I'm very frustrated

octoberlightning
octoberlightning Posts: 29
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I didn't lose and weight this week and I felt like I done alright, I stayed below or around 1600 calories every single day during the week. I exercised at least 3 times this week (30 minutes each time) and I still didn't lose one single pound. I never really realized how much being a type 2 diabetic and having PCOS really changes how your body loses weight. I'm debating to myself whether I should try harder or just not try at all anymore.

I feel disappointed in some way because I feel like my body is going against what I really want and need. Physically I didn't feel any different than when I was eating junk food (now I'm eating fruits, veggies, low fat & low carb stuff and not drinking sodas hardly any...and drinking more water). I'm tired all the time, feel like I have to sleep almost all of the time...it's a constant thing for me....I just feel like I'm failing.

Replies

• bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    When did you begin? I know when I first switch over to my diet I was really tired all the time. I traded in soda for water and the lack of caffinee about killed me.
  • I started the diet a couple of weeks ago.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Any chance your thyroid is underfunctioning?
  • JenniB619
    JenniB619 Posts: 85 Member
    dont give up! Its only one week, you cant expect yourself to get results right away. Just keep at it. What kind of exercises r you doing? Maybe you need to up the exercises more. Or try a program out. Jillian Michaels has good work out dvds that are only like 12 bucks.. It takes time to get/see results so dont expect them right away.
  • I have no clue, I haven't really thought about my thyroid.

I may do that Jenni, I've just been walking down the road I live on for 30 minutes a day/3-4 times a week.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Really don't give up! It took me 3 weeks to even see any weight loss at all. For me it started very very slowly. Sometimes your body needs time to adjust. Just keep at everything.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    I echo everyone's comments - Keep it up! At first it takes a while, you've just shocked your body with new foods and exercise. It needs tiem to adjust.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    wow, you sound like me! lol, although unfortunate for me, i don't have a reason such as PCOS or diabetes to help explain it. don't give up because of one week, i have had a few weeks where i didn't lose anything. and when i started my new job 2 weeks ago, i actually gained! losing weight is done best as a slow and steady process. even if you don't feel any different now, just think how it will be in a months time.....2 months time...a year! eating healthy isn't JUST about losing weight, it's about becoming a healthy person all around, and with both PCOS and diabetes on your plate, it's more important for you to eat healthy. it will be tougher for you for sure, but don't let it discourage you. you can do it, and people here are always ready to give you pep talks when needed :)
  • I remember the last time I lost weight, I lost just about 40 lbs in less than 2 months only because a medicine I was taking was making me sick (nauseated kind) and I didn't feel like eating anything. And I was really depressed during that time so I kept on taking it for the 2 months so I could lose weight. I eventually stopped taking it, then I gained back at least half of that weight. I got down to 220 (and I was about 260 or so when I started taking the med).

If I was desperate enough, I would do that again but I don't ever want to make myself intentionally sick so I can lose weight (not again anyway since I am taking depression meds now).
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Are you depressed? I know that's a very personal thing, but what you said just made me think it's not about the diabetes or the diet, but physical symptoms of depression.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    it takes time for your body to get adjusted... don't give up! Remember even if it takes a little time for it to show on the scales it is helping your over-all health!
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    You are making changes for the rest of your life. Unfortunately its not going to happen overnight or in a week. Stay consistent and log everything you eat and drink. Staying honest with yourself is the way to go and the only way you will see results.
    Dont give up!!!! You will start to lose weight and then you may stall. Your body will fight you, but you have to fight back.

Be good to yourself and give yourself credit..... You signed up! That was the first step!
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Stick with it! I know how hard it is! I have a thyroid problem and struggle with depression. I have been dieting and working out 6 times a week for 30-60 minutes and have been gaining very very slowly. I will go months with out losing but then the next month I will see 4 or 5 lbs drop off. Stick with it!! It will pay off in the end and you will feel better.
  • Thanks to everyone who has posted...I never really thought so many people would reply to my post lol. I've always been the kind of person that expects results when I start something new. I have seriously been craving those foods that I haven't ate in a while and my mind just keeps on telling me "just eat whatever you want, life is too short" but I keep myself from doing it b/c i wanna stick around here for my family as long as I possibly can.
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Thanks to everyone who has posted...I never really thought so many people would reply to my post lol. I've always been the kind of person that expects results when I start something new. I have seriously been craving those foods that I haven't ate in a while and my mind just keeps on telling me "just eat whatever you want, life is too short" but I keep myself from doing it b/c i wanna stick around here for my family as long as I possibly can.

Life is short, but you want to be able to live it while you are here. Keep doing the right thing. You will succeed!!! Believe me.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Hang in there Kristy. One week is NOTHING. I know you're discouraged but I promise you what you are doing makes a difference even if you can't feel it just now. Not all changes are measurable on the scale, some of them only happen in your brain and heart. :)

If no one has told you yet, let me mention this... don't get too focused on the scale. That device is NOT your friend. It's not even the best way to know if your changes are taking hold unless it also does a body fat analysis. These past 10 months have been the most amazing of my life in the sense that I have learned what is really important to me (my health) and I've figured out how to pursue that. I'm not as young as I used to be and I don't lose weight as easily. From mid-October through the end of February I didn't lose a single pound. I worked out. I pretty much kept to a conservative diet. I processed a LOT of emotion. But I didn't lose pounds. My body composition changed in big ways though. I lost a dress size. (Yes, without losing a pound I lost a dress size.) I grew in my confidence as I worked with my trainer. I set new goals that had nothing to do with weight. And ultimately, I decided to get some serious skin in the game and figure out what was keeping me from losing weight. I got the metabolic testing done that my doctor and trainer both thought I needed to do. I got answers to why I wasn't losing weight and made the necessary adjustments.

I know you don't feel it right this moment, but I promise you, when you show more progress you'll look back at this time and say "that wasn't anything to worry about" as long as you stick to your goals and do the things you should do. My character changed in this past year. I've never in my whole life, in any area of my life, stuck to a principle when I wasn't getting the rewards I wanted (before this). Did your momma ever tell you that hard work is it's own reward? She was right. I can say that those several months were hard work and the only "reward" I could connect to was being able to say I was working hard. Almost two months (and 9 pounds) later I can say it was totally worth it. You will too if you stick to it.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    NEVER GIVE UP!! Anything worth having is difficult! You can do this... set small goals and work towards your goal!!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Hey if it makes you feel better, I ate under 1300 every day this week, walked 2+ miles every day, and did a 2hr high intensity aerobic class yesterday (super sore today) and I gained 6 pounds. Yes, 6 in one week. And I'm 5'2.

I'd say our situations are probably a combination of water retination, weight of food/drinks, clothes, and underestimating the amount we ate.
  • Don't give up!! I have PCOS and it takes a little more time for us to lose the weight.

I eat very healthy, work out 5-6 days a week cardio and a little strenght, and it took me 6 weeks to lose 3 pounds. BUT I will add, inches have come off a little steadier and they will for you as well, if you DON'T GIVE UP!!! You can do this!
This discussion has been closed.