So I hate running!

Options
This morning was the first day of training for a 5k. Yes thats not much, but I have never ran before. I went with my brother Riel, and brother in-law David. I know my brother can out run me in a second! David on the other hand is "bigger" than I and hardly exercises, if at all. I figured I would at least do better than him.. but I didn't. We are doing intervals. 1 min run, 1:30min walk for 20 mins. My second run I felt my throat start to close up so I had to try and slow my breathing down... yeah right! I didnt have my HRM on and I could hardly yell "STOP" to my brother to let him know its been a minute it was more like a little yelp. When we did our cool down walk I was dizzy and thought I was going to puke and had a cramp in my side. It was not fun thats for sure! I think maybe I pushed myself too hard. My HRM really does help me... Some say you just know when you push too hard... but I am competitive and when I see my brother and brother in-law ahead of me I want to beat them (even though they are way taller! haha). At least with my HRM I feel better knowing Im in the zone for me. I figure with most things... I ALWAYS HATE it at first... then once I get used to it I LOVE it! I just hope things get better... and I will make sure to bring my HRM

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    This morning was the first day of training for a 5k. Yes thats not much, but I have never ran before. I went with my brother Riel, and brother in-law David. I know my brother can out run me in a second! David on the other hand is "bigger" than I and hardly exercises, if at all. I figured I would at least do better than him.. but I didn't. We are doing intervals. 1 min run, 1:30min walk for 20 mins. My second run I felt my throat start to close up so I had to try and slow my breathing down... yeah right! I didnt have my HRM on and I could hardly yell "STOP" to my brother to let him know its been a minute it was more like a little yelp. When we did our cool down walk I was dizzy and thought I was going to puke and had a cramp in my side. It was not fun thats for sure! I think maybe I pushed myself too hard. My HRM really does help me... Some say you just know when you push too hard... but I am competitive and when I see my brother and brother in-law ahead of me I want to beat them (even though they are way taller! haha). At least with my HRM I feel better knowing Im in the zone for me. I figure with most things... I ALWAYS HATE it at first... then once I get used to it I LOVE it! I just hope things get better... and I will make sure to bring my HRM
  • giggles724
    giggles724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATS on taking the first step!- I was there not too long ago. Back in June I started running myself and hated it with a passion!-My husband who is a Marine was the one that kept pushing me. I couldn't even run a minute the first time before my feet would start hurting.....then my ankles all the way up half way up my shins........but as I kept doing it and losing weight, all those discomforts have dissapeared!!-
    I did my first 5K run the 1st of November and came in @ 31:56 minutes which I was sooo proud of!! considering it took me 45 minutes back in August when i first started training.
    Like you said, give it a little time and you'll learn to love it!-More when you see those pounds just melt away!!

Good Luck!!

91914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • cedargirl22
    cedargirl22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really hate running, too. I've trained for a couple of Sprint Triathlons and the running is always my least favorite. One blog I read suggested that you increase your runs by 10% every week. I have yet to try it, but my friend has been doing it for a month and she's able to keep it up. At the gym, music always helps and when I run outside, I try to enjoy the outdoors and keep a picture in my head of what a runners body looks like and what physique I'll get if I keep it up. Another thing is to find that "steady pace" you can comfortably keep your whole run session and to just push through when it feels hard. Even if it's slower than others, who cares? I'm sure you'll get faster with time. Just remember that to be good at most anything, it takes practice!

But hey, if anyone else has some tips on how to enjoy running, please post!

108246.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting out there!
    I don't like running either. I finished a 5K last year. I hated training for it, but once I crossed the finish line... I felt AMAZING!
    Keep it up, it will soon pay off!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Slow down:smile: It sounds like you are trying to run too fast. I recently started running and did my first 5k about 6 weeks ago. I am training for a half marathon in Feb. The group I run with runs a minute and walks a minute. since you are just getting started run at a slower pace and just try to run for the 20 minutes. You aren't trying to set any records. You are just trying to build up to a certain distance. My first race took over 39 minutes for me to complete. But I ran in a 5k and completed the course. There were even people behind me. And they completed the course as well(Yeah!!!) Go out and have fun. You are racing for your self. My training group is doing a 6 mile run this weekend. We have been slowly building mileage. Check out this link

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Hope this helps.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Slow down:smile: It sounds like you are trying to run too fast. I recently started running and did my first 5k about 6 weeks ago. I am training for a half marathon in Feb. The group I run with runs a minute and walks a minute. since you are just getting started run at a slower pace and just try to run for the 20 minutes. You aren't trying to set any records. You are just trying to build up to a certain distance. My first race took over 39 minutes for me to complete. But I ran in a 5k and completed the course. There were even people behind me. And they completed the course as well(Yeah!!!) Go out and have fun. You are racing for your self. My training group is doing a 6 mile run this weekend. We have been slowly building mileage. Check out this link

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Hope this helps.

Yeah this is what we are following! Day one was suppose to be Monday but I slept in! haha
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You will love it, I promise! It is really tough in the beginning. For me, it was hard because I was carrying around more weight. But as the weight came off, it became easier. I started running outside, and it was hell. It does get easier though. I started doing "races" too, in quotes because I'm really not against anyone or trying to win, just trying to finish with a strong time. Started with a 5K a month ago, did an 8K last weekend, now I have a 10K Sunday. It's the best feeling to cross that finish line!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    When you first start running, you wonder what the hell you are doing, and why you are doing it. But it does get easier, as others have been saying. It can become a joyful addiction! If you stick with it, you may never want to live without it again. :happy:
  • lolakey
    Options
    I did the couch to 5K program and ended up running a 5K. I probably won't run again unless I'm being chased. I didn't like how it made my body feel. I'm very athletic and love to bike, do yoga, hike, but running never felt right. There was only one time when I was able to run 5 miles straight and it felt great, but that hasn't happened since. I am proud of myself for finishing the program and being able to say that I ran a race.

Good luck and take your time. You'll get there!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were sprinting. You need to be jogging. Next time you go make sure of a few things--

You should be able to say a few words in a row.
    You should be able to breathe through your nose for a few breaths in a row.
    Your feet should be landing right beneath you, meaning you shouldn't be making big strides.
    Stand up straight with your shoulders relaxed but abdominal muscles engaged, and breathe into your stomach, not your chest. This means you can't suck your stomach in...let it relax when you take a breath.

DON'T try to catch up with ANYONE. You hate running now because you're sprinting and trying to hold someone else's pace. You need to jog at your own comfortable pace.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I too have started to run with a long term goal of entering a 20k race next year. I have never been very good at track and field, even when I was a lot smaller. I am ... ummm... top heavy to put it politely, or at least I use to be. As I lose weight that seems to be what is now getting smaller. Anyways, I too hate running, but I am trying to stick with it and give myself the chance to start enjoying it. So far though, I don't like it. I don't like how it makes everything bounce up and down and I feel like I don't have very good technique. I basically just feel awkward running. Also, I become out of breath and I cramp up quickly.

Good luck with running and know there are others that feel your pain! I look forward to reading what other people post about this topic!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I agree... slow down! Don't run so hard that you feel like you're going to pass out on your first day! Also, did you eat before you ran?? You might want to eat something like a banana, piece of toast, or something an hour or so before running.

I hated running in High school, I could NOT run a mile in gym class. I didn't start til I was 27 (4 years ago) and have since finished 2 half marathons and 1 full marathon! Keep at it!

Jess
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I didn't get into it until I was 38. That was last year, and things aren't going like I want them to, but I'm working on getting back to running.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying: Running doesn't mean you need to be fast. Go at your own pace. You'll speed up over time.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! They have all helped out A LOT!!

KatWood... I have that problem too.. about the "bouncing" but I have found a GREAT bra... Its a high active sports bra... I forget who its made by, but I bought it in walmart for like $20. Its size 38D and Im size 42DD... I can do it up.. its a wee tight... but not uncomfortably tight and works VERY VERY well. I would look into them.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Buying bras always puts me in a bad mood! I definitely could use a good sports bra though...
    Unfortunately those aren't the only things that bounce. To bad they don't make a bum bra :laugh: