Still So Hungry!

Options
I woke up this morning SO HUNGRY...And of course I was running late for work so I grabbed breakfast to-go, which was 10 Honey Wheat Pretzel Twists (110 calories), a large apple (100 calories), Yogurt (110 calories), and FF/SF Hot Chocolate Mix (25 calories). Well, I ate ALL of that, and I was still hungry! So I hate my mo rning snack at 8:30 :grumble: Which was Reduced Fat Cheese Crackers with Peanutbutter (170 calories). I'm already up to 515 calories and I'm STILL hungry!! I'm counting down the hours to lunch and it's only 9:00. Part of it could be because TOM showed up yesterday...But what do you do when you feel this way?

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning SO HUNGRY...And of course I was running late for work so I grabbed breakfast to-go, which was 10 Honey Wheat Pretzel Twists (110 calories), a large apple (100 calories), Yogurt (110 calories), and FF/SF Hot Chocolate Mix (25 calories). Well, I ate ALL of that, and I was still hungry! So I hate my mo rning snack at 8:30 :grumble: Which was Reduced Fat Cheese Crackers with Peanutbutter (170 calories). I'm already up to 515 calories and I'm STILL hungry!! I'm counting down the hours to lunch and it's only 9:00. Part of it could be because TOM showed up yesterday...But what do you do when you feel this way?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I eat more calorie dense foods and foods with lots of fiber.
    Nuts, really nutty/wheaty bread....

***Edit: I find when I focus on the "diet" types of foods I am more hungry. Simply because they don't satisy (at least not me). Maybe rethink what you eat and when.

Did you drink any water?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Drink water, lots of it. And maybe rethink the types of foods your eating, and go with higher fiber foods.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem but I had TOM twice this month already a week apart and my bodyi is going nuts.

I hope someone can help you cuz I need it to! I have gained back 2 pounds out of nowhere and its insane!
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem EVERY month but it lasts a couple days usually before TOM arrives. I HATE it and I hope theres some good solutions on here!

76013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • NewMK08
    Options
    True, my breakfast choices probably weren't the best...But I normally have 2 slices of whole wheat toast, an apple, and yogurt and I'm fine. The only thing different this morning were the pretzel twists.

I am downing a bottle of water as I type...And my urge to eat isn't as strong...But I could tear into the lunch I packed right about now!! :laugh:
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have heard that you should allow yourself 100-200 extra calories around TOM because your body is going through so much.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you trying to eat every day?? You sound HUNGRY. Like you're not giving yourself a big enough breakfast to get to snacktime.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    How many calories are you trying to eat every day?? You sound HUNGRY. Like you're not giving yourself a big enough breakfast to get to snacktime.

I'm trying to get 1300-1400 calories a day, but I haven't been eating all of my exercise calories. (I know...I know...But there has been so much controversey lately I was just going to try it. Obviously not everybody agrees with eating your exercise cals.) I guess I'll go check my BMR and see what that number is and maybe bump my calories up if it's higher...But eating so many calories is kind of scary!!
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    Buy some slim fast for times like this. I don't use it daily I use it for times like this. When I'm hungry but I know I don't need anymore. It really does make you not hungry for 4 hours or more.

Or drinks lots of water, snack on veggies or fruit
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    Ok this is great I've never heard TOM what's it stand for? It's much better then aunt flow
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me I have to "make time for me" or I cannot function in other areas of my life such as work. I've been taught breakfast is the most important meal. It sets the pace, for me, for the whole rest of the day of "fueling" my busy body, LOL:) Yes, it takes time to make a healthy breakfast but I believe in doing that, I am fueled up and I usually don't even want a snack before lunch. But I do go ahead as I need the calories(I do 5 meals a day including snacks). You sound like you are a calorie burning machine!! On the go, working and God only knows what else you do. So your body needs it's fuel. Don't be afraid to eat!! This dang world has scared people into believing if we eat we get fat. That is a lie. It is what we eat and the portions. It is how active we are and how many healthy calories we need a day. I eat from the 5 food groups with no "fake" anything. I eat meats, vegies, fruits, dairy and whole grains. I eat all things in moderation and I am losing weight. I do drink water as one gal reminded above. It sounds selfish but if we don't take care of "us" we can't do for others whether it's family, friends or work. Oh, another thing I realized for me is that I have to know ahead what Im going to eat. If I wait til last minute, I grab anything and sometime nothing because I sit there and can't think of what I want so a little planning really helps too:)

denise in Sams Valley Oregon
    PS keep posting, we all need eachother:)
    Check out the recipe forum, wow, there are so many "filling" ideas, LOL, for breakfast:)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to eat those calories. It works!! It is absolutely contrary to what is "preached" in this world "eat less exercise more". Like I said in my other post, I am now losing weight:) Just remember "fuel burns". Food is fuel for our bodies:) If we don't have fuel to burn, our bodies actually store fat and if the fat isn't burning then our bods gotta eat something else, eeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooo:sad: See my little running guy?? He is as round as the day I started here. Because he runs all the time, but, he never eats, LOL!!!

I'm trying to get 1300-1400 calories a day, but I haven't been eating all of my exercise calories. (I know...I know...But there has been so much controversey lately I was just going to try it. Obviously not everybody agrees with eating your exercise cals.) I guess I'll go check my BMR and see what that number is and maybe bump my calories up if it's higher...But eating so many calories is kind of scary!!
  • wynsdayschild
    Options
    I agree w/ the others here...water! also you may want to have protein in the morning around TOM. It works for me...keeps me fuller longer.
  • armitchum
    Options
    Don't fret. We all have been there. What works for me is drinking hot tea (flavored or unflavored) with Equal or Splenda and that usually curbs my appetite. I hope it works for you.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If this is your normal breakfast and it's unusual for you to be hungry than I would assume that the hunger is more a result of being stressed about running late than it is about your diet. The yogurt has plenty of protien and the apple adds fiber. If you're so hungry that you're distracted and unable to focus than eat a small snack. If you can manage it, stay on your regular routine and as the stress evens out, so will the hunger.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok this is great I've never heard TOM what's it stand for? It's much better then aunt flow

time of month:grumble:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think at that time of month you should load up on protien and iron. It has been a while since I have thought about this subject....I remember when I was on a diet in my early 30's. I was not eating any beef at all, and staying on 1200 cals a day ( without getting to eat my exercise cals:cry: )

Anyway my trainer friend told me to grill up some chicken or lean beef and cut them in slices.(he said beef is better due to the iron content) He said 1st thing in the morning, eat a 1 oz piece. I thought he was nuts, but was tired of eating myself to oblivion on my 'days'. Well it worked like a charm.

I was still a bit hungrier than normal, but something in that chicken staunched the need to eat and eat and eat!

I hope this helps even a little!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with Arewethereyet. It looks like there's very little protein in this breakfast... You could get a bigger protein boost from trying one of the Greek yogurts, like Fage - they pack 10-13 grams of protein in an 80-120 calorie serving.

I had been struggling with major morning hunger, too, until I just decided one day to have my 200 calories of oatmeal at 8am and nothing else until noon.

I know I'm going to spark some controversy with this comment, but I'll make it anyway:

A lot of hunger is habit. If you get out of the habit of eating several times in the morning - or eating more than say 300 calories - your stomach will get used to it. And it's not unhealthy.

Check out nu-kitchen.com for some interesting eating plans for people at different calorie levels.

Hope this is helpful, or at least thought-provoking.
  • imdawn
    imdawn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    TOM is the worst! :grumble: I have went over 1200 calories the last 4 days in a row...then I feel guilty as hell cause I DO still put them in my food log :blushing: ...anyways today is a new day!

Breakfast for me is a Lean Pocket- sausage, egg, and cheese...really good :tongue: keep me full until lunch 140 calories

If my stomach is still growling then I'll have Cheerios (the fruit ones-dry) 3/4 cup they are like 110 calories and drink water like no tomorrow :drinker: