The strength training conundrum

Options
Hey guys... I religiously use the site to track my fittness goals but have yet to use the communtiy forums. I am looking forward to sharing ideas and soo could use some help right now.

Back 12 weeks ago I started a fittness challenge at the gym. I have been working with a trainer and have revamped how I eat as well as the amount of activity I get. Things are going well but I still feel as though I don't know what to do on my own when I strength train. I tend to be nervous around all of the weights and people who seem to know so well what they are doing. I feel if I had a set plan of what workouts to do on my own I'd be more confident.

Any ideas on good websites that are preferrably free that can help you to create a customized workout schedule? Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Amy

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Grab a copy of Oxygen Magazine. They have a fair amount of strength training workouts that are both for the home and the gym. I have a subscription, but I also just got a sort of book that is available on magazine stands right now as well for getting ready for summer. Looks good so far!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You said you worked with a trainer? Did they not show you weigth liting/proper form, etc? They should, and they should have also create a schedule for you...I am a member of the local Y - and we get 3 free half hour sessions, and that has been enough for me to learn all the equipment and they did up two different routines for me so far.....i would contact your trainer :)
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about stumptuous.com. She has a section there on training and even a beginner's workout (either a full body or an upper/lower body split).
    I feel the exact same way you do. I'm intimidated by the weights and so I tend to overdo the cardio because I don't know what else to do. I should take my own advice and do the beginner program. I bought a book called the new rules of lifting for women and everyone swears by it but even the beginning exercises seem too advanced for me (I'm quite sure I'd fall on my face if I attempted a swiss ball jackknife).
    My gym has a circuit of machines near the cardio deck and I will do those but I feel sort of loserish doing it because I know free weights are better but I'm just fearful that I'm not doing it right or I'm going to look stupid or something.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Amy, I don't have a suggestion for you about websites, but your trainer should be able to help you.

I have also had to move through being intimidated by the equipment at the gym. Today for the first time ever I used the Smith machine without my trainer around. It is hard to describe just how overwhelming I have found it all. On the other hand, I found it very empowering today to be doing what I want to do and know I'm working hard and doing a workout worthy of my trainer. It's been 10 months since I joined the gym and it's only been in the past two weeks that I've been doing any kind of strength training without my trainer by my side.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am interested too.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You said you worked with a trainer? Did they not show you weigth liting/proper form, etc? They should, and they should have also create a schedule for you...I am a member of the local Y - and we get 3 free half hour sessions, and that has been enough for me to learn all the equipment and they did up two different routines for me so far.....i would contact your trainer :)

I was thinking the same thing. Your trainer should have showed you and set you up with a few different routines.
  • kaestes1
    kaestes1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this, I feel exactly the same way! In fact, I just searched my entire apartment looking for anything I could use as free weights to avoid the awkwardness I feel at the gym. I really want to get over it!
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Your trainer should of given you a program to workout on your own. If they have not given you a program make sure you ask for one and get a program from them. Your trainer would know what is best for you if they are a good trainer and would be able to give you the best program. I was also nervous about working out on my own but I got a great program from my trainer that not only included the names of the exercises, but also the weight I should be lifting, how many sets/reps and pictures that demonstrated each exercise. That helped out a lot and I feel so confident now that I'm working more on my own that with the trainer.
    Don't be intimidated. If you need help with a machine ask and someone will help you and don't worry about who's watching because everyone else is too busy doing their own thing to watch you.
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can go to You Tube and search things like "Cybex proper form" (for the typical gym machines) or "free weights proper form" - you'll get decent tutorials there.
    Or you can go to About.com and search for "upper body exercise" or "best back exercises", etc. they have decent options with good pictures for reference.
    Either way I'd suggest taking notes in a small notebook that you take with you to the gym.
    Also, at any decent gym you should be able to ask any of the employees to show you proper form on the machines...you aren't asking for training...just how to use the machinery correctly.
    Good luck and keep up the good work!!
  • keareestin
    keareestin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Grab a copy of Oxygen Magazine. They have a fair amount of strength training workouts that are both for the home and the gym. I have a subscription, but I also just got a sort of book that is available on magazine stands right now as well for getting ready for summer. Looks good so far!

I highly recommend Robert Kennedy's Oxygen Women's Fitness magazine. Over a year ago a friend of mine recommended that I subscribe when I asked her for strength training tips. RK's Oxygen magazine has been my best resource for women's fitness (although this website and livestrong are very helpful too.) I have saved work outs from the magazine. I keep them in a binder and switch up my exercises when I reach a plateau or need a new challenge.

I also agree that your trainer should have shown you how to do exercises on your own.
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for over a year now, and I was pretty intimidated at first, too.

My husband taught me the basics and helped me perfect my form. Beyond that, I got a subscription to Oxygen magazine and read The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Life Like a Man, Look Like A Goddess, which can be found on Amazon.

www.bodybuilding.com and www.stumptuous.com are both great resources as well. Both have tons of videos to teach you about form and technique.

I followed the plan at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm for twelve weeks to get me started. I've since found what my favorite exercises are and tailor my workout around them and my running schedule.

You said you had a trainer. Did s/he not teach you the proper techniques? If not, then you need to find a new trainer!

If nothing else, just ask someone. It's intimidating at first, but I promise you that the majority of people will be more than willing to help you out. I can also promise you tat every single one of those people in the gym who look like they know what they are doing had to learn, just like you.

You can do this, and you'll love the results! Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and while he hasn't given me a workout program per say, I take what he has do me during our sessions and make them into my own routines. Like for today, I did about 6 different machines, hanging knee raises and lunges with a medicine ball. All things he has me do but not necessarily together. The next time I do weights, I'll prob. do a mix of machines and free weights.

I also worry that the other trainers or my trainer is watching me being like what the heck is she doing, but once i pop in my music I kinda zone out and do my own thing.