Exercise and the flu

Options
Well, people at work have been coughing and hacking all around me for a couple of weeks, and now I finally got whatever it is. Started on Friday (my "off" day for working out) with a bad sore throat, and has gotten progressively worse. I now have coughing, body ache, headache, runny nose, chills and a low grade fever. I have been hydrating and resting and taking Advil. No long run on Saturday and no workout today. I am able of course to sit up and type this but I am pretty fatigued. My apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere on these boards, but how do you all feel about working out during illness? I haven't done a thing since Thursday and I want to get back at it, but I also do not want to prolong my flu symptoms. I have found out I have pretty good willpower, so I know I can force myself to do it if it comes down to it. No worries, I will be consulting with my doctor tomorrow but wanted to see what others' opinions are on working out while sick.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Better off not to! :noway:

I know you want to, I'm the same way. But, the body needs it's energy to recoup.

That said, nothing wrong with stretching! :smile:

Rest and get well and then hit it hard!

:bigsmile:
  • thisisjulz
    Options
    I let myself heal and get back into it when I feel better.
    Get well soon!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Getting dressed can seem like exerercise during a flu. But when sick I just change to pilates, the easy streching type. Or I focus on diet and nutrients, like mega doses of vitamon C. I view it as a time to prepare for my return to health. Read a book on strength training, or catch up on lost ZZZZZ's, check out what exercise ruitine other people here are trying and take walk in the sun if you can. Rebuild and be ready to roll when well.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If your leg were broken would you keep running to try to stay fit? Take the time to recover properly. The flu won't last long and it won't ruin your progress. What's a few days or a week? And odds are you're not going to be eating 3000 calories a day so you'll probably still lose weight and your muscle capacity won't change at all in the time it takes you to get back up to speed.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to spend its energy on recovering not on exercising. Rest until you're better and make sure you eat, your body needs the fuel to fight your illness.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The convention of working out through a cold is this. If the cold is above the neck, ie headcold, go work out. if the cold is below the neck, ie lungs, don't. With just a headcold, even though it feels like it, your breathing is not impaired and you can work out just fine. (just remember to clean everything after you touch it lol) I just worked out through a headcold and had some fantastic workouts both cardio and weight wise. I was not affected at all and got over my cold in a week. It's just a cold. You may feel like crap but you're not really that sick. Yes, I missed a day of work, mostly cause I didnt want to infect everyone I worked with, but I worked out twice that day and had a good time in the gym.
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing as you right now. Mine started on Wednesday with a sore throat & ears. It had me down in bed all day Thursday with low grade fever, body aches, VERY sore throat, and fatigue. I went to the doctor on Friday to make sure it wasn't Strep Throat & it wasn't. Now throat is better, but still coughing and head has filled up. Energy is up a little now too.

I say best bet is to give yourself the rest your body needs to fight the bug. Adjust your calories slightly to coordinate with your lowered activity level. Definitately keep hydrated! Add in the activity a little at a time as you feel your energy come back. Don't jump right back in and over-do things but rather test the waters and listen to your body. I just today found the energy to go out for a nice little walk with my daughter. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just take a break until your feeling better. Regardless off what kind of cold it is, you can set yourself back weeks in progress. If your training for some epic event the go knock yourself out. But my advise is to just recoup and watch what your eating. The road will be there after your cold.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the well wishes and great advice!