of us this is a long steady race that we must finish.
    I know it's hard at first when you don't see the results right away but believe me when I tell you that others will notice those changes way before you do.

And that's going to be a great motivator to keep you going. I hope to read about your success story on here someday.
    Take care and have a happy Easter.
  • amazondan
    amazondan Posts: 35
    Know it's a cliche, but time takes time. If you walk 14 miles into the woods, you have to walk 14 miles to get back out. So, accept the small victories and over time they add up. A pound here and a pound there and pretty soon you've lost 20. So keep at it.
  • BethanyCM
    BethanyCM Posts: 18
    When you said its easy to get in a bad place, but harder to get out..I agree. I wish it was the other way around. BUT sadly that's not how it works. Maybe the reason you don't see any difference in your appearance is because you see yourself everyday. I had the same problem and it was very discouraging. The way i noticed the difference was not looking in the mirror for a long while. Maybe that will help you. Also everyone is different therefore they will lose weight quicker or slower it depends on the body from what i had been told. Keep being optimistic! It will be worth it in the long run. Yes we all have our days, so there is no need to beat yourself up. I am here to help if you need any motivation. =]
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    It is hard, but you ARE doing it! You should be proud of yourself for that. :smile:

One suggestion? Alter your weight loss ticker to show how much you've lost, rather than how much you have to go. That way, you're celebrating your accomplishment, and not focusing on what's left.

I really believe that the biggest battle isn't with the scales or food or exercise. It's in our heads. Do everything you can to make success happen, even if it's in subtle little ways like changing the way the ticker is displayed, or making something a fitness goal instead of a weight-loss goal. For me, it was running. If I'd started Couch to 5k thinking or knowing, "At the end of 9 weeks, I'll have lost 10 pounds," I honestly probably wouldn't have bothered. It wouldn't have seemed worth it. But knowing, "At the end of 9 weeks, I'll be able to run 5k!" is more rewarding... a personal victory.
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    I understand your sentiments exactly. I am getting married in August this year but I need to be fitted for my basque in June so I need to lose the weight by then! I am hoping that I can get as much off in the short time I have left. You must stay positive After all if I go negative I could end up putting on the weight I have already lost and some more on top! Whereas if I am to keep losing the weight then I will be edging closer to my desired weight if not for my wedding but for a little while after!
  • LaurieJAndrews
    LaurieJAndrews Posts: 55 Member
    I see how well others are doing with weightloss - I love to gander at the success stories. And yet I am discouraged. I know many people have been working long and hard on this journey of theirs and I have only just begun (again).
    I just wish I could see results sooner.
    Its so incredibly easy to get in such a bad place - but it takes so much digging to get out. I have such a long road ahead of me - a new life style I am adapting too.
    I have lost some weight - but I dont yet see a visual difference. I doubt I will see a huge one for a long time.

I try not to beat myself up about how I got here in the first place - I try to keep optimistic - but some days its just so hard!!!!

I have lots to loose before a visible difference can been seen but can feel it inside. Keep going and before you know it there WILL be a visible difference. With the help of this site I'm loosing for the first time in years and I'm sticking to it which is rare for me. If I can do it, anyone can. I added loads of friends as it makes me feel Im letting them down if I fail. Weight loss buddies all in the same boat cheering eachother on. Good luck. xx
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Don't give up! I have lost 26 lbs and I personally see no visual difference. I know there is a difference but I can't see it. Try to concentrate on the other positives of it -- do you feel better? Sleep better? Is anything you do in your normal life easier?

My feet used to be sore when I would get up from sitting for long periods of time, and when I woke up in the morning, but now they aren't. I sleep better. I no longer huff and puff (as bad at least lol) when I go up stairs.

Try to see what your weight losss is helping with the little stuff. Your visual difference eventually HAS to come if you keep it up :)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Make yourself smaller goals... your ticker says 111 lbs to go.. wow I wouldnt want to look at that every day.. I started out with 120 lbs to go but mine says how much weight I've lost.. You have to play the mental game! Look at your accomplishments not how much you still have to do....
    I have a saying FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! I think of that everytime I want to not do an exercise or when I want to put extra food in my mouth!

You gotta start small.. remember Rome wasnt built in a day!! Took a long time to put that weight on! Gonna take time to take it off! and keep it off... Everyone is right about the logging.. I log everything and only eat what I log and vice versa. Some people do a cheat day some dont... find the way it works for you but you will at some point need to do some sort of exercise. I started with a super short walk.. 10 min thats it... now I do around 2 hrs of exercise each day... I started with 120 lbs to lose I now have umm let me calculate cuz I dont look at that number often....78 lbs left... I have been doing this for 10 weeks! If I can do it anyone can.. I have had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement and 2 other surgeries on my hips in the last 3 years.\

Gotta be mentally ready... if you are go for it... This works!! believe me I have tried all the diets known to man and woman alike!!
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Also don't forget you see yourself day in day out in the mirror so it will be harder to spot the difference. Which is why it is a good idea to have before pictures and also take measurements so you can see the inches go down. Record them on here or in a little book somewhere once a fortnight or something!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Thanks guys. I just have a lot going through my mind lately and its easy to get lost. I am honest about my food diary because lets be honest what good is it if I'm not. I posted a blog about my journey thus far of anyone wants to see where I'm coming from.
    I just have to remind myself to take this one day at a time.
  • It is discouraging to look at the long road ahead so look at the small steps that you have already achieved. Someone told me when I started on my journey by the yard its hard by the inch its a cinch, so that is how I look at it.

Make small attainable goals and before you know it you will be at the end of the road and feeling awesome.:smile:
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    stick to your guns. imagine where you'll be in 6 months? 9 months? a year? Losing even just 3 lbs a month creates substantial weight loss over time.
  • I never notice any changes on myself either. It is when others start to notice things that I finally feel like the hard work is paying off. I mean little things such as a friend noticing that my jeans look saggy in the butt or trying on that pair of shorts I want to wear and being able to pull them over the hips this month...next month THE ZIPPER WILL BE ZIPPED.

Don't lose hope, you are not alone, millions of us feel the exact same way. I just started (again) on trying to lose some weight. I found this site and hope that it helps me keep better track of my success. So far, 2 months with only 6lbs lost is really defeating me but finding some tid-bits on this site that is giving me a better understanding of what I may be doing wrong.

Keep smiling and hang in there.
This discussion has been closed.